Username
Password

05:39 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
more heart
Endure and survive
Poughkeepsie, NY
Male - 23 Years Old
To this day, I still don't understand why anyone would choose an Android over an iPhone. Not hating, I just don't get it.
Not everyone can drop $200+ for a phone on top of the contract. C'mon.
05:56 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't get what's hard to understand about it. Android offers many features that iPhone is lacking in, and if you purchase one of their more high-end devices, they are virtually lag free, with 8 mp cameras (or better), HD video, SD storage, batteries you can swap out with ease, etc.

I paid $299 for my Android phone at my upgrade price instead of the $299 32GB iPhone 4 and still have no regrets. Came with a 32GB micro sd card, too, and 4G LTE.

Both phones are great, depending on what you need, though. I may give iPhone a shot for my next phone. I do love my Macbook Pro, anyways. However, I really love having flash player, built-in navigation, 4G LTE and being able to download 3rd party apps from the internet with no jailbreak are nice, as well. Plus, fully customizable homescreens with widgets galore! You can literally download any app from the internet with a .apk extension and install it on your phone. Very handy.

Plus, Google Music cloud storage rocks. Free storage of all my music online that I can access from any computer and on my phone.
05:58 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
To this day, I still don't understand why anyone would choose an Android over an iPhone. Not hating, I just don't get it.
I thought the same thing until I got my Samsung Galaxy II. My friends with iPhones even admit it's just as good if not better. Plus the screen is so much bigger.
06:00 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
I thought the same thing until I got my Samsung Galaxy II. My friends with iPhones even admit it's just as good if not better. Plus the screen is so much bigger.

For real? I've never used that phone so I can't comment on it, but no Android I've ever used has even come close to an iPhone for me. I'll have to give it a test drive.
06:02 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
For real? I've never used that phone so I can't comment on it, but no Android I've ever used has even come close to an iPhone for me. I'll have to give it a test drive.
I think the third version came out recently. I think they're comparable phones but the screen size was a big plus for me with Netflix and stuff. I've had it since Christmas and it's been great to me.
06:03 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old

Samsung really knows how to build a phone. I am looking into getting a Galaxy SIII when that comes out in Verizon, soon. Their Google Galaxy Nexus is also a very solid phone with pure Android Ice Cream Sandwich.

HTC tends to really know how to make a good looking UI on their phones along with a very smooth experience, as well. My HTC Thunderbolt barely ever lags. Thing's dying lately, though. I beat the hell out of my phones lol.
06:04 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
No Avatar Selected
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
Because android is a far far superior operating system?
06:19 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Because android is a far far superior operating system?

How exactly?

I'm not sure which model is, but a friend of mine has a Samsung Android (just got it earlier this year), and it's incredibly slow and clunky feeling. Apps are always crashing, the operating system seems slow and laggy, the camera takes forever to take a photo, among other things.

The iPhone 4S is hands down the best phone I've ever used, in my opinion. Again, not hating.
07:40 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
crimes
douchebag
\m/assachusetts
Male - 20 Years Old
How exactly?

I'm not sure which model is, but a friend of mine has a Samsung Android (just got it earlier this year), and it's incredibly slow and clunky feeling. Apps are always crashing, the operating system seems slow and laggy, the camera takes forever to take a photo, among other things.

The iPhone 4S is hands down the best phone I've ever used, in my opinion. Again, not hating.

it really all depends on how much dough you drop for the phone. i've had two android devices, the LG Ally and the Samsung Droid Charge (which is what i currently have). the Ally was about $79 brand new and was clunky as hell. i remember at one point, the photo gallery took over 15 seconds to fully load and would eventually crash after flicking through a few times. now i purchased my Droid Charge refurbished for about $50, but the new retail value of it was $199 at the time, i believe. i've never had a problem with it, other than the fact that the battery is total shit which can easily be fixed with a car charger.

moral of the story/tl;dr - you get what you pay for with both, really. unless your friend just has shit luck with phones
07:45 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old
Yeah, 4G phones are absolute drains on battery life. I think that smartphone makers have been getting a lot smarter about that lately, though. I've heard that the newer HTC phones have great battery which shocks me since my last two were pretty bad xD. I last a day though so I don't care too much about charging nightly.
08:30 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
Tinnerz
Arlington, VA
Female - 26 Years Old
I had a Motorola Atrix previously, what a piece of shit that turned out to be. It started rebooting and 3 replacement phones later I gave up on it and Motorola forever. Turned that fucker in for an HTC One X, which is lovely. Battery life is good enough for me, but I also usually charge it every night while I'm sleeping.
03:11 AM on 06/29/12 
User Info.
MarkJ801
Salt Lake City, UT
Male - 26 Years Old

Easy, it's all about open-source.

Not to mention price. I pay $25 a month with unlimited data and text and more than enough talk, yet I have an awesome rooted, modded Android phone.

Also, check this out: http://cnettv.cnet.com/reasons-andro...-50095696.html (This video is a little outdated, but the points are mostly still true)
03:50 AM on 06/29/12 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
done
How exactly?

brannnnndiiiiiinnnnnn

I have a samsung galaxy s2 and it's rad, it's so fast. The only downside is it comes with Samsung's shitty TouchWiz on but I put a custom Samsung ROM with TouchWiz and all the bloatware apps on it removed and now it fucking flies. I was gonna upgrade to the Galaxy S3 this year but there's not much point, I'm going to let this contract run then look at my options.

I did a restore by accident the other day and went back to gingerbread, fuck me it is slow as shit compared to ICS, maybe it's because of TouchWiz or what, I don't know; but it was awful.
01:46 PM on 06/29/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 22 Years Old
Easy, it's all about open-source.

Not to mention price. I pay $25 a month with unlimited data and text and more than enough talk, yet I have an awesome rooted, modded Android phone.

Also, check this out: http://cnettv.cnet.com/reasons-andro...-50095696.html (This video is a little outdated, but the points are mostly still true)

I love having a rooted phone. Also, great video you posted there. The only false thing about it currently is that iPhone is no longer JUST on ATT.

Hey, anybody see this?

Google's new voice search in Jelly Bean is faster than Siri and sounds more human. Interesting. I really cannot decide if I want an iPhone or another Android phone next >_<.
01:27 AM on 06/30/12 
User Info.
TheBaroness
Melbourne, Australia
Female - 31 Years Old
About to swap my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy 3 after playing with my friend's and being amazed by it. Android is a bit tricky to get used to at first after the simplicity of iOS but the options and features of the Galaxy 3 are far superior to the current iPhone IMO. Also, I love the bigger display which actually makes messages/maps/websites/ebooks readable for me.

This is a pretty big switch for me since I've had an iPhone since the first generation and I'm totally wedded to iTunes and iCloud, but Apple is starting to lag behind on their phone tech to an unacceptable degree. I'm not holding out a great deal of hope that the iPhone 5 will offer a significant improvement on the 4S - I doubt they'll make any drastic changes to the operating system or even to the design of the phone. A bigger screen at least would be a good start on getting some ground back on the Galaxy 3 and might tempt me back to Apple, but I think they'll still fall short of what Samsung is offering.

The smartest thing Samsung did was get the jump on the iPhone 5. I know so many people who've had to replace their iPhone 4 and have jumped straight to the Galaxy 3 because the 4S is just not up to its standard.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos