Username
Password

10:14 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
There should be an app-based solution for most of the issues you're reporting - i.e. for a web browser, I suggest Dolphin HD or Chrome (both have tabs); you might want to download a battery monitor and an 'app killer' (Android keeps apps running in the background, often without your knowledge, and an app killer will help you monitor that and kill apps you don't need running); and I'm pretty sure you can get better email clients that will more effectively support Push. Also, if you don't like your 'launcher' on the HTC you can get one that's more to your tastes.

Basically, the main difference I've found between iOS and Android is that everything sits on the surface with iOS, with Android there are layers upon layers and if you're coming from iOS and not accustomed to that, you kind of forget or overlook the fact that you really can dig deep into the phone and pretty much access or mod everything that's going on in there.

After using the android for almost a week I've begun to deal with it. The battery isn't horrible considering how much more I'm using my phone. I'm using dolphin browser, but I've had chrome on my tablet and might move to that soon. Oddly enough, its the phone aspect now that's posing problems. But I'll master it in time.
I still think I'll switch to the Samsung S3 this weekend just cause the HTC has let me down with stuff live charging time, GPS, and lacking a sd card slot.
After doing research, Push email doesn't seem to be a feature Android phones do well, or even at all for that matter. K_9 is working okay but its nowhere near blackberry or iPhone well.

I don't know how to get the phone to hookup to my iPhone ready car so that kinda sucks. But after doing a speed test my LTE is getting 30mb download, that's 5 mb better than my home internet. So I'm very much enjoying the speed of the internet and processor of my phone. But now I have to wonder if windows might to it all better.
10:15 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
Anyone have launcher recommendations? Not even sure which one I'm running now but just looking for something that can conserve more battery (if change of launcher would even make a difference).

apex launcher would be one of the best especially over sense if ^ is right. but rooting your phone would probably have a better impact on battery life
10:17 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
if you're upset about lack of SD card you should have researched more but your internet speed there means that cloud storage would be perfect for you.
10:19 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
Staff Member
I saw that you said that you have the HTC one V IIRC, I have heard apex launcher and nova launcher are good for ICS devices.

apex launcher would be one of the best especially over sense if ^ is right. but rooting your phone would probably have a better impact on battery life

Haha yeah I rooted mine the second I got it. I guess the ROM I flashed came with LauncherPro and I just downloaded ADW. I'll play around with the ones that are more ICS based though.
10:25 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
Why would you download Firefox? That's known to be one of the worst browsers out there - on computers and ESPECIALLY on Android. That things been getting so many negative reviews around the Droid websites XD. Trust me on this one- Try out Dolphin Browser HD. I don't think you will regret it. I've been using this browser for years and I love it.

I agree on GPS sucking on HTC. I don't know if this is with all android phones because I've only owned an HTC Incredible and HTC Thunderbolt, but GPS did take forever to lock on in both. At least android even has built-in navigation, unlike Apple (although I hear the new iOS will have it?).
Firefox is actually a really good browser on desktops. Furthermore I think it's the second most common after.explorer. Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape has been around for ages. It's new to the app game but I'm sure will do well soon.

Built in nav is good. So now I'm trying to find a way to hook it up through my car speakers so I can hear while I drive. But at the end of the day 1 thing I realize is that I don't use my laptop that much anymore.

I I used the voice transcribing to type this
10:31 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
if you're upset about lack of SD card you should have researched more but your internet speed there means that cloud storage would be perfect for you.

I researched the phone fully . It's just that coming from a 16 gigabyte iPhone, it seemed like more than enough. but now you have a completely different phone that's capable of more things, thus you need more space and that I did not take into account and I don't think many people coming from an iphone would.
10:33 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
I researched the phone fully . It's just that coming from a 16 gigabyte iPhone, it seemed like more than enough. but now you have a completely different phone that's capable of more things, thus you need more space and that I did not take into account and I don't think many people coming from an iphone would.

ah right then my bad. as I said try out cloud stuff. if I'm right you got 25gb space from dropbox which can be I used for pictures, music and video.
10:43 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
I should be getting a one x over the weekend but I don't want to root it because I don't want to void my warranty. was thinking about getting the nexus 7 to play with roots and using the for developing on through the last two years of my degree, mostly I want it because its the perfect size for me. I find ipads too big but getting a 7 inch tablet in addition 4.7 inch phone seems redundant.
10:58 AM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
Because the phones are so thin I can deal with a bigger screen. I prefer the look of HOx but S3 seems more versatile. Ideally if the ion was thinner and had better hardware I'd be all over it. I love what Sony does internationally but they brought the garbage to America. Well all phone manufactures being their garbage. Dual core when quad is available claiming it doesn't play well with lte is rubbish. I truly believe that quad core is reserved for the iPhone. That saddens me but worldwide people aren't going to wait for the iPhone when they already have respectable android phones
07:45 AM on 07/06/12 
User Info.
spiffa0
Remember, be a thinking actor.
Westmont, NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
Is there any risk to rooting a phone?
08:02 AM on 07/06/12 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
SAVE.US_EMB11D
Collegeville, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
I've had a Motorola Atrix for about a year and love it. Thinking about buying this once I get some spending money. I agree about the iPhone screen, it doesn't seem small until you use an Android. Not sure why they haven't increased the screen size yet, I would assume there's room to make it a bit bigger.
08:34 AM on 07/06/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Light without heat
Male - 28 Years Old
Is there any risk to rooting a phone?

Yeah, you can potentially brick it which voids the warranty and leaves you with a nice paperweight.
08:44 AM on 07/06/12 
User Info.
Whalejaw
Hi Mr. Meeseeks! I'm Mr. Meeseeks!
Dayton, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
It's pretty hard to completely brick your phone.
10:13 PM on 07/10/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
I just switched the HTC One x to Galaxy 3 and Wow, thank you. Galaxy is way more user friendly, better speakers (f u beatsaudio), way better battery, it lasts longer and charges faster. And the music player is kinder. Die HTC, i feel that they should go the way of RIM.
I almost filled my 11gbs up but thanks to an SD slot i'll be good once I order one.
03:12 AM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
I just switched the HTC One x to Galaxy 3 and Wow, thank you. Galaxy is way more user friendly, better speakers (f u beatsaudio), way better battery, it lasts longer and charges faster. And the music player is kinder. Die HTC, i feel that they should go the way of RIM.
I almost filled my 11gbs up but thanks to an SD slot i'll be good once I order one.
Surprisingly, and I just got my One X yesterday after using an S3 for a while and I much prefer the HTC. It just feels like the more premium phone and after messing around with it, removing sense, it's pretty much the same I think. Music player wise, no stock music player is ever good I find. I got to get one off the store. I make sure you pick up the VLC beta off the store

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos