AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:42 PM on 05/24/12 
User Info.
isawstars
Female - 26 Years Old
I am moving from the east coast to california and was wondering what's the BEST way to take my guitar. I've done a google search and read about horror stories due to putting a guitar with the baggage. I definitely don't want to risk it getting broken. I got a gator case for Christmas but I am still nervous about it. And I am assuming a full size acoustic guitar is too large/awkward to take on as a carry on bag... or am I wrong?

As of right now, I am thinking about shipping it after I arrive but I don't know how to go about doing that either...

So any advice would be super helpful. Thanks!
03:02 AM on 05/25/12 
User Info.
Folke
No Avatar Selected
Male - 32 Years Old
When I´ve toured in Europe I´ve booked an extra seat for the guitar (traveling with low price flight companies) and that's the best way to go I think.
I've had it in the baggage once as well and it turned out good but as you say, there are lots of horrible storys out there about guitars that didn't arrive in the best of shapes.
06:35 AM on 05/25/12 
User Info.
isawstars
Female - 26 Years Old
When Ive toured in Europe Ive booked an extra seat for the guitar (traveling with low price flight companies) and that's the best way to go I think.
I've had it in the baggage once as well and it turned out good but as you say, there are lots of horrible storys out there about guitars that didn't arrive in the best of shapes.

That's a good idea!! I am going to call different airlines to see if they allow that. Shipping would cost a lot of money so buying a second ticket would only cost just as much... maybe less! Thanks so much!
06:53 PM on 05/31/12 
User Info.
OuttaPeak
No Avatar Selected
Italy
Male
Buy a second ticket it's such a good idea!
12:36 AM on 06/20/12 
User Info.
Myrna87
No Avatar Selected
USA
Female - 33 Years Old
My ex BF is a misician and he also used to buy the second seat for his favourite guitar. Even if I was coming with him, I was sitting somewhere behind, as the guitar was near him.

11:40 AM on 06/25/12 
User Info.
Folke
No Avatar Selected
Male - 32 Years Old
That sounds like a healthy relation ship.
08:34 PM on 07/20/12 
User Info.
chrisstahl
chris
Louisville, KY
Male - 29 Years Old
I am moving from the east coast to california and was wondering what's the BEST way to take my guitar. I've done a google search and read about horror stories due to putting a guitar with the baggage. I definitely don't want to risk it getting broken. I got a gator case for Christmas but I am still nervous about it. And I am assuming a full size acoustic guitar is too large/awkward to take on as a carry on bag... or am I wrong?

As of right now, I am thinking about shipping it after I arrive but I don't know how to go about doing that either...

I'm assuming you are flying, otherwise you would just take it with you in the car/uhaul.... So with that said, if you're flying, ship it the day before you fly out, or the day of depending on if you have time. Just do regular shipping, and insure it. Much cheaper than buying an extra seat on the plane. It will take several days for regular shipping to go cross country. Guitars are shipped all the time. I would trust that much more than airline package handlers tossing shit around. I've heard it's good to loosen the strings but that could just be a myth. Good luck!
08:57 AM on 07/26/12 
User Info.
reed63
Northvale
Male - 17 Years Old
My ex BF is a misician and he also used to buy the second seat for his favourite guitar. Even if I was coming with him, I was sitting somewhere behind, as the guitar was near him.

08:59 AM on 07/26/12 
User Info.
reed63
Northvale
Male - 17 Years Old

I'd book an extra seat or get a Touring case... Probably get a tour case it lasts life times...
03:39 PM on 08/16/12 
User Info.
BurningSpirit
No Avatar Selected
Athens, GA
Male
Definitely loosen the strings as it relieves the tension on the neck. You can speak with your airline and find out (especially since this is summer) if they would allow it to be carried in the coat closet. You can explain to them that you're a musician and this is your livelyhood, etc etc and see if they'll carry it up there. At the end of the flight you can just grab it safe and sound.
01:50 PM on 09/07/12 
User Info.
punknecks
No Avatar Selected
nashville tn
Male
right next to you..lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music