You don't miss history?! :(
02:56 PM on 07/27/12 
User Info.
theagentcoma
Post Grad Vagabond
Seattle
Male - 26 Years Old
You don't miss history?! :(

I will forever and always have an interest in it, but I think my problem is that that's merely all it is. An interest. I switched from English to History, loved it, learned a lot - but I was probably the worst history major in the department. My teachers and classes were awesome and I got like a 3.8 in my courses but I really hated historical research, archiving, and half the stuff I read. When it came down to it, I was learning just enough to repress it when I didn't need it anymore, which was right after tests.

I took History of American Thought, Far east in Modern Times, Military History, Survey of the American West, Historical Methods, Colonial America, and Modern Britain. You don't want to know how much I remember from any of those. Sad, huh?

Then again it took me 6 years to do my undergrad so by the time I was done I was DONE. I so did not care anymore.
03:02 PM on 07/27/12 
User Info.
lockedheart
some nights
Brussels, BE
Female
I will forever and always have an interest in it, but I think my problem is that that's merely all it is. An interest. I switched from English to History, loved it, learned a lot - but I was probably the worst history major in the department. My teachers and classes were awesome and I got like a 3.8 in my courses but I really hated historical research, archiving, and half the stuff I read. When it came down to it, I was learning just enough to repress it when I didn't need it anymore, which was right after tests.

I took History of American Thought, Far east in Modern Times, Military History, Survey of the American West, Historical Methods, Colonial America, and Modern Britain. You don't want to know how much I remember from any of those. Sad, huh?

Then again it took me 6 years to do my undergrad so by the time I was done I was DONE. I so did not care anymore.

Aww, okay, understandable.
I'm a history minor only because Idk what i'd do with a history major.
05:53 PM on 07/27/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
I think a shorter list would be people doing something directly tied to their degree.

I double majored in History and Political Science, but now I am an English teacher. It happened in the most roundabout way, too. I was working as a waiter at a retirement home, was hired to teach computers to residents, and used that experience to become an English teacher. The world is a bizarre place.
04:49 AM on 07/31/12 
User Info.
eduuniversities
Education Universities
No Avatar Selected
Universities
Male - 23 Years Old
I have a bachelors in Business and I work for the Department of Homeland Security.
I am persuing my masters from Education Universities
12:21 AM on 08/01/12 
User Info.
HNWL
No Avatar Selected
The South
Male - 24 Years Old
Graduating this fall with English and History, and oddly enough I could be on the way to getting into management at Wal-Mart. Not my dream job (whose is it?) but it's a paycheck.

Working there right now makes me reconsider applying to grad school.
12:26 AM on 08/01/12 
User Info.
HNWL
No Avatar Selected
The South
Male - 24 Years Old

I'm kind of in the same boat. I like history but feel like I didn't retain much from the courses I took. I don't think I could do anything in terms of actually using the degree other than teach; and I'm not too sure about that.
12:27 PM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
ohhiiyvonne
Sic Transit Gloria.
Los Angeles, CA
Female - 27 Years Old
I have a degree in history, one is religious studies, and one in music business and I just got a job at an advertising agency. Honestly, none of my jobs have had anything to do with my degrees, but places just like seeing that you HAVE a degree sometimes.
02:36 PM on 08/20/12 
User Info.
BridgeLL
Oregon
Female - 34 Years Old
I'm wondering about this too, has anyone become a pharmacist later in life? I read this article on life as a pharmacist and it really looked like something I liked, do you think it would be possible to begin from a pretty unrelated career?
02:47 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
Jumpoff
Jews for Cheeses
Philadelphia
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm wondering about this too, has anyone become a pharmacist later in life? I read this article on life as a pharmacist and it really looked like something I liked, do you think it would be possible to begin from a pretty unrelated career?

Well, to my knowledge, getting into pharmacy school is very dependent on your pcat scores. You can probably get in as a non-science major, but it just takes so much extra work because you'll need all that background info to do well on the pcats. I know people have done medical school with liberal arts majors before though, so its definitely not impossible.
12:48 AM on 08/31/12 
User Info.
dearmsterri
Philadelphia
Male - 24 Years Old
Aww, okay, understandable.
I'm a history minor only because Idk what i'd do with a history major.

What's your major?
05:05 AM on 08/31/12 
User Info.
lockedheart
some nights
Brussels, BE
Female

Political science, but I recently (in the past 4 days or so) decided to do a double major with history. Haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos