AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:46 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Same. My sister was still on campus when everything started happening. She and other friends of mine still there were telling me how depressing it was. I don't know anyone taking summer classes who are dealing with the news that just broke, I don't think, but I can only imagine what it's like.

They had the crying, shock, and horror pictures on CSN SportsRise.

I told my cousins I'd delete them as people in my life if they even mentioned Paterno to me.
10:48 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
larokr
it's back. lets go pens.
201/973
Female
They had the crying, shock, and horror pictures on CSN SportsRise.

I told my cousins I'd delete them as people in my life if they even mentioned Paterno to me.

Pictures aren't the same as actually experiencing it in person.
10:53 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
Killadelphia
Pictures aren't the same as actually experiencing it in person.

Well, it was video.

But in reality, wtf is there to experience? Is it going to change anything about their course structure? No. I'm so sick of hearing about life lessons and other bull-shit people talk about with Paterno or the football team or whatever.

For the last 15 years, we've learned, hey come play for us if you're a criminal. And hey, we'll cover-up your crimes too.

It effects maybe 90 kids who play for the team, who can leave for free, and were likely only there to really play football.
11:23 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Platinum Member
was this posted?

http://deadspin.com/5928585/penn-sta...ng-into-towers
12:15 PM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
Well, it was video.

But in reality, wtf is there to experience? Is it going to change anything about their course structure? No. I'm so sick of hearing about life lessons and other bull-shit people talk about with Paterno or the football team or whatever.

For the last 15 years, we've learned, hey come play for us if you're a criminal. And hey, we'll cover-up your crimes too.

It effects maybe 90 kids who play for the team, who can leave for free, and were likely only there to really play football.
It's hard for me to say, since I graduated in May of 2011 and I've only gone back twice since then, but one of those times was the Nebraska weekend last year. Aka, first game after the scandal, first game of the "post-Paterno" era, first game after we first learned of the horrors that occured. So, I'll put it in that context, and hopefully articulate it well enough.

I suppose it's important to note I am not a lifetime Penn State fan, I didn't really start following them 2005, despite living in PA since 96, and didn't really become a fan until I decided to go to school there. I say this because it's important to note because even for those who didn't come in because it was "Penn State" and it was "Joe Paterno" it very quickly and very fully attaches itself to the lifeblood of your student experience.

There is a whole lot to experience though. Football is a huge part of Penn State's visible profile, a huge part of student life, and a great unifier for Alumni across the country. For many kids a main factor going into choosing to go to a school like Penn State, rather than, say Pitt or Temple, largely because of the existence of big time college program bringing a party a short walk from their dorms. Every Saturday across the country draw large crowds at bars bringing together a community to watch football. You talk with your friends and you identify your years, your experiences at the school in the fall by the game which most recently took place and whether it was a win or loss.

Quick sidenote: nothing said after this is meant to purport the idea Penn Staters are 'victimized.' They aren't. An illusion they did nothing to earn or contribute to was broken, and they are processing it. But to call anything they have gone through as a 'struggle' or 'suffering' is an insult anyone who actually has, especially those who have due to the negligence of the previous Penn State administration who the community not only allowed to stay in power, nearly unilaterally and consistently compelled it to stay in power up until last November. I hope that is clear.

With all that said, the saga has called all the effects football brings to daily living at State College into question. It had a community asking how this could happen. Why this could happen. It had us questioning why we as penn staters had trusted them, and why the administrators themselves had not trusted us to be able to handle the atrociaties they had learned ten years prior. It had us asking what we could do it fix it. It had a community selfishly asking why you are blaming "Penn State" rather than then men involved. Why was Penn States name dragged in the mud, and as association, why was my name dragged in the mud. Why did we care about football. Did it have meaning. Did it have purpose. How could Joe Paterno have failed was a large question to. The experience is one of a community who felt their identity lost, misplaced in the wrong place; and a larger question of how they could still function as one unified community.

Hopefully that makes sense, atleast to an extent.
02:24 PM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
larokr
it's back. lets go pens.
201/973
Female
It's hard for me to say, since I graduated in May of 2011 and I've only gone back twice since then, but one of those times was the Nebraska weekend last year. Aka, first game after the scandal, first game of the "post-Paterno" era, first game after we first learned of the horrors that occured. So, I'll put it in that context, and hopefully articulate it well enough.

I suppose it's important to note I am not a lifetime Penn State fan, I didn't really start following them 2005, despite living in PA since 96, and didn't really become a fan until I decided to go to school there. I say this because it's important to note because even for those who didn't come in because it was "Penn State" and it was "Joe Paterno" it very quickly and very fully attaches itself to the lifeblood of your student experience.

There is a whole lot to experience though. Football is a huge part of Penn State's visible profile, a huge part of student life, and a great unifier for Alumni across the country. For many kids a main factor going into choosing to go to a school like Penn State, rather than, say Pitt or Temple, largely because of the existence of big time college program bringing a party a short walk from their dorms. Every Saturday across the country draw large crowds at bars bringing together a community to watch football. You talk with your friends and you identify your years, your experiences at the school in the fall by the game which most recently took place and whether it was a win or loss.

Quick sidenote: nothing said after this is meant to purport the idea Penn Staters are 'victimized.' They aren't. An illusion they did nothing to earn or contribute to was broken, and they are processing it. But to call anything they have gone through as a 'struggle' or 'suffering' is an insult anyone who actually has, especially those who have due to the negligence of the previous Penn State administration who the community not only allowed to stay in power, nearly unilaterally and consistently compelled it to stay in power up until last November. I hope that is clear.

With all that said, the saga has called all the effects football brings to daily living at State College into question. It had a community asking how this could happen. Why this could happen. It had us questioning why we as penn staters had trusted them, and why the administrators themselves had not trusted us to be able to handle the atrociaties they had learned ten years prior. It had us asking what we could do it fix it. It had a community selfishly asking why you are blaming "Penn State" rather than then men involved. Why was Penn States name dragged in the mud, and as association, why was my name dragged in the mud. Why did we care about football. Did it have meaning. Did it have purpose. How could Joe Paterno have failed was a large question to. The experience is one of a community who felt their identity lost, misplaced in the wrong place; and a larger question of how they could still function as one unified community.

Hopefully that makes sense, atleast to an extent.

Well said. Definitely hard to put into words. I have videos and pictures from some "riots" I went to when I was there and it definitely doesn't feel the same as when I was actually witnessing it.

Also didn't start following PSU football until I went there. As soon as I started going there, all I heard about was football. Only had season tickets my freshman year, though.

And yes May 2011!
05:57 PM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Holy shit.

@BreakingNews: Penn State president: University faced a potential four-year ban on playing football before the NCAA issued its punishment - @AP
06:03 PM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
The People's Champion
South Philly
Male - 22 Years Old
My facebook feed is thankful that didn't happen.
06:21 PM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
Holy shit.

@BreakingNews: Penn State president: University faced a potential four-year ban on playing football before the NCAA issued its punishment - @AP
Erickson has been saying this since Monday. Essentially he made it sound like (and I probably believe him), the NCAA brought him that, he would not sign it, and they deliberated to get something he would sign off on. The NCAA wanted quick action, Erickson wanted football.
07:58 PM on 08/08/12 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Platinum Member
http://deadspin.com/5933093/?utm_cam...ium=socialflow

yikes
09:22 PM on 08/08/12 
User Info.
UnderMyDreams
No Avatar Selected
University Park, PA
Male - 24 Years Old

God dammit that's embarrassing... That and it makes absolutely no sense at all. Just... None. I'm speechless.
07:23 AM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
@BreakingNews
Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky sentenced to 30-60 years in prison - @BloombergNews, @Reuters
07:29 AM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
The People's Champion
South Philly
Male - 22 Years Old
He's almost 70, so it's not like it matters, but they should have given him a life sentence.
08:02 AM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
He's almost 70, so it's not like it matters, but they should have given him a life sentence.

Agreed.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version