Password
This Thread is Closed.

11:53 AM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Alex P. Keaton
Columbus, Ohio
Male
I just told my girlfriend that the US dollar should be backed by the sperm of Jewish men instead of gold...is that racist?

No, just a grotesque way of thinking.
11:57 AM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
No, just an innovative way of thinking.

Fixed
12:00 PM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
magicrat85
ThankYou, but, I know I am right
sunshine state
Male - 28 Years Old
jews are awesome. Weinstein makes some good movies
12:00 PM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
magicrat85
ThankYou, but, I know I am right
sunshine state
Male - 28 Years Old
Now we know what type of dicks that all these hollywood actresses had to suck to get ahead :)
01:50 PM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Let's burn the hills of Beverly!
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
The acts in themselves are not entirely different in my opinion as both are motivated at their source by racism. However, certainly the effects are much more far reaching in the former form of racism than the latter. With that said, I believe that it's not very productive to compare racist legislation/laws to individual racism. It's apple's and oranges and was not what Nuns on the Bus was talking about.

Racist tweets, slurs, jokes, etc... are of the same magnitude in my book. It's worth distinguishing institutional racism from individual racism, but there are no subsets of individual racism that should be singled out.

It's hard for me to comprehend how one can disagree with the bolded. The idea that one group is somehow excused from or, worse, justified, for holding racist views based off of their position in society is disgusting to me. Especially when someone is willing to say that violent behavior toward another group in society is okay because of the indirect oppression of the former group by the latter.
02:09 PM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
undonesweater93
Abuse of Power Comes as No Surprise
It's hard for me to comprehend how one can disagree with the bolded. The idea that one group is somehow excused from or, worse, justified, for holding racist views based off of their position in society is disgusting to me. Especially when someone is willing to say that violent behavior toward another group in society is okay because of the indirect oppression of the former group by the latter.

Well it's really common for white people to derail and make false equivalencies, but those who do this aren't really convinced by this idea that racism is prejudice + power
02:36 PM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Let's burn the hills of Beverly!
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Well it's really common for white people to derail and make false equivalencies, but those who do this aren't really convinced by this idea that racism is prejudice + power

Can you expand on what you're saying here? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
10:08 PM on 08/17/12 
User Info.
undonesweater93
Abuse of Power Comes as No Surprise
encouraging the idea that black-on-white discrimination is race could lead to a lot of white people derailing real claims of racial discrimination by saying "well a bunch of people called me whitey once. it happens to everyone, get over it." or something to that degree.
01:37 AM on 08/18/12 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 22 Years Old
I was only asking you a question and giving a hypothetical example of what I was talking about because you sounded like you assumed there was never a case like that (which I now know isn't your assumption), that's all. Like I said, I don't have the numbers (which would be nigh impossible to compile anyway since we're talking about people's thoughts). If black people commit more crimes than white people I don't think it's because of police injustice (though that may be and likely is a factor in some areas), I think it has more to do with how society is skewed on the whole.

I would agree it is a cultural issue, not an institutional one. The problem is that culture is not something easily quantifiable, or malleable.

Stumbled across this post and it sort of touches on the cultural aspect that I'm talking about/trying to understand. If any black members have reactions I'm curious to know.

link

Quote:
When you are young, black and male, you have several unfortunate inheritances converging at once. There is the myopia of youth, the inability to understand how much you have to lose. It's very hard to imagine that you may be risking, say, your chance to go to Provenše because you don't even know what it's like to want to go to Provenše. And you live around people who, generally, don't know either--even if they're adults. On top of that you come from a people who for most of American history have not been able to secure the safety of their own bodies. This is not so much said, as it lingers in the air around you. The result is that even if you are not out in The Street, it's very hard for none of The Street to live in you.

The essay it references is Definitely worth a read if you have the time.
05:18 AM on 08/18/12 
User Info.
notauser
Subhuman Nature
Canada
Male - 29 Years Old
Because I'm considered Metis (a status of Native), during my divorce my ex-wifes lawyer wanted to test me for Fetal Alcohol Disease to try and say that I could potentially become an Alcoholic and danger to my child based on the high instance of it within Native culture. I'm Vegan and don't even drink... this was the most racist thing I ever experienced in my life.
09:35 AM on 08/21/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Has anyone read this thing?

http://www.un.org/esa/dsd/agenda21/
12:16 PM on 08/21/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
33 views and not a single comment?
01:39 PM on 08/21/12 
User Info.
Takk...Ros
No, I am not sorry
Female - 21 Years Old
In fairness "has anyone read this thing?" is not a great conversation starter especially if nobody has. Are you posting this because you fear or believe in the new world order? Or that this is in some way connected to the Georgia guide stones?
01:47 PM on 08/21/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
In fairness "has anyone read this thing?" is not a great conversation starter especially if nobody has. Are you posting this because you fear or believe in the new world order? Or that this is in some way connected to the Georgia guide stones?

You're right. I didn't spark a lot of conversation with only saying "Has anyone read this?" but I didn't express my views on the subject yet, because I wanted to get a fair and balanced discussion going, rather than have people dissect my viewpoints right away.

I guess I should rephrase the question and say...

"What are your thoughts on this?" or "Do you think this document is necessary?" etc.

I'm just looking for thoughts on Agenda 21.
02:04 PM on 08/21/12 
User Info.
Takk...Ros
No, I am not sorry
Female - 21 Years Old
You're right. I didn't spark a lot of conversation with only saying "Has anyone read this?" but I didn't express my views on the subject yet, because I wanted to get a fair and balanced discussion going, rather than have people dissect my viewpoints right away.

I guess I should rephrase the question and say...

"What are your thoughts on this?" or "Do you think this document is necessary?" etc.

I'm just looking for thoughts on Agenda 21.
Ok. Well, I haven't read it in it's entirety. I just now read the Rio Declaration and the Sustainable Management of Forests. It all sounds pretty good to me, but I don't think anyone is really doing anything about it. The reason I asked about NWO and the like is because I used to date a guy who freaked out about all this saying they were going to use agenda 21 as a way to control us and would eventually thin down the population and put us into camps. Dude was wrong in my opinion because none of this is a) legally binding or b) happening. Do you see any countries really working towards environmental sustainability? Eliminating the gap between the rich and the poor? Getting indigenous people and women involved in decision making processes? Helping underdeveloped countries figure out how to responsibly manage their forests? Also there is a decent bit of emphasis on nation's individual sovereignty in the literature I just read so I'm thinking this is all much ado about nothing.

Now, what are you thoughts on this?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version