Username
Password

02:00 PM on 08/27/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Yep I took one for my GE here in the CSU system. I'm not sure if economics in particular was required or if I just chose economics as one of the choices to fulfill that area of my GE though.
02:11 PM on 08/27/12 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
Question for everyone. Was anyone required to take an economics course in college in order to fulfill a gen ed requirement?
Yup.
02:27 PM on 08/27/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
No more gold lights
Male - 28 Years Old
Yep I took one for my GE here in the CSU system. I'm not sure if economics in particular was required or if I just chose economics as one of the choices to fulfill that area of my GE though.

That distinction in important. I wasn't required to take one at the UC I attended and that strikes me as very odd.
02:31 PM on 08/27/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
That distinction in important. I wasn't required to take one at the UC I attended and that strikes me as very odd.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't required. The emphasis these days in California's schools seems to be to get kids to graduate ASAP while contributing the minimum amount possible to actually, you know, making sure they get a good education.
02:37 PM on 08/27/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't required. The emphasis these days in California's schools seems to be to get kids to graduate ASAP while contributing the minimum amount possible to actually, you know, making sure they get a good education.

I'm actually for paring college down so that you only have to take classes specifically for your major. Why add extra cost and burden to a student who's studying something not related to economics to take an economics course?

I did have to take an econ course though, and I'm happy I did.
02:39 PM on 08/27/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
No more gold lights
Male - 28 Years Old
I'm actually for paring college down so that you only have to take classes specifically for your major. Why add extra cost and burden to a student who's studying something not related to economics to take an economics course?

I completely agree with you.
02:45 PM on 08/27/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old

I feel the same way you do about it honestly. All of my worst grades that I've gotten in college were in GE classes that had no relation to anything I was doing, which sucks.
01:57 PM on 09/01/12 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
Thinking about majoring in Econ. Never taken a course in the subject, I'm just starting micro next week. Anyone here done it/have some advice or insight that could would be helpful?
01:57 PM on 09/01/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Thinking about majoring in Econ. Never taken a course in the subject, I'm just starting micro next week. Anyone here done it/have some advice or insight that could would be helpful?

Econ minor here. I'd say you're making the right choice taking micro first. I think you'll know pretty quickly if it's your thing.
02:03 PM on 09/01/12 
User Info.
apoemtothedead
ppppppppttttttttt.
TX
Male - 26 Years Old
As an econ major my advice is to major in business instead.
02:06 PM on 09/01/12 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
As an econ major my advice is to major in business instead.

Care to elaborate?
02:08 PM on 09/01/12 
User Info.
apoemtothedead
ppppppppttttttttt.
TX
Male - 26 Years Old
Not really, no.
12:44 AM on 09/04/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Michael Woodford may have written the year’s most important academic paper. Here’s why.

Apparently he is recommending the Fed targeting nominal GDP rates rather than just inflation rates, as NGDP includes both GDP growth and inflation. It all makes sense to me.
02:42 AM on 09/07/12 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
Heard that argument on the money illusion, seems like people are listening now. That guy (sumner) has some interesting theories on monetary policy, like low fed fund rates choking yield margins across the entire bond market. He suggests perhaps they should have been raised in lieu of the lowering trend of the past 10+ years.
02:46 AM on 09/07/12 
User Info.
Cereal_Killer
We suck, I know. SHUT UP!
Nu Yawk Shitty
Male - 25 Years Old

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles