AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Title Fight - Floral Green Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.73
Musicianship 7.8
Lyrics 7.58
Production 7.66
Creativity 7.69
Lasting Value 7.71
Reviewer Tilt 7.39
Average: 77%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Title Fight - Floral Green

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (09/17/12)
Title FightFloral Green
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Record Label: Side One Dummy

Just when you think you have Title Fight all figured out, the band goes and releases something like Floral Green – an album that knocks you on your ass and leaves you wondering why you didn’t see this coming. After abandoning the in-your-face style of pop-punk found on earlier releases for a slowed down alt-punk/emo vibe on its 2011 Side One Dummy debut Shed, Title Fight is aiming to redefine its sound again with Floral Green. The band’s second album brings back some of the energy that may have been missing on Shed while still working in that shoegaze sound to flesh things out.

And just like Shed, Floral Green is another successful attempt at reviving that mid-90s emo sound, as opening track “Numb, But I Still Feel” builds into an eruption of raspy vocals and crashing chords. “Leaf” continues the early attitude of the album with Jamie Rhoden and Shane Moran’s simmering guitar riffs along with Ben Russin’s bombastic drumming leading the charge. Ned Russin’s gruff vocals have never sounded more confident here and throughout the rest of Floral Green. “Head In The Ceiling Fan” serves as Floral Green’s pseudo-interlude, giving listeners a chance to catch their breath after the album’s quick start. The song’s dreamy aura and slow chord changes create something that’s equally soothing as it is heavy.

Title Fight picks up the pace immediately after with “Make You Cry,” as Ned Russin screams from the top of his lungs over Moran’s melodic riffing. The two minute “Frown” feels like a throwback for longtime Title Fight fans with its aggressive intro and chorus, while closer “In-between” picks up where “Ceiling Fan” left off. The Nirvana influence is obvious within the laid-back, somewhat drowsy tone.

The infectious yet coarse nature of each song gives Floral Green a thick, substantial sound that’ll be difficult to shake from your daily rotation. Ned Russin and Jamie Rhoden’s lyrics are instantly relatable to any 20-something growing up in today’s America. Russin grapples with personal defeat and the notion of slipping away (“Leaf” and “Numb, But I Still Feel” respectively), while the dissonant “Sympathy” is in search of self-worth (“I never wanted sympathy, just wanted to be something… I just want to be interesting.”). The variety throughout the eleven tracks prevents the album from becoming too samey and showcases how much Title Fight has improved in its songwriting from Shed. However, Title Fight is at its best with “Lefty,” which may be the best song in the Kingston, PA, quartet's entire discography. The smooth transitions between slow and fast is enthralling, while the distortion and feedback throughout keeps the song raw. It’s a testament to how good Title Fight is getting at its craft.

Title Fight continues to live up to its billing as one of the most exciting and interesting bands in its genre. The progression from Shed to Floral Green (hell, even the progression made from the first track to the last) is astonishing. Even if you never came to fully appreciate Shed, you’d be a fool to not give this album a spin (or five). At the end of the day, Title Fight isn’t trying to reshape the sound of punk – they just want you to listen to better music. Floral Green accomplishes that and more.

9/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Numb, But I Still Feel It
2. Leaf
3. Like A Ritual
4. Secret Society
5. Head In The Ceiling Fan
6. Make You Cry
7. Sympathy
8. Frown
9. Calloused
10. Lefty
11. In-between
Produced by: Will Yip

Title Fight is:
Jamie Rhoden - guitar/vocals
Ned Russin - bass/vocals
Shane Moran - guitar
Ben Russin - drums

Official AP.net Profile; Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 79.
08:20 PM on 09/17/12
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Great as always, Drew. I still need to give this a spin.
08:30 PM on 09/17/12
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
"Title Fight is at its best with 'Lefty,' which may be the best song in the Kingston, PA, quartets entire discography"

Totally agree. Lefty into In-Between is my favorite thing they have ever done, beating Safe in Your Skin into Where Am I?
08:51 PM on 09/17/12
TheBaroness
User Info.
Would have given this a 9.5 personally. Awesome album. The first three tracks in particular are fantastic.
03:36 AM on 09/18/12
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
album rules. production is top notch! gonna be in my top 3 of the year.
05:03 AM on 09/18/12
LGFUAD21
User Info.
1st song I heard from this i just couldnt get into. Review sounds promising though.

"Title Fight isn’t trying to reshape the sound of punk – they just want you to listen to better music."

great line.
05:38 AM on 09/18/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Great review! I totally agree (and admittedly hold the album a little higher, I thought about writing a review for this). The entire first half of the album kills, Make You Cry holds my favorite TF lyrics to date and "Lefty"/"In-Between" close the album incredibly.
06:12 AM on 09/18/12
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
Solid review. From what I've heard, I have a feeling that I'm going to like this album more than both Shed, and even TLTYF.
06:59 AM on 09/18/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would say this album has more of a Failure/Hum vibe than a Nirvana vibe...but I get where you're going with that statement. Also reminds me a little of My Vitriol in some parts. Love this album.
07:40 AM on 09/18/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
I would say this album has more of a Failure/Hum vibe than a Nirvana vibe...but I get where you're going with that statement. Also reminds me a little of My Vitriol in some parts. Love this album.
it does RE: Failure/Hum. I wasn't comparing the entire album to Nirvana, just the last song.
07:45 AM on 09/18/12
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
Nice job, Drew. I feel that there are just a few songs that are good, and then the rest is spectacular. It would probably fall around 85 or a tad higher for me, too.

Nirvana, Hole, Lemuria (to a lesser extent), etc vibes are present throughout the entire album in one way or another. It's really taken on a distinct and interesting style in that it feels like this is the 90s album TF have been wanting; they've nailed the guitar tones from the early alt/grunge scene perfectly. This is better than Shed, imo.
08:02 AM on 09/18/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it does RE: Failure/Hum. I wasn't comparing the entire album to Nirvana, just the last song.
Gotcha, sorry I missed that part...selective reading I guess. Great review though. This album and the new Constants really revive this sound and I love it.
08:12 AM on 09/18/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice to see more bands from this "scene" doing something besides major key power chords arranged in slightly different ways for 10 songs, even if the album doesn't really do it for me.
08:14 AM on 09/18/12
AgainstTheCurrent
Paranoid Humanoid.
User Info.
Blasting this in my dorm right now. Digging it. I like the new production style; the individual parts of each song come out cleaner.
08:20 AM on 09/18/12
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
Nice to see more bands from this "scene" doing something besides major key power chords arranged in slightly different ways for 10 songs, even if the album doesn't really do it for me.
Really? Why's that, and did you prefer their other albums more?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests