AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:44 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
like compare "my last semester" to "came out swinging". the vocals are way different and imo better on CoS
09:53 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Theseventhson
NY
Male - 22 Years Old
the upsides is better than suburbia cmon guys obviously
10:18 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
this is what happens i try to have an actual discussion with you. fuck off.

lol you literally went from one extreme to another how could I not point that out
10:18 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
Rougher, production, whatever I really don't think there's a big enough difference on the record for it to be 100 times better than the other one
10:22 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
Suburbia's better than The Upsides in pretty much every way.
10:27 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
well now that evan said that I'm even more confident in my opinion
10:28 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Jakey94
Woddbury, NJ
Male - 20 Years Old
I can see the voice difference also, upsides sounds more nasally? i guess would be the word
11:04 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
What? No he didn't?

His post a little while ago said : "yeah i dont know how you could call upsides better than suburbia". So basically he's saying that Suburbia is better in that post. Then in his longer post to you, he said what he liked about Suburbia. His position didn't change. So, I'm a bit confused why you thought it did. Or am I just being really dense?

I don't even know why I'm in this thread or speaking up for someone else. Anything to keep me from cracking on with work, I guess...

He went from saying how he had no idea how anyone could think its better to being like oh i can see an argument. I dont care which album people like better. Im more saying that there isnt some huge gap in quality between the two. Its not like kid a vs pablo honey
11:09 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
EndlessPrisoner
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male
I haven't listened to them in forever. I'll listen to the new album when it comes out, but I can't justify seeing this band live again. maybe when the new album comes out, but not until then. I'm just so ridiculously tired of having to worry about my surroundings at all times at their shows. I'm sure I sound like a wimp now, but I used to be all about that stuff a year or two ago, but I guess now I'm just a grumpy old man.

100% seeing them in November, but I don't want to be part of the crowd at all. But I have to get closer for the headliner. heh. maybe I'll get lucky.
01:02 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
DylanPPPP
Hey, are you a dreamer?
Midland, MI
Male - 21 Years Old
I agree with everything everyone said defending Suburbia. Especially how much better Soupy's voice sounds. There are moments on The Upsides that Soupy's voice is cringe-worthily nasally. I don't think I've ever cringed at a single note sang on Suburbia and I can remember more moments on Suburbia where I was blown away by Soupy's voice than The Upsides (outro to Came Out Swinging, bridge to Woke Up Older, verses to My Life As A Pigeon etc.). Oh and the drumming was one of the best drumming performances on a pop punk release in recent years imo. Mike killed it.

I also feel that the albums have two very different feelings to them. Even though The Upsides was released in the Winter and Suburbia was released in the Summer I see Upsides as a Summer album and Suburbia as a Fall album. I don't know if anyone agrees there but that's just what I've always thought.
01:05 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
Omaha, Nebraska
Male - 20 Years Old
I agree with everything everyone said defending Suburbia. Especially how much better Soupy's voice sounds. There are moments on The Upsides that Soupy's voice is cringe-worthily nasally. I don't think I've ever cringed at a single note sang on Suburbia and I can remember more moments on Suburbia where I was blown away by Soupy's voice than The Upsides (outro to Came Out Swinging, bridge to Woke Up Older, verses to My Life As A Pigeon etc.). Oh and the drumming was one of the best drumming performances on a pop punk release in recent years imo. Mike killed it.

I also feel that the albums have two very different feelings to them. Even though The Upsides was released in the Winter and Suburbia was released in the Summer I see Upsides as a Summer album and Suburbia as a Fall album. I don't know if anyone agrees there but that's just what I've always thought.

yup
01:26 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
a lot of the songs in the middle of Upsides blend together for me.
01:36 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
NYC via GNV
Male - 24 Years Old
Staff Member
Vocals on Suburbia are totally different. For one, Steve Evetts used absolutely no editing on those vocals. After listening to that record enough, The Upsides begins to sound almost too clean - and it's not even close to being overproduced by any means. Everything on Suburbia was recorded and re-recorded dozens of times until they got exactly what they wanted out of Dan's vocals. Saying that the vocals don't sound different is insane.
01:38 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
insane, I tell you!
01:39 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
Poppin these pills