Password

Album Review

Green Day - ¡Uno! Album Cover

Green Day - ¡Uno!

Reviewed by
Green Day - ¡Uno!
Release Date: September 25, 2012
Record Label: Reprise Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Setting the bar for yourself is a positive thing. It usually means you’ve done something right – people have an expectation for you to parallel an accomplishment or do something better. No one was expecting Green Day to put out a record like American Idiot when it came out in 2004. Problem is, once a pop-punk band like Green Day puts out a heralded, grandiose rock opera…what comes next for them? Are they in over their heads? It seems weak to go back to 3-minute punk songs, but should they really try to do the same thing again and attempt to make it as successful? 21st Century Breakdown wasn’t a bomb, but it didn’t live up to the bar that Green Day set for itself with Idiot. Faced with another awkward decision to make about the direction to take on a new record, Green Day threw out another curveball: A trio of albums to be released over a span of only six months.

¡Green Day Uno! is (obviously) the first in the set of new records, and it’s certainly no rock opera. Whether you think this is a good thing is completely a matter of personal taste. I loved American Idiot and immensely enjoyed 21st Century Breakdown. I appreciate when bands take on new identities. Let’s face it, there are a lot of pop-punk bands in the world; even if the rock opera thing totally tanked, it’s worth the risk for a band to try to do something different because they could wind up separating themselves from the pack. That’s exactly what Green Day has done for the last eight-ish years, to the tune of becoming one of the most recognizable rock bands in the world.

¡Uno! sees Green Day attempting to return to its roots. Although nothing here really sounds too much like the band’s pre-Idiot work, it still manages to just sound like…Green Day. From opener “Nuclear Family” to explosive single “Let Yourself Go” to basically every other track on the first two-thirds of the album, we see Green Day unleashing its tried-and-true brand of endlessly hooky power-chord-centric pop-punk. Expectedly polished to a spit-shined level in the production booth, Billie Joe Armstrong’s ever-identifiable bratty vocals bring home the catchy melodies, making the tracks instantly accessible. But whereas the album might be easy to listen to, the quality of songwriting is just not up to par on ¡Uno!

“Nuclear Family” is all but ruined with its corny countdown at the end, “Carpe Diem” sounds like a Green Day melody recycled into its umpteenth reincarnation, “Kill the DJ” is flat-out, blindingly, without a doubt the most awful song this band has written in its entire career, and the better songs on the album all run together. “Stay the Night” and “Fell for You” are pretty solid, and “Loss of Control” is OK if you can get past the lyrics, but these songs sound like they were all written in the exact same fashion. The variety is severely lacking here. And I know Green Day was never the most unpredictable band, but there’s something to be said about the quality of the songs themselves, and these songs simply don’t match up to the bar this band has set for itself.

The latter part of the album attempts to change things up a bit, but the end result is bland. Most everything from “Troublemaker” on down to confusing first single and closer “Oh Love” lacks any sort of punch, with the exception being the super-catchy and uptempo “Angel Blue.” The pair of “Sweet 16” and “Rusty James” provides the record’s low point, as it seems as though Green Day has run out of melodies and is now simply rehashing old ones.

This band is plainly at a strange crossroads. That seems weird to say after nearly three decades together, and this is a band that I have loved dearly for a very long time, but listeners have to wonder what the goal is for Green Day with this triple-dose of albums. They can’t write rock operas forever, but it’s equally as awkward to see the band return to the style of music they played 10 years ago, since it’s obvious that this isn’t the same band anymore. Green Day may have already hit its peak, but there’s no reason to not pay attention to the next two records in this cycle. Despite my mostly negative reaction, the fact remains that the pure catchiness and immediate nostalgia present in ¡Uno! make it fully replay-able. There are some parts you’ll have to suffer through, but there are at least a handful of tracks that we can save and enjoy into the future.

What we should really be hoping for is that this record was meant to send a message – a message that this is what we should be expecting now. Hopefully Green Day is resetting the bar and saving the biggest punches for later on. Hopefully the band will bring more experimenting and ambition on ¡Dos! and ¡Tre!, transforming ¡Uno! into the bridge between the rock opera stage of Green Day’s career and the return to plainly catchy punk rock songs. We can hope, I suppose.

6/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 126
05:24 AM on 10/03/12
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
Spot on. Awesome review, I couldn't agree more.
05:25 AM on 10/03/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
agree with all this, great review T-Nazzzty
05:35 AM on 10/03/12
Brandon_WalshDK
Seldom right and wrong again, Steve
User Info.
I agree that Kill the DJ is a travesty but their worst song is without a doubt Misery. Otherwise, great review!
06:03 AM on 10/03/12
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
Good review, although I don't think this record is that bad. I'm a longtime fan and I can safely say I loved everything they've put out, and this record is no exception. It's fun and it's catchy. The lyrics are very poor, and there are really some bad songs but overall, it's still solid enough for me. Not to mention it's their worst album so far, that's true but I still like it.
06:22 AM on 10/03/12
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
One thing is for sure, it's not fucking Justin Bieber.
06:40 AM on 10/03/12
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
troof
06:41 AM on 10/03/12
baggie
I Are An Mong!
User Info.
I dont get the hate for Kill the DJ. It's not clever or particularly great lyrically but its a catchy up beat song. Doesnt sound like a green day song though. It sounds more like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I reckon if they wrote it people would be raving about it.
06:52 AM on 10/03/12
Spartan789013
I have unpopular opinions
User Info.

It would be rather disturbing if it was fucking Justin Bieber. How would Selana feel about that?
06:52 AM on 10/03/12
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, although I don't think this record is that bad. I'm a longtime fan and I can safely say I loved everything they've put out, and this record is no exception. It's fun and it's catchy. The lyrics are very poor, and there are really some bad songs but overall, it's still solid enough for me. Not to mention it's their worst album so far, that's true but I still like it.
This. I agree with pretty much everything in the review but I like the album, I find myself singing along all the time.

These three albums should probably be Green Day's last, though.
07:04 AM on 10/03/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Just need to mention a typo. The song is Rusty James not Sweet James.

Good review otherwise. Rusty James is actually my favorite song from the album
07:07 AM on 10/03/12
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
I agree with this. I don't think it's really that bad. Certainly not fantastic, but pretty good. The lyrics are kind of dull, but the music itself is fun and catchy for the most part.
07:08 AM on 10/03/12
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
I dont get the hate for Kill the DJ. It's not clever or particularly great lyrically but its a catchy up beat song. Doesnt sound like a green day song though. It sounds more like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I reckon if they wrote it people would be raving about it.
I agree somewhat. I want to like the song, but it's just far too repetitive for its own good.
07:23 AM on 10/03/12
Kris_Gontz9
Anklebiters.
User Info.
I personally would have given it a lower score. You know, ATL's Don't Panic is incredibly better than this thing, and mostly everything here is a huge letdown and a recycled hot mess...

Even then, it has a few enjoyable tracks like Nuclear Family, Angel Blue and Rusty James... but mostly that's it.

Exceptional review. The "high bar" allusion is really spot on.
08:07 AM on 10/03/12
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
I like the guitar tones they've used on this album and the songs are catchy but this review is spot on. Overall a bit of a re-hash for me and each song melted into the next.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos