AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interscope Records News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

John Janick Named President and COO of Interscope Geffen A&M

Posted by - 10:13 PM on 10/03/12
Interscope Geffen A&M announced today that John Janick has been named President and Chief Operating Officer. The full press-release can be found in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
10:13 PM on 10/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Interscope Geffen A&M announced today that John Janick has been named President and Chief Operating Officer. Janick joins the company after sixteen years spent running the highly regarded indie label he co-founded, Fueled By Ramen, where artists such as Fall Out Boy, fun., Paramore, and Panic! at the Disco became commercial and critical hits. Since 2009, Janick was simultaneously co-president of Elektra Records, which he relaunched with the success of artists Bruno Mars and Cee Lo Green.

Said Jimmy Iovine, Chairman and CEO of Interscope Geffen A&M, a unit of Universal Music Group, the global music leader: "I'm really excited to have John come on board as President and COO; he's exactly what we needed at this time. Everything he accomplished at Fueled By Ramen reminded me of the early days of Interscope. Combine that with John's experience running a bigger company at Elektra, and it makes him the perfect fit for us."

“I’m looking forward to what lies ahead for Interscope Geffen A&M, and I’m thrilled to be working with Jimmy Iovine.” said Janick, who will report directly to Iovine. “Because he is here, I would not have gone anywhere else. I’ve been entrusted to help build this company for the future. Interscope Geffen A&M has great artists and great employees. It’s fantastic to be joining a company that has been built on such exciting artists and music; that’s something I intend on continuing.”

Janick began his career when he co-founded Fueled By Ramen in his dorm room while an 18-year-old freshman at the University of Florida in Gainesville. Over the next few years, the small indie label grew even as Janick earned a B.A. in Finance and Business Management and then an M.B.A. at the University of South Florida. In 2003, the label broke through with the release of Fall Out Boy’s Take This To Your Grave, FBR’s first gold album. 2005 brought the platinum A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out from Panic! at the Disco. Paramore’s platinum Riot! followed in 2007, as did a move for the label from Florida to New York City. In 2010, Janick personally signed fun. The following year he was tasked with helping to relaunch the Elektra label for Atlantic Records in addition to his continuing role as head of Fueled By Ramen. While he was at Elektra, he reestablished the legendary imprint as Doo-Wops & Hooligans from Bruno Mars went platinum and Cee Lo Green became a star with the quintuple platinum single “F**k You/Forget You”.

Janick has relocated to Los Angeles for his new position, where he will be working at the Interscope Geffen A&M offices in Santa Monica.
10:28 PM on 10/03/12
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
About time this became official. Janick runs a great program, and they could really use him at Interscope.
10:29 PM on 10/03/12
HeyItsAllyssa
Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose
User Info.
Congrats John!
10:34 PM on 10/03/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
was he still running FBR before this happened?
10:43 PM on 10/03/12
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Wait - hasn't Fueled By Ramen been working with Atlantic for the past few years?
11:00 PM on 10/03/12
Jenajena
Jena ≈ Gina.
User Info.
Well deserved
11:14 PM on 10/03/12
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Congrats John! Big things coming!
11:21 PM on 10/03/12
brokencyde
I regret making this my username...
User Info.
Congrats to John! Dude knows how to be successful.
11:26 PM on 10/03/12
The Gunz Show
twitter.com/thegunzshow
User Info.
props!

this is def. a good move.
Makes me feel like I can have faith back into this industry that in the past has repeatedly kept falling and failing.

this rules though . hard working, very DIY oriented, knows the DIY ethic and deserves all of this and more.

- Gunz
12:30 AM on 10/04/12
luqmanhakim
Registered Member
User Info.
This is pretty cool.
02:19 AM on 10/04/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
Very nice, that's a good sign! Congrats.
03:09 AM on 10/04/12
_thisisme*
www.killferelli.com
User Info.
That's great news. Congrats!
03:13 AM on 10/04/12
imposs1ble
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Richard reines is probably pissed.
06:48 AM on 10/04/12
SuNDaYSTaR