Username
Password

10:33 AM on 09/27/12 
User Info.
IamtheOwl
No Avatar Selected
United Kingdom
Male - 29 Years Old
A massive protest is being planned in London by anonymous on 5th of November this year. The anonís describe their event as thus:

http://anoncentral.tumblr.com/post/2...ation-vendetta

Quote:

WHY: Because year on year the government squeezes more and more out of us and the people seem to forget, The 5th of November is a reminder to the government that if they push to far, REVOLUTION is inevitable. We are doing this as a display of our growing numbers, for a remembrance service for V, and to create the biggest 5th of November party in LONDON !

Plane loads of people will fly into London from around the world, ANONYMOUS UK will organise coaches from all UK cities and AirportsÖ

More than 400 years ago a great citizen wished to invent the 5th of November forever in our memory, his hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So if youíve seen nothing, if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you, then I would suggest that you allow the 5th of November to pass unmarked, but if you see what we see , If you feel as we feel and if you would seek as we seek then ANONYMOUS ask you to stand beside them, 1 year from tonight outside the gates of parliament and together we shall give them a 5th of November that shall never ever be forgot Ö

according to a left wing news source, they are going to put serious resources behind spreading the word about this:

http://www.theprisma.co.uk/2012/09/2...%99-has-begun/

Quote:

Before the march takes place, the organisation will develop different actions throughout the month of October in order to mobilise the people for their initiative.

Firstly, on 29th September there will be a celebration of the campaign launch with a general meeting of the public at 2pm, where ideas will be discussed and a plan of action created

Then, from 1st to 5th of October, promotional material will be distributed to spread the word. They predict that more than 100,000 leaflets will be delivered in all of London.

The weekend of 6th and 7th October will be reserved for actively promoting the event with information, megaphones and informative activities all over the United Kingdom. Specifically in London, the main activities will take place in Camden High Street.

Continuing from then, from 8th to 12th October the Internet promotion will take place and on the eve of 13th -14th October, there will be a paper downpour in order to spread the word about the initiative to different cities.

And finally, when the month is over, Operation Vendetta will take place the following 5th November from 7pm to 1.30 am in front of the Houses of Parliament.

there is a video here

and there is the main facebook site here with solidarity events happening in cities in North America and Europe. https://www.facebook.com/events/239966289383165/ 3600 people before their big publicity drive so far will attend.

Do you think this is a good idea? will it change anything? I agree that what's happening in our country isn't good, but I personally prefer to express my views at the ballot, though that said I support totally the right of others to engage in peaceful, non violent, law-abiding protest. Its not something I'd get involved in, but if it does pass off peacefully whilst showing that people aren't happy with the austerity side of things, then I don't think its a bad thing.
11:26 AM on 09/27/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Hitching a protest to a movie seems like a silly idea to me. Makes the cause look amateurish (even if it's not). So I have a feeling this may draw a crowd but be a dud in the sense of changing policy or even pubilc perception.
02:06 PM on 09/27/12 
User Info.
DejaMe
It's a funny thing this life.
Ottawa, Canada
Male - 27 Years Old
Remember, remember, the Fifth of November
02:20 PM on 09/27/12 
User Info.
BuiltToFall
Charlotte, NC
Male - 23 Years Old
Hitching a protest to a movie seems like a silly idea to me. Makes the cause look amateurish (even if it's not). So I have a feeling this may draw a crowd but be a dud in the sense of changing policy or even pubilc perception.

While there are some parallels to the movie. Guy Fawkes tried to bomb Parliament like 400 years ago and is kind of revered in the country. Go to York in England and there are tons of bars claiming to be his birthplace. Remember, Remember the 5th of November..... haha
02:31 PM on 09/27/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
While there are some parallels to the movie. Guy Fawkes tried to bomb Parliament like 400 years ago and is kind of revered in the country. Go to York in England and there are tons of bars claiming to be his birthplace. Remember, Remember the 5th of November..... haha

Ha! I'm an idiot. Foot meet mouth
03:42 PM on 09/27/12 
User Info.
BuiltToFall
Charlotte, NC
Male - 23 Years Old
Ha! I'm an idiot. Foot meet mouth

Haha, it's cool to learn about. I didn't even really know until I took a trip there. The dude was a badass with a wig.
08:28 PM on 09/27/12 
User Info.
Takk...Ros
No, I am not sorry
Female - 21 Years Old
It's weird that he's such a hero though. Wasn't dude just trying to reestablish the catholic monarchy or something? Not exactly a strike for the people
12:43 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
IamtheOwl
No Avatar Selected
United Kingdom
Male - 29 Years Old
Guy Fawkes is Britainís ultimate anti-establishment historical figure. For 400 years, under government encouragement British people have been burning his effigy on a bonfire on the 5th of November which as you can imagine gives him serious street cred as a figure of rebellion. In reality he was only the hired muscle. He was a mercenary (mainly fighting for Englandís enemy, Spain in what is now the Netherlands and Belgium) whose role was to be the guard of the gunpowder stored under the houses of parliament. The brains behind the plot was the young charismatic catholic nobleman Robert Catesby, and most of his fellow conspirators were also young catholic noblemen. Guy was just the poor sap who was the first to get caught and thatís why he became the scapegoat.

Britain in the early 17th century was a maelstrom of religious conflict. The Anglican (moderate protestant) state church tried to impose its will on both Catholics and Puritans (extremist protestants), but Catholics got it worst as they were suspected of working against England and in league with Englands most hateful enemies, France, Spain and the Papacy. In the early reign of James I, Catholics expected since James when he was king of Scotland (as James VI) was known to be a tolerant intellectual, that they would have an easier time than under Elizabeth I. When these hopes didnít materialise, radical catholic noblemen such as Catesby and his mob decided to plot to blow up the King and the entire nobility on the state opening of parliament, and then in the chaos kidnap, James young daughter, and proclaim her queen, and return England to Catholicism. To be put it in historical context, 83 years later in 1688, Jamesí grandson James II would be deposed via a Dutch invasion which was welcomed by the British nobility on account of his Catholic leanings, and his descendents would stage catholic uprisings in Scotland and England in 1715 and 1745 with the former resulting in the last battle on British soil, Culloden. Britain basically had 200 years of religious turmoil in the 16th-18th centuries and we havenít even touched on the puritans and the civil war!

It has to be said, Guy Fawkes only became a figure of rebellion outside the UK after the V for Vendetta film came out, and Anonymous adopted the Guy Fawkes/V masks as their uniform. I wouldnít be surprised though if as anonymous grows in strength, Guy Fawkes overtakes the V character as the main symbol of the movement.
05:49 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham, UK
Male - 22 Years Old
The people who take part in this can fill their boots for all I care, and if it actually registers somewhere than fantastic. I'm pretty jaded on the matter though.
08:54 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
IamtheOwl
No Avatar Selected
United Kingdom
Male - 29 Years Old
139 people just to flyer on the first day of their promotions according to the below link. Going from what I know of flyering for club nights or gigs, if just a quarter of those people show up and turn out regularly, then they will get the word out.

https://www.facebook.com/events/469016163130374/
09:24 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male - 28 Years Old
It's weird that he's such a hero though. Wasn't dude just trying to reestablish the catholic monarchy or something? Not exactly a strike for the people

As far as I know they just wanted to not have to practice their religion in secret and not get fined for going to a different church. What I read was that they were hopeful that King James would change the laws, but he didn't, he passed more restrictive laws. They were just going to replace the king with his daughter, the third in line actually. There is some real spin in the way you put it there.
10:40 AM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone call Guy Fawkes a hero. Maybe it's a regional thing, but he certainly isn't revered country-wide.

'Penny for a Guy' used to a thing that kids did where they would make little Guy Fawkes effigies and people would give them a little bit or money, then they'd burn them. That's not how you treat a hero.
07:10 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Takk...Ros
No, I am not sorry
Female - 21 Years Old
Guy Fawkes is Britainís ultimate anti-establishment historical figure. For 400 years, under government encouragement British people have been burning his effigy on a bonfire on the 5th of November which as you can imagine gives him serious street cred as a figure of rebellion. In reality he was only the hired muscle. He was a mercenary (mainly fighting for Englandís enemy, Spain in what is now the Netherlands and Belgium) whose role was to be the guard of the gunpowder stored under the houses of parliament. The brains behind the plot was the young charismatic catholic nobleman Robert Catesby, and most of his fellow conspirators were also young catholic noblemen. Guy was just the poor sap who was the first to get caught and thatís why he became the scapegoat.

Britain in the early 17th century was a maelstrom of religious conflict. The Anglican (moderate protestant) state church tried to impose its will on both Catholics and Puritans (extremist protestants), but Catholics got it worst as they were suspected of working against England and in league with Englands most hateful enemies, France, Spain and the Papacy. In the early reign of James I, Catholics expected since James when he was king of Scotland (as James VI) was known to be a tolerant intellectual, that they would have an easier time than under Elizabeth I. When these hopes didnít materialise, radical catholic noblemen such as Catesby and his mob decided to plot to blow up the King and the entire nobility on the state opening of parliament, and then in the chaos kidnap, James young daughter, and proclaim her queen, and return England to Catholicism. To be put it in historical context, 83 years later in 1688, Jamesí grandson James II would be deposed via a Dutch invasion which was welcomed by the British nobility on account of his Catholic leanings, and his descendents would stage catholic uprisings in Scotland and England in 1715 and 1745 with the former resulting in the last battle on British soil, Culloden. Britain basically had 200 years of religious turmoil in the 16th-18th centuries and we havenít even touched on the puritans and the civil war!

It has to be said, Guy Fawkes only became a figure of rebellion outside the UK after the V for Vendetta film came out, and Anonymous adopted the Guy Fawkes/V masks as their uniform. I wouldnít be surprised though if as anonymous grows in strength, Guy Fawkes overtakes the V character as the main symbol of the movement.

As far as I know they just wanted to not have to practice their religion in secret and not get fined for going to a different church. What I read was that they were hopeful that King James would change the laws, but he didn't, he passed more restrictive laws. They were just going to replace the king with his daughter, the third in line actually. There is some real spin in the way you put it there.
I wasn't trying to spin it, I was just mistaken on my history. Thank you both for the information :)
09:16 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
Lee Maddox
No Avatar Selected
Male - 37 Years Old
If it succeeds in getting people out in the streets to protest on the 5th then it doesn't really matter who Guy Fawkes was 400 years ago..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets