Username
Password

03:06 PM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Is it a dream keeping you awake?
Dela-where?
Female
I just got my first acceptance letter for a solid school that is out of state. That being said, I have no interest in going to school in-state for a variety of reasons. The only thing that will prevent me from going to school out of state is the cost. What are your guys' experiences on paying for school? I'd like to hear from people who went out of state and made it work. Suggestions and advice are welcome.

Side note: Because I'm from Delaware, there's not a whole list of options as far as colleges go. UD is a great school, but I'm really not interested in going there and will apply as a backup option in case my other schools don't offer me enough money.
06:17 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
practutor
No Avatar Selected
Louisville
Male - 28 Years Old
Pre-register for PracTutor

PracTutor - finally a truly adaptive learning ecosystem will be out in a few months. Pre-register so we can keep you posted on the updates and details http://www.practutor.com
01:48 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Readyfuels
COYS
MD/DC
Female - 25 Years Old
I'm from MD and went to school in VA. Parents paid for the 1st year, went on loans for the rest since I didn't qualify for any financial aid. Received a few grants my senior year but it wasn't any significant. Loan payments are about $900 a month right now.

It is what it is. In all honesty my brother (who went to WVU) and I knew what we were getting into going out of state. Receiving an education from a school that I loved was more important to me than worrying about student debt. Just about everyone I know is swimming in some sort of student debt, guess it's kind of the norm now.

Sorry if this doesn't help. My opinion is go wherever you fall in love with - only if the financial burden is something ridiculous (GWU in DC for example) then you should consider other options.
02:49 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Apply for every scholarship, grant, financial aid package that you can, and then use loans for the rest. And then hope you're able to pay off your student loans in a timely fashion once you graduate.
08:20 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
Only go to school if you plan on getting a worthwhile degree. Medical School, Law School, a good technical school, are all goals people should have. Getting a degree in English Lit, History, Art, etc are stupid and ultimately a waste of money. If you want to be a teacher stay in state and go to any cheap school.

My story is this. I went to a private school (Duke). Had one shit major (history) and one respectable one (economics). First year cost my folks a shit load. After that Scholarships paid for it all. Then I went to Law School. Expensive as shit. In debt to my arse. Got a law job. Gave me a shit load of money. I lived at home while I worked. Worked there for a year and paid down most of my loans. Put my job on hold. Haven't done shit for 4 months now and I feel great.
11:07 AM on 10/13/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
Only go to school if you plan on getting a worthwhile degree. Medical School, Law School, a good technical school, are all goals people should have. Getting a degree in English Lit, History, Art, etc are stupid and ultimately a waste of money. If you want to be a teacher stay in state and go to any cheap school.

My story is this. I went to a private school (Duke). Had one shit major (history) and one respectable one (economics). First year cost my folks a shit load. After that Scholarships paid for it all. Then I went to Law School. Expensive as shit. In debt to my arse. Got a law job. Gave me a shit load of money. I lived at home while I worked. Worked there for a year and paid down most of my loans. Put my job on hold. Haven't done shit for 4 months now and I feel great.

My big "dream" (for lack of a better term) is to get a polisci degree and then go onto law school and then work for the (federal) government. While I realize that saving up for law school would be smarter, because a polisci degree won't get you anywhere if you just have it, I'm also worried I'll get to school and decide to change my major, and fuck myself over on money/a degree/etc.
12:43 PM on 10/13/12 
User Info.
CarpetElf
Stay Hungry, Stay Free, Stay Lucky
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
I just got my first acceptance letter for a solid school that is out of state. That being said, I have no interest in going to school in-state for a variety of reasons. The only thing that will prevent me from going to school out of state is the cost. What are your guys' experiences on paying for school? I'd like to hear from people who went out of state and made it work. Suggestions and advice are welcome.

Side note: Because I'm from Delaware, there's not a whole list of options as far as colleges go. UD is a great school, but I'm really not interested in going there and will apply as a backup option in case my other schools don't offer me enough money.

I would not go out of state without a 75-100% full scholarship.

Community college's are your friend. Exceedingly cheaper and they give you a chance to gain residency if you are out of state. Also, it's much easier to go from a CC to a University than a High School to a University. At least in Florida it is.
12:57 PM on 10/13/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
My big "dream" (for lack of a better term) is to get a polisci degree and then go onto law school and then work for the (federal) government. While I realize that saving up for law school would be smarter, because a polisci degree won't get you anywhere if you just have it, I'm also worried I'll get to school and decide to change my major, and fuck myself over on money/a degree/etc.
i don't really agree with the guy above. But Law School has no prerequisites so DON'T take a useless major. If you want the easy route, take education classes, therefore your fallback plan would be becoming a elementary school, middle school, or high school teacher. Thus when you graduate from college you can take the LSAT go to law school and become a lawyer, or you can teach because you got the necessary degree in college. Again, Law School has no prereqs like Med School does, and like how becoming a teacher does. Thus major in something that has a future for your own safety. Your life will be 100x less stressful if you know that when you're 25-30 and you don't know what to do, you know that you can simply apply to an open teaching position. But that's one option, if you're smart, take pre-med, or if you go to a top 10 school take economics and then go work at a big bank on wall street. Hope this helps.
cheers.
04:28 PM on 10/17/12 
User Info.
Fool
Chicago
Male
Again, Law School has no prereqs like Med School does, and like how becoming a teacher does. Thus major in something that has a future for your own safety. Your life will be 100x less stressful if you know that when you're 25-30 and you don't know what to do, you know that you can simply apply to an open teaching position. But that's one option, if you're smart, take pre-med, or if you go to a top 10 school take economics and then go work at a big bank on wall street. Hope this helps.
cheers.

These are good points. Education is a good thing to be able to fall back on. I'm a polisci major looking into law school as well. I know some would say I could have picked a better major but for me it wouldn't matter if I got a JD. But I'm not all that worried about my BA degree because I've been able to pair it with things that will look good on a resume. Get a decent minor, or do good volunteer work or really anything that you think will make you more marketable to an employer.

As far as money for school. I would never go to a school that made me pay an out of state rate. I went to a jr. college because it split the cost in half. I personally don't understand why more people don't do this, but personal choices.
06:26 PM on 10/17/12 
User Info.
CarpetElf
Stay Hungry, Stay Free, Stay Lucky
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old

As far as money for school. I would never go to a school that made me pay an out of state rate. I went to a jr. college because it split the cost in half. I personally don't understand why more people don't do this, but personal choices.

Even so, I still cannot fathom why someone would choose to go to say FSU for 4 years rather than TCC for 2 then FSU. The only difference is it saves you tens of thousands of dollars.
04:11 PM on 10/18/12 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I got into BU and Northeastern, but I could not fathom the amount of money I would be spending. Decided to go to UMass Boston instead, and I will end up paying less in my entire undergraduate degree then my friends who went to those schools will in one year. But again that is a state school story while OP was talking about out of state.
01:42 PM on 10/19/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
I feel like it may be a little different for me because I have an option of maybe seven college in my whole state, and really, only one of them is a legitmate option for me.

Side information: Whatever I do, I am 90% I want to minor in Spanish. Took through AP in high school and passed my AP exam. Figured it'd be a good thing to have under my belt.
01:43 PM on 10/19/12 
User Info.
movingxpictures
Dela-where?
Female
Even so, I still cannot fathom why someone would choose to go to say FSU for 4 years rather than TCC for 2 then FSU. The only difference is it saves you tens of thousands of dollars.

Community college is great for more "generic" majors like business or whatever, but I want to education of a university, as well as the opportunity to live on campus, etc.
04:34 PM on 10/19/12 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
To me, college isn't worth spending a ridiculous amount of money on. If I had wanted to go out of state, I would have done 2 years of community college and gotten core classes out of the way to lessen the blow. But I go to a university in the city I've always lived in and I commute.

Good luck to you, though. Hopefully you get to go wherever you want.
05:28 PM on 10/19/12 
User Info.
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
Raleigh, NC
Male - 29 Years Old
I was originally from PA and moved to go to school in NC. They have grants that your can apply for that pay the difference between In-State and Out-of-State Tuition for one year. I had my own apartment, switched my car registration and insurance, and registered to vote and by my 2nd years I was considered a NC resident and received In-State tuition

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos