Username
Password

10:18 AM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
It's not that I'm bad at nursing, but I'm thinking about changing majors. I was (and still am) a sick kid for a majority of my life, and because of that, I thought at one point that I had a calling to help people with the same disease. I thought I should be the one to help those who were turned down by other doctors like I was. Why? Because I have the aptitude, I've been always a good student. I know I CAN do it, and something in me makes me feel guilty if I don't.

However, I remember being a kid at career fair and telling my classmates who wanted to be doctors or nurses, "ew, I respect anyone who can do that and it pays great, but it's just not something I would do." My whole life I've been in love with computers, english (reading, writing), music, and talking to people, listening, etc. Those are my hobbies. I've been told by people (my mom, for example) that sometimes when you take a career in something that you love, you get sick of it eventually. Sometimes things are better left as hobbies because you can get sick of them as a full-time career. Is this true? I can see how it could be, but at the same time, shouldn't I do what I love for a job?

I don't know what I want to do. All I know is that last night my dad said he could see me being the guy who implements entire new computer systems/software for companies (he sees this stuff first hand a lot because he's a corporate controller/finance director) and when he brought that up, I excitedly said, "now THAT would be fun".

I just don't know if I'm afraid of nursing because I don't want to hurt people. I don't know if I'm afraid of studying. It's really hard work. I do know that even though I passed putting an NG tube down a dummy's nose with flying colors, the thought of doing that to a human being makes me cringe. I do know that I hate crazy hours, I hate being on my feet, I don't like to be rushed like a chicken with his head cut off. I like desk jobs. I like to sit at a computer, to write, to research something, whatever. I like to do things at my own pace. I also know that I have a panic attack every tuesday morning having to wake up at 5 AM for my clinical. My illness makes me have really bad sleeping issues- I have chronic fatigue, insomnia issues, no sleeping pill puts me to sleep, and any small noise wakes me up. I am exhausted on those days and I just want to cry when I wake up. But, on the other hand, once I get there, I can function, and clinical has never been as bad as I thought it would be.

What should I do? Would it be a mistake to drop out mid-semester, work for the semester, and transfer to a bigger University? My current school is really only great for nursing. It has like 2000 kids and it 80% females. The major selection is kind of limited, people their are idiots, douches, and our campus is awful. I told myself if I ever changed majors I would not stay there. I do love my suite though, my dorm, my roommate is a good friend of mine, and I like everyone in there, which is kind of amazing to me considering 10 guys live in it. I'm thinking of UNH- my best friend up there and I have always wanted to grab an apartment together, but our schools are an hour apart.

I don't know. I just don't want to change majors for the wrong reason. I don't want to look back and regret the things that I have done.

tl;dr

Sick kid wanted to help other sick kids by being a nurse. Not sure if it's for him. Scared of dropping out on his second year of school to start fresh at another University next semester. What do.
11:21 AM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old
Sounds cheesy but go with your gut. It doesn't sound like you're really into the nursing thing. I mean, your intentions are better than all the other people I know who want to be nurses, but your heart doesn't sound like it's in it. Changing majors and transferring can be scary, but I think more people do this than we realize. Students are constantly changing majors and having to take time off. Most kids I know didn't just go straight to a four year and complete it all then and there and without ever changing a major, which I think is how a lot of things portray it to be. It is okay to take some time off or have a change of heart. My adviser went to school to be an accountant, dropped out, and went back at 35 to be a sociology professor. She says if she could go back she would choose geography instead. I know a girl who majored in math but she works at a nonprofit, and a girl who majored in history but works for a union.

My longwinded point is that we don't always end up where we expect, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would rather take a scary risk and do something I enjoy than stay stuck doing something I don't. You shouldn't feel guilty about it.
12:20 PM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Yeah.. I just hate change, ya know? Making new friends as a transfer student seems harder than coming in as a freshman because then everybody is trying to meet knew people. I'm also kinda bummed about going to school longer than originally planned- it's just so expensive. I'm probably going to be over $100k in debt.

But, thank you a lot, your post really helped me a bit. I'm still not totally sure what I want to do, but I do want to do something I enjoy. I think for now I'll still study my ass off this 3 day weekend just in case, but I am seriously considering switching out. I just don't want to drop out early and miss out on some sort of clinical experience that makes me see something in nursing that I didn't see before.

It's probably gonna suck knowing how much money I threw away by going to school for a month and then dropping out the rest of the semester haha
11:48 PM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old
I get that about being scared. I'm going to transfer next year, and I honestly don't think I'll make many friends. Everyone brushes me off and says of course I will, but I haven't made a new friend since the eighth grade lol. I am sooo shy and awkward, and don't do the typical partying thing. I'm really opinionated and have a sarcastic and dry sense of humor, and I can't relate to many people. At most I just tolerate them, and I am polite but at the same time I'm usually wishing they will let me be. I don't mind being a bit of a loner, but not having at least one person to fall back on is terrifying.

Your feelings are totally normal and reflect that of almost everyone I know. Knowing it's your ~future is so scary, but the fact that it is your future should propel you to do what you really love.
09:35 PM on 11/25/12 
User Info.
IntoTheSun
my blood flows harshly
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 21 Years Old
I get that about being scared. I'm going to transfer next year, and I honestly don't think I'll make many friends. Everyone brushes me off and says of course I will, but I haven't made a new friend since the eighth grade lol. I am sooo shy and awkward, and don't do the typical partying thing. I'm really opinionated and have a sarcastic and dry sense of humor, and I can't relate to many people. At most I just tolerate them, and I am polite but at the same time I'm usually wishing they will let me be. I don't mind being a bit of a loner, but not having at least one person to fall back on is terrifying.

Your feelings are totally normal and reflect that of almost everyone I know. Knowing it's your ~future is so scary, but the fact that it is your future should propel you to do what you really love.

you're really cool. Let's be friends.
09:55 PM on 11/25/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old
you're really cool. Let's be friends.

02:13 PM on 11/26/12 
User Info.
CarpetElf
Stay Hungry, Stay Free, Stay Lucky
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
Quote:
I've been told by people (my mom, for example) that sometimes when you take a career in something that you love, you get sick of it eventually. Sometimes things are better left as hobbies because you can get sick of them as a full-time career. Is this true? I can see how it could be, but at the same time, shouldn't I do what I love for a job?

You can get sick of anything. Better take the risk of getting sick of something you love than just go into something you'll know you'll be sick of.

The first part is damn close to my personality as well minus the tolerating people. I enjoy being around people about half the time. Where are you transferring to? Out of state or in Oregon still?
02:44 PM on 11/26/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old
You can get sick of anything. Better take the risk of getting sick of something you love than just go into something you'll know you'll be sick of.

The first part is damn close to my personality as well minus the tolerating people. I enjoy being around people about half the time. Where are you transferring to? Out of state or in Oregon still?

Probably still in Oregon, idk. I'm looking at places in Portland, or around Washington and California. I might apply to some schools on the east coast just to see if they accept me haha. But I really like the west coast.
02:46 PM on 11/26/12 
User Info.
CarpetElf
Stay Hungry, Stay Free, Stay Lucky
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
Probably still in Oregon, idk. I'm looking at places in Portland, or around Washington and California. I might apply to some schools on the east coast just to see if they accept me haha. But I really like the west coast.

The west coast is better than the east coast in basically every way. Portland State is cheap and not that bad of a school. I absolutely love Portland. Plus, the west doesn't have the South. Florida has some great schools if you're looking at the east.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos