Username
Password

04:57 PM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
abbysmith
Que será será
Boston, MA
Female - 19 Years Old
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...

I have experience with playing wind and string instruments but I've always wanted to learn drums. They aren't very similar, I know, so I was wondering if learning drums would still be very difficult despite my musical experience? Any tips for learning? I do have access to drums through my school band.
06:02 PM on 10/06/12 
User Info.
Ruston
No Avatar Selected
Burlington, VT
Male - 23 Years Old
Best advice is to just start playing. Take it slow, learn some easy songs to play along to (green day, or some classic rock song with a simple beat). Your previous music experiences will help in the sense that you have some idea (im assuming) of timing and rhythm. It will still be a challenge because you pretty much have to teach your brain to seperate your hands and feet from each other.
09:06 AM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I'd suggest starting by learning simple beats rather than songs. Just using the high hat, snare and bass drum at first then incorporate one tom at a time. Learn and practice paradiddles until you can't stand it anymore. If you google "beginner drum exercises" I'm sure you'll find a good start.

Take it slow... don't try to play anything fancy at first. Learn the boring stuff first and study it up and down.
01:31 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Definitely practice paradiddles, double paradiddles, flam strokes, and some simple beats as these guys have suggested. Purchasing a beginner's drum book would probably be a sound investment. Slowly work in each limb while you play, and remember to practice slowly at first and build up your speed overtime through practice.

I took drums for 5 years, and for me personally, it is harder than guitar ever was. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and drumming wasn't really for me, so who knows how you'll do! I think having experience in other instruments will definitely help you to an extent, though.
07:57 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
mmmark111
Male - 26 Years Old
I learned by trying to play along to songs. Over, and over, and over.
06:47 PM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 23 Years Old
Verified
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...

I have experience with playing wind and string instruments but I've always wanted to learn drums. They aren't very similar, I know, so I was wondering if learning drums would still be very difficult despite my musical experience? Any tips for learning? I do have access to drums through my school band.

in addition to what others have said, play to a metronome. get used to putting awkward rhythms to a steady tempo -- one who has had a lot of experience with music might think they already know how to do this, but i was one of those people and i can tell you it feels completely different on the drums. its easy to develop the nasty habit of speeding up certain parts, but if you want to be a drummer you ARE the tempo and the number one most important thing to know how to do is to stay. in. time. no matter what. it sounds easy but when you're playing something that requires a lot of multitasking, and your mind is focused that much on what you're playing, an inexperienced drummer can lose sight of how they're playing, and its easy to automatically revert to whatever tempo/volume is most comfortable to you rather than what fits the song.

i played piano for 10 years and guitar for 8 before trying to pick up a drum set. it is seriously a lot harder than it looks. with wind instruments you are coordinating your breath and fingers on the same rhythm, with string instruments its the same except you coordinate one arm's movements with the other fingers. with drums every limb is on a different schedule and that messes with everything you think you know about rhythm. there's also more focus on accents -- alternating between hard and soft hits, at different timing between your left and right hands, makes it even harder to multitask because you'll want to hit hard with hard and soft with soft, and sometimes (well, usually) they don't match up like that in a drumbeat. learning a drumset is a very studious practice, you really do need to be comfortable playing with good technique before getting into the challenging stuff, to avoid developing bad habits that will only be harder to change later.
10:00 AM on 10/18/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Tempo really is one of the biggest bitches about drums ^^. Waay harder to stay in tempo on drums than guitar- although I REALLY need some metronome practice on guitar as well xD.
10:14 AM on 10/18/12 
User Info.
SkateFirm21
on the brightside, she could choke.
PA
Male - 24 Years Old
just play a lot.
05:32 AM on 10/29/12 
User Info.
Deluminate
No Avatar Selected
Male - 22 Years Old
start of with some really simple beats, you gotta get your hand and feet coordination before even thinking about snare rolls, find out how you feel comfortable and remember, play from the wrists, not the arms :D
06:33 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
gsaadg
No Avatar Selected
Pakistan
Male - 17 Years Old
I am extremely impressed with your writing skills no.1 software house in the worldand also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid themFree Legal Advicee or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the
07:54 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
dipdive
No Avatar Selected
Male - 30 Years Old
Many people spend a lot of time wearing jeans and they usually buy casual Designer iPhone 5 Cases. Although casual cases are very nice and good choice for jeans. There are also many other shoes that may be a good fit in your formal dressings.

Chanel iPhone 5 Case is another type of choice for versatile formal dresses. It is white in color and is a style of youth and energy. The world of racing Is the source of inspiration In the model <Racing> - perforations police Gloves Including echo of Conduct. The flexibility of the calf nappa and rubber sole and suir, Associee mounting type California Provides comfort and lightness coach EC. Available in larch, Maine and BLACK.

You can check out more designer cases like the Burberry iPhone 5 Case from their store.
03:46 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
barkjon
the sunspots in your eyes
Seattle, WA
Male
I've played drums for 7 years, so hopefully I can help.

First off, get a drum teacher, or at least someone who can give you occasional lessons.

Focus on snare drum rudiments at first (you can probably find them online). Move onto the actual kit once you are comfortable with the snare and when you can play steady.

Once on the kit, grab a metronome and just play a simple beat. 8th notes on the hi-hat, snare on 2 and 4, and bass on 1 and 3. Once you have that down, try incorporating the hi-hat pedal into it.

I can't stress enough that learning to use your feet while drumming is vital. When I first started, I didn't use my pedals at all. That was a huge mistake and seriously impedimented my playing.

Also, ear protection. Ear plugs, or whatever, are perfect.

Hope this helps! Just stick at it, man.
01:06 PM on 12/04/12 
User Info.
honestkyle
HonestKyle
Canfield, OH
Male
Just wondering, but how helpful would it be to play on Rock Band drums vs. a real kit?
08:43 AM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
Konogorov
No Avatar Selected
Kedainiai
Male
Whatever you do, don't take professional classes, It's a real bummer.
09:55 AM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
As long as you have a basic understanding of rhythm (which, based on your previous experience, you do), it shouldn't be too tough to teach yourself.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos