Username
Password
This Thread is Closed.

12:18 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
NewAgeofHorus
Great Barrier Reef
Male - 22 Years Old
You're the worst. Just the absolute worst.

Yeah. Tough shit for me.

Welp, time to return to exile from this thread.
12:18 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
mattmatumbo
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Salt Lake, UT
Male - 25 Years Old
Is this political?
12:19 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
Yeah. Tough shit for me.

I'd imagine so.
12:20 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
What's up Hot Dog?
Connecticut
Male
12:30 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
By sending out a chain email with the subject line "Make Money Fast".
12:56 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Aliens.
12:57 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
Nevuk
Post-Structural Anarchist
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
I swore I wouldn't post in here anymore but come on, that's ridiculous. God didnt create rape. He created free will, homosapiens took advantage of it and created rape.

Even though, I sort of sensed sarcasm in your post some people will actually take it as it is and add it to a list if things to blame on something they don't believe exist.
Didn't Han Solo shoot you?
01:13 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Wait so you don't believe that internalized racism exists? All I see here is an example of that.

Of course it exists, but over-sensitivity to racism also exists. If you are pummeled by the belief that people are going to judge you by your race then you will actively look for racism whether it is there or not, as a way to validate your own sensitivity.

Maybe I am naive, but the majority of people out there treat each other with dignity and respect, regardless of race. On an individual basis, we move past race both internally and externally...most of the time.

Of course there is racism out there, 360 degrees of it...all races have the capability for racism and all races can be subject to racism. Whether or not you are a victim of it, however, is your choice.

And before you go nuts at that last statement, I am a Sephardi Jew, if my beard were any longer I would look like a villain from Homeland. I have experienced my share of anti-semitism and racism (even though they think I am a different race). I could have chosen to be offended by it or I could have moved on, I moved on.

Think of why I still post on these boards, an optimistic estimation would produce maaaaybe 5 people who can tolerate me...at best. You think I get that offended when someone treats me like trash? No one can offend you without your permission.
01:17 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
What's up Hot Dog?
Connecticut
Male
Quote:
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - About 40 students at Hampden-Sydney College shouted racial slurs, threw bottles and set off fireworks outside the Minority Student Union within hours after President Barack Obama's re-election, the tiny, all-male school informed parents Thursday.

The disturbance early Wednesday also included threats of physical violence, President Chris Howard said in the email to parents.

Members of the Minority Student Union notified campus police of the gathering outside their house. An investigation is under way.

"I am terribly disappointed with the students who participated in this harmful, senseless episode including those men who stood idly by and watched it happen," wrote Howard, the college's first African-American president. "There is no place for bigotry or racism on this campus."

Howard said offenders will be adjudicated by the campus justice system.

The racially tinged incident is the second reported protest sparked by Obama's re-election. A protest at the University of Mississippi in Oxford late Tuesday involved about 400 people who shouted racial slurs. Two people were arrested.

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2012/nov/0...en-ar-2347132/
01:19 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
is that like varying degrees of rape, the legitimate kind vs not?

Rape is an action in which there is no uncertainty as to what happened.

An accusation of racism, in a lot of cases, is based on the supposed victim's perception of an interaction with a supposed perpetrator.

If I was rude to someone of a different race, they may feel it is because of their race that I treated them poorly. In which case...racism. The truth, however, may just be because I am shy, a prick, or I don't like them for a myriad of other reasons.

If I slipped a woman a drug, and slept with her while she was passed out, there is not perception needed...that's rape. If I attack a woman from the bushes...rape, no grey area there.
01:26 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
Windsor, OH
Male
so minorities are to blame for being offended at racism, they should just not let being assaulted, getting denied a job based on their skin color, being outcast, being verbally abused etc. bother them.

gotcha.
01:30 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
chipdip18
I was afraid I'd eat your brains.
why should people assimilate to each other though? why should someone surpress their culture just to make things more "convenient" for another culture?

Great question. I'd love to see a solid answer.

I've been hassled as well. So what have we learned? That it's not about the color of your skin, it's about cops being dicks.

I mean, I don't know what cops are like where all of you are from...but any cop I have come in contact with is merely a guy who played high school football and failed out of community college because he drank too much. We aren't talking about the best and brightest here. We aren't talking about Riggs and Murtaugh. It's not like our cops spend their days single handedly foiling the German terror plots at Nakatomi Plaza or anything. They spend their days writing parking tickets to 16 year olds and pulling over lower middle class citizens on their way to work 16 hours because they have a dead tail light.

So it's okay to generalize about cops now too? The point of it all is that we should generalized against ANYONE. My brother-in-law wants to be a cop and didn't play any sport in high school. Never drank either. His life's ambition isn't to pull over kids for a dead tail light.

Dude. Less judging/generalizing, more listening to the experiences of others. You just straight up denied Love As Arson's experience. That is how racism happens. You decided that his experience wasn't real for no good reason.

I feel like racism these days is more about that sort of denial of what is still going on.
01:37 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
Italy
Male - 23 Years Old
They were descendants of Atlantis.
01:48 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Fucking Illuminati built them, not Egyptians
01:53 PM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
Rape is an action in which there is no uncertainty as to what happened.

An accusation of racism, in a lot of cases, is based on the supposed victim's perception of an interaction with a supposed perpetrator.

If I was rude to someone of a different race, they may feel it is because of their race that I treated them poorly. In which case...racism. The truth, however, may just be because I am shy, a prick, or I don't like them for a myriad of other reasons.

If I slipped a woman a drug, and slept with her while she was passed out, there is not perception needed...that's rape. If I attack a woman from the bushes...rape, no grey area there.
so that's a yes, there are varying degrees of racism? the real kind where you meant it, and the fake kind where the person was just offended

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos