AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

03:54 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
mazerfaka
Sweden
Male - 25 Years Old
Hello! im just wondering about a thing, in Sweden the state take about 35% of our salary. We also pay 25% on every ithem we buy in the stores except for grocerys, thats 7% tax.

So what's the rate in America? Everyone is talking about how low it is over there compared to Sweden...
08:11 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
ChristianLFTW
How YOU doin'?
New Jersey
Male
Hello! im just wondering about a thing, in Sweden the state take about 35% of our salary. We also pay 25% on every ithem we buy in the stores except for grocerys, thats 7% tax.

So what's the rate in America? Everyone is talking about how low it is over there compared to Sweden...
Every state is different. I live in NJ, where the rate is 7%, except for items like groceries or clothing, which aren't taxed.
08:29 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
mazerfaka
Sweden
Male - 25 Years Old
Every state is different. I live in NJ, where the rate is 7%, except for items like groceries or clothing, which aren't taxed.

WOW!! How much tax do you pay of your salary?
08:39 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
ChristianLFTW
How YOU doin'?
New Jersey
Male
WOW!! How much tax do you pay of your salary?
Again, it's a little different for everyone. If I work full time, I get like $50 taken off a $300 gross a week.
08:42 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
mazerfaka
Sweden
Male - 25 Years Old
Again, it's a little different for everyone. If I work full time, I get like $50 taken off a $300 gross a week.

Ah okey! I can't calculate what that is in % :/
08:45 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
The income tax rate here is tiered....our top marginal tax rate is 35%, then 33%, then 28%, etc and so on.

However, because of a lot of loopholes in the tax code, people in the 35% tax bracket usually pay an effective income tax rate of like 26%.

On top of those income taxes, Americans also pay payroll taxes....6.2% of our paychecks go to Social Security (up until around 115K or so, every dollar made after that is not subject to the SS tax) and 1.45% go towards Medicare. Employers also pay 6.2% and 1.45% towards those things.

Unfortunately, people who make their income through other means (like investments) only pay a 15% tax on the money earned, and nothing into SS or Medicare. Though the new healthcare bill does levy a 3.9% Medicare tax on investment income
08:46 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
ChristianLFTW
How YOU doin'?
New Jersey
Male
Ah okey! I can't calculate what that is in % :/
It's about 16%. Every one who gets taxed pays different rates though. It depends on your job, how many tax breaks you get, and a lot of other things. The US is on a progressive tax system, too.
08:49 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
mazerfaka
Sweden
Male - 25 Years Old
Hm! Trying to understand it! Over here you pay 35% regardless of what you work with or what you earn, but when you go over a limit (which very very few people do) you have to pay 50% tax.
09:14 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
yeah ours is much more tiered then that...

10:07 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
Los Angeles
Male
It depends on how much you make and how you make it. I get taxed about 8% and make about 10-11k a year. It progresses that way where the more you make the more you get taxed. However, there are very little taxes levied on returns from investments (capital gains). For example if you invest in Apple and their stock prices go higher, the money you made off that would not be subject to much taxation.

But yes our tax system is screwed and the rich need to be taxed a lot more.
10:22 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
apoemtothedead
ppppppppttttttttt.
TX
Male - 26 Years Old
The income tax rate here is tiered....our top marginal tax rate is 35%, then 33%, then 28%, etc and so on.

However, because of a lot of loopholes in the tax code, people in the 35% tax bracket usually pay an effective income tax rate of like 26%.

On top of those income taxes, Americans also pay payroll taxes....6.2% of our paychecks go to Social Security (up until around 115K or so, every dollar made after that is not subject to the SS tax) and 1.45% go towards Medicare. Employers also pay 6.2% and 1.45% towards those things.

Unfortunately, people who make their income through other means (like investments) only pay a 15% tax on the money earned, and nothing into SS or Medicare. Though the new healthcare bill does levy a 3.9% Medicare tax on investment income
What a terrible use of the word 'loophole'
10:38 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I guess. I mean the intent of the tax law is to take 35% of income made, but certain tax breaks give people legal ways to get around paying that amount. That's pretty much what a loophole is. But I do think the word carries a certain negative connotation to it and the "loopholes" a lot of people use are often things like tax credits for children and mortgage payments and whatever.
10:45 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
Hm! Trying to understand it! Over here you pay 35% regardless of what you work with or what you earn, but when you go over a limit (which very very few people do) you have to pay 50% tax.

I'm jealous. Seriously.
10:56 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm jealous. Seriously.

I don't know...the way he's describing it makes it sound almost like the flat tax some of the Republicans were pushing. Have everyone at one level, and then maybe a 2nd higher level for extremely high incomes.

But I don't know enough to know if their poor have to pay that 35% rate or if there are ways for lower income folks to pay less in taxes and etc
10:57 AM on 11/10/12 
User Info.
tkamB
Nobody has it better than us
Bay Area, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
Their taxation system is actually more regressive than ours, they just use government spending in a far more progressive manner.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos