AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Midway in Wake - 11.15.12

Interviewed by
Midway in Wake - 11.15.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Midway in Wake

http://midwayinwake.com

1. How did you get your band name?

The name Midway in Wake is taken from the Midway atoll and Wake Island of the North Pacific Ocean, but evokes a variety of images, both personal and socio-political.

2. How did this band get started?

I started recording songs back in 2006 for fun. As time passed, the songs improved and I decided last year to use some of the better songs for an album.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Bits and pieces of different bands. Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, Four tet, My Bloody Valentine, Broken Social Scene, etc. The list could go on forever.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

HmmmÖIím not really sure about that one. Iíd like to be in the presence of down-to-earth people that take the music more seriously than any fame that it brings.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Haha. Definitely not the dried hummus and Ramen noodles I used to eat!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I would say above anything that I do musically, it always comes from an honest place. Thatís the only kind of music I listen to.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Probably Steve Nash. He doesnít show off or whine when going about his business.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I probably wouldnít show up to the Grammies. Either that or talk about how arbitrary and ridiculous awards shows are. I mean, how can anyone truly judge who makes the ďbestĒ music?

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I love how accessible music has become due to technological advances. The power has shifted from the labels to the artists, which is great. Obviously, musicians have to scrounge a bit more to get paid due to music piracy. Also, mp3s have somewhat made music so disposable. Iíd like to see more records being made.

10. Memorable tour experience?

I toured western Europe with my old hardcore band, Short Hate Temper, in 2000. That was by far the pinnacle for us. We played an amazing show in Bordeaux, France. Iím sure very few people knew who we were, but they went crazy nonetheless.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net is a great site for anyone wanting to discover new music. I love the DIY feel of the site and am glad itís not filled with ads from corporate sponsors. I appreciate that there are genuine music lovers out there.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Probably Iíve got dreams to remember (Otis Redding).

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I live in South Korea at the moment, but I love traveling through SE Asia when I get a chance. Portland, Oregon would have to be my favorite place on earth.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Old rock/metal of the 80s. Van Halen, Motley Crue and cheesier stuff like Night Ranger and Loverboy. Just watched a couple of videos the other day. Hilarious!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Probably the power to go back in time. Iíd like to fix some mistakes and change historical events.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

A light meal, a beer or two. Nothing fancy.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Iím not a very good musician (if thatís not obvious already!), but I work my ass off to make sure itís worth listening to. Iím a painter, decent cook and make my own beer. South Korean beer is terrible!!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Definitely. I havenít been able to play live shows with Midway in Wake yet. I certainly depend on radio to get my music out there.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Iím a university teacher here in South Korea. I watch tons of sports when lesson planning. Like I mentioned before, painting, brewing beer, listening to tons of music, going to art shows and jazz bars.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Some would say Iím a pretty good teacher. I believe in not doing anything half-assed, whether itís a profession or a hobby.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
05:51 AM on 11/16/12
InfiniteArms
Oh, the places you'll go!
User Info.
So is this guy South Korean? or is he an American living in South Korea? - I'm just asking because either way his music is pretty good but if he's South Korean his accent doesn't come across one bit through his music.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos