Username
Password

05:42 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Reston, VA
Female - 25 Years Old
Today, I celebrate my 90 days with a physical therapy company. The upside to that is now I get paid for holidays (just in time for the big ones!) .... The downside? This place is terrible. My therapists are wonderful and so is the office staff. But the people higher up the ladder are conniving snakes, among other things. While I could go on, I'll cut to the chase:

What is the "polite" amount of time to stay with a company before moving on?

I have a marketing degree ad this has always been meant to be temporary. But now 3 of my therapists are leaving within a 2-month time frame, and we all share the same view of the higher-ups. I've begun applying for marketing/graphics jobs, but is it too soon? Would future employers view 3-4 months with a company distasteful?

Aside from that, blow off some steam and tell me why you hate your job.
08:07 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee
Male - 24 Years Old
I just started at a trade college a week ago. My job is to call high school seniors that requested information and try to schedule a meeting for a recruiter to go out and try to convince them to go to the school. I love the people at my job, I love the hours, and I love how easy it is. The downside? I call for four recruiters, whose territories are Arkansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Georgia. The kids I call might be some of the slowest, stupidest, redneck motherfuckers on the planet. I swear to god, if you can imagine the shittiest country song in the world, I hear a ringback tone of it 30 times a day. Not to mention, trying to converse with these kids is like talking to a brick wall... Though at least you can punch the fuck out of a brick wall if you get frustrated enough.
08:07 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 23 Years Old
I don't think there's a "polite" amount of time to wait. I'd just take the paid holidays and leave right afterwards, haha.
08:17 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I don't think there's a "polite" amount of time to wait. I'd just take the paid holidays and leave right afterwards, haha.

I kind of agree with this... I would be sure to give them AT LEAST 2 weeks notice, maybe up to a month... That's being MORE than polite

You shouldn't have to stay at a job just to be polite. If the bosses are shit, then they don't deserve to have good employees, and they won't get them.
08:25 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 23 Years Old
Yeah, as long as you give them the 2 weeks notice, that should be fine. I don't see why anyone would be pissed. Hell, most of them probably hate dislike their job too. You're just young enough to be able to move on.
08:59 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
I think what she's asking though is if keeping a job for such a short period of time and then quitting will reflect poorly on future job applications for other jobs.
09:14 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 23 Years Old
Nah, i don't think so. Especially not if it's not the only job she's ever had.
09:18 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
claw38
Athens, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
The only jobs I've ever had are in grocery stores..I've been lucky enough to work with awesome people at the stores, but thank God it's time to start looking for a full time job/internship. Bagging groceries/cashiering for five years is more than enough to make a man feel worthless haha

Also, as long as you give the two weeks notice, you'll be fine. It won't reflect poorly on future job hunts unless you worked a ton of jobs for a small amount of time.
10:40 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
jasonisasleep
No Avatar Selected
Seattle, WA
Male
Today, I celebrate my 90 days with a physical therapy company. The upside to that is now I get paid for holidays (just in time for the big ones!) .... The downside? This place is terrible. My therapists are wonderful and so is the office staff. But the people higher up the ladder are conniving snakes, among other things. While I could go on, I'll cut to the chase:

What is the "polite" amount of time to stay with a company before moving on?

I have a marketing degree ad this has always been meant to be temporary. But now 3 of my therapists are leaving within a 2-month time frame, and we all share the same view of the higher-ups. I've begun applying for marketing/graphics jobs, but is it too soon? Would future employers view 3-4 months with a company distasteful?

Aside from that, blow off some steam and tell me why you hate your job.

Future employers would most likely see 3-4 months at a company as a negative thing, however if you interview just be sure to stress that your dream career/degree is in the marketing/design field and that is why you are applying for new positions. If I were you, I would begin applying for new jobs around the 6 month mark, that way any interview you get you really won't have to explain yourself as 6 months (and companies I've worked for agree) is a standard time to "give" to a position before exploring other options.
10:47 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 29 Years Old
I love my job at Cartoon Network. I get to watch cartoons and play games all day while also doing fun design work. 100% serious.
10:48 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Symphonicaxiom
Tell me it's you or nothing at all
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
I don't know about when, but don't get hit by cars, make mashed potatoes, or get hit by cars whenever you decide to...
11:07 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 26 Years Old
Yeah, future employers aren't going to like that you only worked somewhere 3 - 4 months and then quit. That doesn't mean other places won't hire you, but it's not something that will work in your favor.

Also, if you plan on getting a reference(s) from any boss/supervisors where you currently work, it's possible that they may not like that you're quitting when 3 other people are also doing so within a 2 month period. I'd give them at least a month notice if you want a reference, but, if not, then fuck 'em.
11:42 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
Pa
Male - 27 Years Old
I love my job at Cartoon Network. I get to watch cartoons and play games all day while also doing fun design work. 100% serious.

I've never hated anyone more than I hate you at this very moment.
11:51 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
punkcrap
a stupid fuck with brilliant luck.
Brazil
Male - 24 Years Old
I work in an ad agency. I get to work with graphic design while listening to music and posting useless comments like this one here on ap.net, so that's cool. But at the same time I'm frustrated with the shitty paycheck I get every month. I'm kind of sick of being broke and not being able to make big plans for my future due to this. I seriously want out.

Also it's been 1 year since I started working here, my 1st job out of college, and I feel like I won't be doing any serious career development. Sometimes it feels like a dead-end, even though it's in the area I graduated.
12:05 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 29 Years Old
I've never hated anyone more than I hate you at this very moment.

I'm just saying that eventually it's worth it. I did 6.5 years at a really tough college and a lot of it while working at the same time. It eventually pays off if you work hard at something.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets