Username
Password

07:30 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
So after kickin it with the rents for a couple years post-college it is time for me to head out on my own. I checked out my first place, (found on craigslist from an ad I had posted looking for a small 1 BR/studio apartment.) I checked it out not knowing the rent but knowing it was a small basement apartment. So naturally it was smaller than it seemed in the pictures, dirty, and had dead spots in the floor. There was a small mini fridge and no room for a larger, and no stove/oven only a hot plate. It was furnished but not well and there was a ratty futon in the middle of the room. In my head I was like $500 a month a most but the guy told me it'd be $600. CT has some of the highest rents for sure but this wasn't really in a super desirable area or anything. Based on some similar places I've looked at online this seemed a bit high. Sorry for rambling but I was just looking for a second opinion. Should I hold out for better or is this what I can expect?
08:04 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
bobcatbob18
Hang your secrets
Chicago, Il
Male - 27 Years Old
I wouldn't have expected a price like that in a place that's NOT Chicago or NY. I know it's stressful but I'd say keep looking, dude. $600 for a mini fridge and a hot plate? PASS.
08:11 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
That's what I was feeling. Frustrating thing is all the nice one bedrooms where I'm looking are like $750 and nice 2 bed rooms are like $900, but all my friends are living with their girlfriends weeehhh
08:14 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
bobcatbob18
Hang your secrets
Chicago, Il
Male - 27 Years Old
That's what I was feeling. Frustrating thing is all the nice one bedrooms where I'm looking are like $750 and nice 2 bed rooms are like $900, but all my friends are living with their girlfriends weeehhh

I've always lived with friends/roommates and am now currently living with my girlfriend, which is a 2 bedroom for $975 (basically a STEAL in a nice northern Chicago neighborhood). Have you thought about looking on criagslist for roomies? That's how I found 2 guys I lived with for about 9 months and lucked out that they weren't weirdos, were my own age, and we got along pretty well.
08:33 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
I've always lived with friends/roommates and am now currently living with my girlfriend, which is a 2 bedroom for $975 (basically a STEAL in a nice northern Chicago neighborhood). Have you thought about looking on criagslist for roomies? That's how I found 2 guys I lived with for about 9 months and lucked out that they weren't weirdos, were my own age, and we got along pretty well.

Yeah I've thought about it, pretty hesitant though haha.
08:46 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
Kassie09
in the empire business
Pittsburgh, PA
Female - 23 Years Old
I share a 1 BR apartment w/ someone else and our rent is $1200 a month + utilities + 800 a year to park.

So to me, $600 would be awesome if I could just pay this and live alone. Doesn't seem bad at all. Then again, my rent is for a college town, so they know we're all kinda stuck..not sure what rent is like in the real world!
09:54 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
I've never paid more than $300/month (besides dorms), so my knowledge of rental markets is pretty limited. If possible, I'd hold out for something better though.
11:01 PM on 11/19/12 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
$600 a month is pretty average in East Lansing. At least in parts near campus/downtown. I'm paying $530 right now but it's easily the shittiest place I've seen in the area haha.
07:26 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 23 Years Old
My rent is $1100 here in FL, and it's a pretty decent apartment (4 bed 3 bath 1200 square feet). That would absolutely blow to have to pay $400+
Mine comes out to $280 after it's divided up between us.
07:34 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 22 Years Old
I live in Boston so everything below $1000 seems like a good deal to me. I share an apartment and it's $1300 per month, so $650 each. That place doesn't sound worth it though.
07:43 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
Place sounds awful man, even if the rent is fair haha.
07:46 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
TorontoMatt
No Avatar Selected
get a roomate. in hollywood i paid 700 all inclusive and my roomate paid 700 for a 2bed 2bath.
now in toronto im paying $1750 for a 1 bedroom
08:14 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
don't settle for a futon, mini fridge and a hot plate... not for that price

I live in a fairly decent neighborhood in Dallas... in a 2 bedroom duplex that's about 1100 square feet with a stove/oven, full size fridge, backyard and a one car garage - I pay $750 a month but I've got it knocked down to $730 cuz I mow the lawn myself... Bills runs me anywhere from $175-300 depending on if it's summer/winter etc... I live with my gf so it's not bad at all... Rent in other cities might be more, but I've paid $420 for 1 bedroom apartments with full size fridges, stoves/ovens and even a washer/dryer

I'd definitely look around a bit more before making any decisions
08:46 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
spiffa0
I am the Third Revelation
Westmont, NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
I pay 800 a month in southern New Jersey which is actually cheap for the area...
09:28 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
EffigyOMA
No Avatar Selected
Rockford, IL
Male - 29 Years Old
That doesn't sound like a very good deal. Sounds like you'd be sick and needing to move out after six months. I rented a house in glorious Rockford, Illinois for $830/mo and it seemed like a steal until we got burglarized and the landlord tried to rip us out of thousands of dollars on the move out (I had to sue just to get my deposit back, had to go to court before he gave me the overpaid rent back). If the price is too good to be true and the property isn't taken care of, chances are the landlord won't take care of you. Run like hell.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos