AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Hip-Hop News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Macklemore Issues Statement on Teacher Suspension

Posted by - 03:59 PM on 11/29/12
Macklemore has issued a statement regarding the incident in Michigan where a middle school teacher was suspended for playing his song "Same Love" in the classroom. You can read his statement in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
03:59 PM on 11/29/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Macklemore Issues StatementI believe that Ms. Johnson getting suspended is completely out of line and unjust. However, I think it’s important for moments like these to be exposed and for us to pay attention and respond. This level of intolerance and fear is still very active in America, but at times is not completely visible. This incident is just one of tens of thousands that have happened across the country where schools have exposed a latent homophobia, preventing safe space for all young people to feel confident in being themselves. It’s clear that Ms. Johnson felt bullying and “gay bashing” were issues that needed to be addressed, and by doing so, was punished.
I wrote the song “Same Love,” not with the expectation that it would cure homophobia and lead to marriage equality across the US (although that’d be awesome). It was written with the hope that it would facilitate dialogue and through those conversations understanding and empathy would emerge. This incident demonstrates how too often we are quick to silence conversations that must be had. Even if people disagree, there is far more potential for progress when people are vocal and honestly expressing their thoughts about gay rights. When we are silent and avoid the issue, fear and hatred have a far greater life span.
It’s discouraging that a song about love and civil rights has led to a teacher getting suspended from her job. But that’s where we are at. For those of us who get a pit in our stomach when reading a story like this, it just makes it abundantly clear there is far more work to be done.
- Macklemore
04:02 PM on 11/29/12
theHECKLER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good for the school administration. Keep it up!
04:09 PM on 11/29/12
JayDanielHammer
User Info.
04:14 PM on 11/29/12
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
There's gotta be some sort of macro or whatever that whenever you post something it automatically changes your post to say, "Don't worry. I'm just trolling."
04:15 PM on 11/29/12
ForEveryHeart
No God
User Info.
i love that gif more than anything i've ever seen.... true story
04:22 PM on 11/29/12
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
04:28 PM on 11/29/12
Ashur
Shitty musician.
User Info.
Very well said. I have so much respect for this guy, I've seen his lyrics help people first hand.
04:36 PM on 11/29/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Bad troll.
05:17 PM on 11/29/12
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
Probably the best thing to happen to this overrated rapper.
05:20 PM on 11/29/12
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
Macklemore's a good dude. Bummed the incident is connected to my state.
05:43 PM on 11/29/12
Charles777
my anaconda don't
User Info.
Good dude.
05:49 PM on 11/29/12
DisenShaanted
User Info.
I wonder if it would have been more acceptable to play Danny Brown's "I Will." How dare teachers progress with the times.
06:07 PM on 11/29/12
turningdrummer
User Info.
I played showed the video for "Make It Stop (September's Child)" by Rise Against to my Christian middle and high school students in chapel one time to show them the possible outcomes of their bullying. The uncomfortable silence after the video was quite telling.
06:18 PM on 11/29/12
movingxpictures
Is it a dream keeping you awake?
User Info.
Oh, public schools.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT