Password
This Thread is Closed.

06:46 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
The Warriors tanked an entire month last season and no one gave a shit. You could make the argument that the Wizards have been tanking for 3 years. Any repercussions for the Spurs sitting their stars for one game, regardless of the time slot or TV network, is fucking moronic.

Part of the risk you take when buying tickets is that players aren't guaranteed to play. There is no "you have to play if you're healthy! The fans want to see you!" rule.

And frankly, I don't give a shit what the fans like. This league needs more teams like the Spurs and more coaches like Pop - those that will do whatever it takes to win in the long run, even if it means essentially losing a game on purpose.
07:08 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
skibby15
Registered Member
The Hoosier State
Male - 24 Years Old
^ /argument
07:24 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
morgantayler
Winter is Coming
Gainesville, FL
Female - 20 Years Old
i mean there can't be a person out there that agrees with stern right? there's no way

Whatever punishment he gives to them will probably be to harsh, but I understand where he is coming from. A few years ago, my dad got me tickets to go see the Heat play the Magic in Orlando. I am a big Heat fan, and when I found out Dwyane Wade and Shaq weren't playing, or even at the game at all, it made me pretty upset. So I definitely get why he is so heated about this.
07:29 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
Please. This is not about fans not getting to see the stars. This isn't the first time the Spurs have done this, Stern only now gives a fuck because it was against the Heat on TNT and the NBA lost money because of it.
07:30 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
skibby15
Registered Member
The Hoosier State
Male - 24 Years Old
but did the NBA really lose that much money? doubt it.
07:32 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
IcedOpethBlind
Houston Sports.
Houston, Texas
Male - 28 Years Old
Stern sucks, the spurs were playing their 4th game in 5 nights, and they lost by 5 haha
07:34 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
Nah, not really, probably none. Only argument I could see is for disappointed fans, and yeah, if I went to a game excited for the away team, and then their best players weren't there when they could've been, I'd be pretty pissed. Pop can run his team how he wants it though.
07:36 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
but did the NBA really lose that much money? doubt it.

I doubt it as well. But anyone that seriously believes he wants to punish them because ticket holders didn't get to see Duncan, etc. is out of their mind. He could not give less of a fuck about that.

Like I said, they've done this before. He only wants to punish them because they did it on a Thursday night with no other games on at that time, on TNT, against the Heat.

Say tonight was their 4th game in 5 nights, and they were playing the Bobcats, and Pop sat all the stars. Stern wouldn't give a shit, and neither would anyone else.
11:44 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
domotime2
Lee Corvallo's Putting Challenge
New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
Nah, not really, probably none. Only argument I could see is for disappointed fans, and yeah, if I went to a game excited for the away team, and then their best players weren't there when they could've been, I'd be pretty pissed. Pop can run his team how he wants it though.
i mean you know the deal though. when you buy a ticket, it doesn't say 'guarantee to see Tony Parker". It says "san antonio spurs vs miami heat 11/29". You're paying to watch the spurs vs the heat, and that's what you got...and you ended up getting one heck of a game in the end!

it happens in baseball ALL the time. i mean it's th nba, there's 80 games in a season, 16 teams make the playoffs....pop knows the truth, 'regular season games dont mean ANYTHING'.
11:52 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
Male - 23 Years Old
Pop has done this for the past 2-3 years and it was obvious after the 2OT game in Toronto (to any SA fan at least) that nobody was going to play in this Miami game. I even made a post about it in this thread on Monday. It's the definition of an overreaction, especially after he issued the statement before the game last night and it ended up being great.
11:54 AM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
flks511
You can't be my friend
Phoenix, AZ
Male - 21 Years Old
I don't agree with what he is going to do, whatever it might be, but I completely understand why he's pissed. This is a nationally televised game that can hurt the image of the NBA. If this were a regular locally broadcast game it wouldn't matter but TNT pays a looooooooot to get the rights to these games. For Pop to essentially tank on a primetime game negatively reflects on the NBA. Fans don't want to see a game like that lol
A game like what? One that comes down to the final twenty seconds or so? It was a great game, fans don't have anything to bitch about.
12:30 PM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com/
i mean you know the deal though. when you buy a ticket, it doesn't say 'guarantee to see Tony Parker". It says "san antonio spurs vs miami heat 11/29". You're paying to watch the spurs vs the heat, and that's what you got...and you ended up getting one heck of a game in the end!

it happens in baseball ALL the time. i mean it's th nba, there's 80 games in a season, 16 teams make the playoffs....pop knows the truth, 'regular season games dont mean ANYTHING'.

I know I know, and I get that, I just also get why some people would be upset. Doesn't seem like any of the fans were disappointed because it was a pretty good game, but I'm sure they'd have like to see those major players out there to really add to the enjoyment. Def don't think anything negative should happen to the Spurs.
01:18 PM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
Falls Church, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
"The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams. And Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second-guess." - Adam Silver last April
Pop has done this for the past 2-3 years and it was obvious after the 2OT game in Toronto (to any SA fan at least) that nobody was going to play in this Miami game. I even made a post about it in this thread on Monday. It's the definition of an overreaction, especially after he issued the statement before the game last night and it ended up being great.
Woj's takedown of Stern for this is great, and it ties in nicely to both of your points. Basically, Stern has always hated Pop/the Spurs, and this is just the least transparent of his moves

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html

My favorite part is the beautiful twist of how Stern has hated the Spurs for not drawing ratings, that their "stars" didn't draw; and yet his only real justification here is that they sat their stars and the game didn't draw...
03:47 PM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 29 Years Old
Staff Member
he got murked
03:49 PM on 11/30/12 
User Info.
S/T
There's a lot of buzz around Lenny
I know some people are sour on Woj because he went a little overboard with his criticism of LBJ (and this is coming from someone who hated James), but I think he's a great writer. Loved the Spurs/Pop article.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos