I've been a Windows user my whole life but as of late, I've been seriously contemplating making the jump to a Mac. The main thing holding me back is that I don't have a lot of experience with OSX so I'm kind of concerned with making the transition. I've been using an iPhone for the past year and an iPad for the past 9 months and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with how intuitive they are and how little maintenance they require.
What I use my computer for:
- Mainly as a central hub for all of my media (music [iTunes], movies [VLC], documents [Microsoft Word/Evernote], pictures, etc.]
- Downloading and unzipping files [Winzip]
- I have my laptop hooked up to a 17" Dynex TV that I'm using as a monitor (hooked up via VGA) and it's also hooked up to my 42" LG TV via HDMI for
- Web browsing (including Netflix) [Mozilla Firefox]
- Accounting - currently just starting out with this (mostly using Excel) but from what I've heard, Macs don't handle accounting software
very well. However, if I got a Mac, I would keep my current laptop and use it for anything my Mac couldn't do
- Very minimal (if any) gaming
Why I'm thinking of switching:
- I've found over the past few years of owning my own PC's, I've been having to upgrade almost every two years and it's been getting
frustrating in that regard - I tend to upgrade because I find my computers get laggier and laggier
- I really like the UI of iOS and how intuitive it is
- I have an iPhone and iPad which I feel would work even better with a Mac (it would essentially complete the ecosystem)
- When I do anything moderately intensive (such as using iTunes before v11 was released), open lots of tabs in Mozilla Firefox, use
certain streaming services (mostly the ones that bands use to stream concerts) my laptop gets super hot (even though I'm using a
cooling mat) and my PC will crash.
- Simple things are starting to make my computer lag out which is pretty frustrating.
- If I stay with Windows I'd be getting Windows 8 most likely, so I'd have to learn a new OS either way
Why I'm kind of on the fence:
- I'd have to learn a whole new OS
- Macs are pricier so if I'll still have to upgrade every two years I'll be no further ahead and I'll just be wasting more money
- Macs seem to be less compatible with programs than Windows
- I'd be boxing myself in completely into the Apple ecosystem
- I've been told multiple times that if I put the amount of money that I would put into a Mac into a PC instead, that the performance I'd
get from Windows would be much better
- For Apple products, I'm mainly considering a 21.5" iMac and the Mac Mini as these seem to be the most reasonably priced and would suite my needs
but the iMac doesn't even have an HDMI port and the Mac Mini has an HDMI port but I don't see how I could hook up dual monitors like I'm using now
Here's what I'm currently running:
I paid $500 CAD for it in November or December of 2010.
Anyone who has made a switch from Mac to Windows, Windows to Mac or people who have experience with both OS's want to give me some advice/guidance?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I'm not a fanboy for either company (lately, I've just enjoyed how my Apple products have worked), I'm just not particularly computer savy and just want to have a really consistent experience where I don't have to worry about the maintenance and upkeep of my computer.