Username
Password

05:23 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
You know those people that aren't really into anything specific? I'm trying to buy a xmas gift for my sister and I'm just like, do you like anything?

The answer is no. I've been thinking for like two months what to get her because her daughter was like "omg my mom got your present and its REALLY good" and so now I don't want to get her a gift card like usual.

So help me, people. Here's a little about her:

-28, mom of two girls
-Enjoys the finer things, like MAC makeup and coach bags (unfortunately I know little about those things)
-Doesn't wear nice jewelry because she loses it
-Likes clothes
-Is unbelievably picky/controlling about everything, so clothes is out of the question

LIKE THAT'S IT. She's obsessed with makeup but I don't know enough about it to get her something specific.

Help me and/or post about your own gift-giving predicaments.

TLDR; what the hell do I get my sister for Xmas
08:26 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
dohare
No Avatar Selected
Swedesboro, NJ
Male - 23 Years Old
are you totally against getting her a gift card? i got my girlfriend a giftcard to coach last year for her birthday, she'd rather just have the money than me pick something shitty out.
08:34 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
I bought this and I can't decide if I should give it to my brother or my dad. It's from Christmas Vacation, I'm including a copy of the DVD. I'm fairly certain they've each seen it, but I'm not sure either will get the reference right away. Who gets it, and what do I get the other person?

Also, need ideas for my brother's wife, my aunt, and my mom's husband.
08:36 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
Los Angeles
Male
Take her out to a nice dinner. Being from SoCal there a hundreds of awesome restaurants (Lawry's)
08:40 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
I bought this and I can't decide if I should give it to my brother or my dad. It's from Christmas Vacation, I'm including a copy of the DVD. I'm fairly certain they've each seen it, but I'm not sure either will get the reference right away. Who gets it, and what do I get the other person?

Also, need ideas for my brother's wife, my aunt, and my mom's husband.

How old is your brother? Maybe it depends on who would get a kick out of actually wearing the sweater.

For my aunt and my brothers girlfriend, I think jewelry works. My aunt is fine with anything so I can just pick something up at Macy's and then for my brothers girlfriend, she's like 26 so I figured something name-brand should do the trick. Juicy Couture (sp?) has necklaces for like $50. I think if you're not close to a lady then a simple necklace can be nice.

Take her out to a nice dinner. Being from SoCal there a hundreds of awesome restaurants (Lawry's)

That doesn't seem like more of a birthday or congratulatory gift?
08:42 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
marieeboxx
Cat Lady
West Coast
Female - 24 Years Old
Gift cards?

If someone doesn't know what to buy me, they should buy me a Starbucks gift card so I don't have to spend my own money on coffee and go broke. Lol
08:43 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
are you totally against getting her a gift card? i got my girlfriend a giftcard to coach last year for her birthday, she'd rather just have the money than me pick something shitty out.

Sort of, I don't like giving gift cards as a "main gift" already, and now that I know she went out if her way to get me something. Worst case I'll get a few gift cards to some of her favorite places, that's sort of personal I think? Maybe?

I just get weirded out by the idea of like "Merry Christmas, here is a store card wherein I spent exactly $200 and 3 minutes on you, hoping you didn't spend too much more or less, thanks for the gift you thoughtfully planned out months ago" Maybe. Blargh. People are hard!
08:46 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wiscompton
Male - 22 Years Old
How old is your brother? Maybe it depends on who would get a kick out of actually wearing the sweater.

He's 23 and probably more likely to have an opportunity to wear it than my dad, but my brother is also generally easier to shop for so it wouldn't be as difficult to find something else for my brother.
08:49 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
He's 23 and probably more likely to have an opportunity to wear it than my dad, but my brother is also generally easier to shop for so it wouldn't be as difficult to find something else for my brother.

That changes it a little. My dad is kind of difficult to shop for, as dads tend to be, so when I find something perfect for him I go with it. If he likes Chevy Chase and goofball 80s movies like my dad, I got this Best Of 80's SNL castmembers collection that he loved.
09:20 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
dohare
No Avatar Selected
Swedesboro, NJ
Male - 23 Years Old
Sort of, I don't like giving gift cards as a "main gift" already, and now that I know she went out if her way to get me something. Worst case I'll get a few gift cards to some of her favorite places, that's sort of personal I think? Maybe?

I just get weirded out by the idea of like "Merry Christmas, here is a store card wherein I spent exactly $200 and 3 minutes on you, hoping you didn't spend too much more or less, thanks for the gift you thoughtfully planned out months ago" Maybe. Blargh. People are hard!

Well, here's what I'd do, not to plug this but i work for a small company right now (www.ournameismud.com) you could buy her something novel and thoughtful like a mug or from any site that says you thought and cared, but not spend that much, and than throw the basically-cash gift cards inside as a "now here's something you can really use"

just my two scents, bought my gf a buncha jewlery this year that i'm gonna put in a "I <3 Your Ass" mug this year, boyfriend of the year award - incoming.

after reading what i just wrote, maybe take this with a grain of salt, lmao.
09:23 PM on 12/10/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
Well, here's what I'd do, not to plug this but i work for a small company right now (www.ournameismud.com) you could buy her something novel and thoughtful like a mug or from any site that says you thought and cared, but not spend that much, and than throw the basically-cash gift cards inside as a "now here's something you can really use"

just my two scents, bought my gf a buncha jewlery this year that i'm gonna put in a "I <3 Your Ass" mug this year, boyfriend of the year award - incoming.

after reading what i just wrote, maybe take this with a grain of salt, lmao.

No, thanks! I was actually kind of thinking the same idea, like get gift cards but put them in something cute, inexpensive and personal. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!
12:17 AM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old
MAC and Sephora have some really great gift sets, since you mentioned MAC. Most of the better MAC gifts are sold out online, but Sephora still has some. I get my gifts for all the women at my family at Sephora and they always love them. Does she have a good set of brushes? MAC brushes are really nice if she doesn't. Otherwise I'd recommend the Sephora gift sets. Nothing actually Sephora brand though. I've never had good luck with actual Sephora brand stuff. I'd recommend the Naked palette if you don't want to go the gift set route. I don't know anybody who doesn't love it.

tbh your present probably isn't that amazing - not to be rude. I've known kids to exaggerate. When I was a kid I thought us getting my mom a cubic zirconia necklace from JC Pennys was the best gift ever. I even left the cunic zirconia sticker on the case because I thought it was some ~expensive and classy~ jewel. I also got excited about giving my mom a spice rack when I was seven. Point is, kids exaggerate. Don't feel too intimidated.
07:04 AM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
MAC and Sephora have some really great gift sets, since you mentioned MAC. Most of the better MAC gifts are sold out online, but Sephora still has some. I get my gifts for all the women at my family at Sephora and they always love them. Does she have a good set of brushes? MAC brushes are really nice if she doesn't. Otherwise I'd recommend the Sephora gift sets. Nothing actually Sephora brand though. I've never had good luck with actual Sephora brand stuff. I'd recommend the Naked palette if you don't want to go the gift set route. I don't know anybody who doesn't love it.

tbh your present probably isn't that amazing - not to be rude. I've known kids to exaggerate. When I was a kid I thought us getting my mom a cubic zirconia necklace from JC Pennys was the best gift ever. I even left the cunic zirconia sticker on the case because I thought it was some ~expensive and classy~ jewel. I also got excited about giving my mom a spice rack when I was seven. Point is, kids exaggerate. Don't feel too intimidated.
Haha no I don't think she got me anything super amazing, it's more that she got me something that made her think of me, and all I can think for her is a gift card - and again I hate gift cards!

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with one of OPI's Sephora gift sets or a Ciate set. They're cute, nice, and she always borrows my nail polish so I think that might be nice. BTWZ she has every MAC brush and piece of makeup. No exaggeration, she has like 60 eyeshadows, it's out of hand haha.
07:59 AM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
wakeupgomer
Just here for the drinks.
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 31 Years Old
I "designed" a custom iPhone case for my wife. It is basically a photo collage of our daughters. It was very reasonably priced on shutterfly and I just used pictures from my iPhone (and the resolution/quality turned out great). You mentioned she is a mother of 2...not terribly original but a thoughtful gift.
08:24 AM on 12/11/12 
User Info.
Mr. Dennis
What we like most is kicking a blue
Raleigh, NC
Male - 28 Years Old
stalk their pinterest and see what they pinned

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music