Password

Album Review

Terrible Things - Pre-Transmission EP Album Cover

Terrible Things - Pre-Transmission EP

Reviewed by
Terrible ThingsPre-Transmission EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 11, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s been a bumpy road for Terrible Things since their 2010 self-titled introductory record. Both Andy Jackson and Josh Eppard left the band. Fred Mascherino then had quite the battle to be released from his major label contract. Following all of these tumultuous events, Mascherino decided to hole up in his home studio, recording and producing Pre-Transmission by himself.

As a huge fan of Terrible Things back in 2010, I was very interested in how Mascherino would follow up. However, this EP is a mixed bag at best. The thing about Terrible Things was the wonderfully executed stark contrast between Jackson’s wail and Mascherino’s gritty, near-screaming vocal pattern, alike to his performance in Taking Back Sunday. While there’s no denying Mascherino can surely hold his ground here, the structure of the majority of these five songs is offbeat. The introductory “History” starts off with an industrial, fuzzy sound as Mascherino repeats, “Those who forget the past / Are destined to repeat it,” building confidence and momentum each time. The track is exactly what we’d expect from Terrible Things – gritty vocals and ruminating confidence – and it works quite well.

Even the brooding minute of “Confession” had me interested in what was to follow, as I was expecting the follow-up “Innocent” to continue the dark, menacing atmosphere of its first half. I thought the latter of these would provide the counterbalance to Mascherino’s chilling plea, “Pray for my soul / I can’t get to heaven” on the former. The chorus of “Innocent” instead has an upbeat, classic rock vibe to it, bolstered by traditional guitar riffs and simplistic drumming. It just doesn’t fit the atmosphere that “Confession” set up for it – it’s sun-soaked, not dark.

I had high hopes for “Last Look” once I saw Jon Simmons (of Balance and Composure) was involved with the track. However, the pacing of the track takes its toll here; the song is all over the map. Near the middle of the track, “Last Look” develops a sort of early 00’s, late ‘90s radio pop-rock feel that is just odd. When it finally picks up, it does so with great aggression and success, but it’s too little, too late, unfortunately. Moreover, for what starts off as a ballad, it lacks the poignancy Mascherino has put forth in the past (see “Can’t Be True”).

The final “Hospital” does gain the EP some ground, making me wish this is what the entire EP sounded like. When Mascherino yells, “I know it’s wrong but that’s how we did it,” in perfect unison with his angry guitar strums, I can’t help but think this is what this entire EP should have sounded like – loud and aggressive. Unfortunately, again, it’s too little, too late with Pre-Transmission. Listening to Terrible Things now, it’s a shame that confidence and sound couldn’t be harnessed here, as it was quite the impressive debut record. Here’s to hoping for more of the raw, unharnessed sound of “Hospital” on Terrible Things’ next record, because both this closer and their debut record demonstrate further potential for the band.

6.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
08:45 AM on 12/12/12
LetterBomb31
// I M P O S S I B L E S O U L //
User Info.
Pfffff. Totally disagree with this review. A solid 8/10 for me.
09:01 AM on 12/12/12
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
User Info.
I wanna check this out for myself. Fred is the man.
09:03 AM on 12/12/12
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It isn't bad, but I don't think Fred has sounded any better than on this EP. Still expecting something good out of the next full length
12:08 PM on 12/12/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
There are more members of The Color Fred in this band than Terrible Things members, if you go by each band's first release at least. Doesn't really mean anything, but I find it kinda funny
12:21 PM on 12/12/12
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
Yeesh. I didn't think it was too bad. Definitely not as good as the full length, but still pretty decent.. Good review, though.
07:43 AM on 12/13/12
Erik Bihl
I Like Music
User Info.
I only like one song of this EP. Dont really like the direction their going
11:42 PM on 12/15/12
JoeForPresident
Vocals/Guitar - Modern Chemistry
User Info.
i think this EP is radical
03:38 PM on 01/29/13
trojanick
they all got boyfriends anyway
User Info.
Yeah, this review is wrong. Killer EP. Fred can do no wrong.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos