Username
Password

07:39 PM on 12/20/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
My boyfriend lives in a gated condo/apartment complex. Parking spaces are assigned to tenants, and visitors are required to obtain a parking pass every night which they stay, from the front office. A local towing company checks for the passes and towes any vehicles without.

He has lived here now for 3 months, and I stay, on average, 2-3 nights out of the week. I'm religious about getting the parking passes, as I'm super paranoid that I'll get towed. When I go into the office, the complex's concierge has even learned my car by heart, as well as my tag number for the most part.

Last night, around 7, I arrived to find a sign on the window of the office, stating the concierge was out and would return at 8:30. When I got buzzed upstairs, I told my boyfriend about it, and mentioned that I needed to remember to get it taken care of. Not even an hour later, but before 8:30, I was out for the count. I have been working long days, and the lack of sleep caught up to me. Fast forward to 2AM, when my man's roommate is frantically waking me up to inform me that my car had been towed. I had him drive me to the impound lot, and $150 and 45 minutes later, I had my car back.

In all seriousness, I'm devastated. The fee has diminished my savings, and while not impossible, since my student loans have kicked in, I've found that the funds are necessary to me. Is there any possible way to get any, if not all of my money back? I'm furious that I made such an expensive mistake, but I feel equally that I cannot be held responsible when the person who is supposed to give me the parking pass is not on duty. Any advice would be appreciated.
08:26 PM on 12/20/12 
User Info.
Amongster
Still On The Sand
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
I don't believe you'll get your money refunded. It would probably be different if your car was towed before the attendant returned to their post, but it wasn't. By 8:30, you were asleep while they were back in their office, and you didn't come back to get a pass. Perhaps the owner of the impound lot could give your money back as a token of goodwill during the holidays, but it's the longest of long shots. That sort of generosity is rare.
08:47 PM on 12/20/12 
User Info.
Kassie09
in the empire business
Pittsburgh, PA
Female - 23 Years Old
There's nothing you can do. I live in a college town and the tow trucks patrol constantly and your car can be gone in a matter of 15 minutes. It's shitty, but that's part of the rules.
09:24 PM on 12/20/12 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
You probably won't get it back.

Sell some stuff on eBay. And get yourself into a situation in which losing $150 doesn't diminish your savings!
09:46 PM on 12/20/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 22 Years Old
You are not an exception to the rule.
12:23 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
bmtsheets
North Carolina
Male - 26 Years Old
a 24 year old with $150 in savings and the hope of getting her money back from a towing company because she fell asleep....

welcome to the world. it's time to grow up.
04:17 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
spiffa0
I am the Third Revelation
Westmont, NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
Life's tough, get a helmet...

05:42 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
Hudson County, NJ
Male
Talk to these guys:

07:18 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
a 24 year old with $150 in savings and the hope of getting her money back from a towing company because she fell asleep....

welcome to the world. it's time to grow up.

I have more than $150 in savings, thank you. I realize I am not an exception to the rule, but I now have $500 in student loans a month.

Money is back in my account this morning, anywho.
07:58 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
i've never seen people/guys so tough on a girl before. anyway, you won't get your money back. See if you can get a parking spot, the concierge might give you one, but that's another long shot. I liked your story though, I wish my girlfriend was more like you. She kinda sucks and complains a lot since she too needs a parking pass every time she visits. We don't tow because it's illegal to do that in Canada, but she gets tickets if she doesn't get a pass.

I just realized that I have two girlfriends.
08:10 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 22 Years Old
i've never seen people/guys so tough on a girl before.

Should she have been treated differently because she was playing damsel in distress? I don't think so. It was technically her mistake and she paid for it. I don't see how people pointing that out is being tough on her
08:44 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
ChaseTx
Responses in here are pretty shitty. The only chance would be to talk to the apartment complex and see if they can help you work it out.

I believe last time I got towed it was well over $150, so there's that.
08:45 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Should she have been treated differently because she was playing damsel in distress? I don't think so. It was technically her mistake and she paid for it. I don't see how people pointing that out is being tough on her

No way! Girls are WAY too fragile for you to point out their mistakes, you're supposed to walk on egg shells around them at all times... right?
08:53 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 22 Years Old
No way! Girls are WAY too fragile for you to point out their mistakes, you're supposed to walk on egg shells around them at all times... right?

God, how could I forget! Let me spare some random girl on the internet's feelings!
09:02 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 23 Years Old
There's literally nothing you can do. I've been towed during a 15 minute period when i was dropping my friends guitar off at his dorm. That blew. The worst time however was when i parked at my girlfriends apt. in visitor like i did every single day. It was the day we were leaving for Spring Break in Panama City for 10 days. The day i get back from break, my car was gone. I thought it might have been stolen. Find out it had been towed literally the day i had left for break for my registration being out of date (I had paid and everything, the sticker just was in my dads mailbox at his house and i hadn't put it on the car yet). So i was charged like $130 for the first day, and the n $75 for each additional day my car was in the towing lot. Coming back from spring break, a place in which i always spend tons of money, only to find my car had been towed and i owed like $600 was absolutely awful. I feel your pain, and i share the same hatred for towing companies.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos