Username
Password

10:12 PM on 01/01/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I am going to build my first computer over winter break before spring semester starts, and was curious if anyone on AP has built their own before?
10:28 PM on 01/01/13 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 23 Years Old
I have a couple friends who are huge into this, and it absolutely blows my mind that it's possible. I don't have the analytical or mechanical ability to even process it, so I'm probably blowing out of proportion just how complex it is, but it's impressive nonetheless. All I really have to say on this topic, sorry I couldn't offer you anything productive.
10:30 PM on 01/01/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I have a couple friends who are huge into this, and it absolutely blows my mind that it's possible. I don't have the analytical or mechanical ability to even process it, so I'm probably blowing out of proportion just how complex it is, but it's impressive nonetheless. All I really have to say on this topic, sorry I couldn't offer you anything productive.

No worries. I actually am really novice at PC's, and I have been a mac user for four years now. But if you ever have the time, some of the "how to build" type videos on youtube are really helpful and show how easy it actually is. The concept was very daunting at first, but with self research it seems to get easier and easier sounding.
11:57 PM on 01/01/13 
User Info.
Symphonicaxiom
Tell me it's you or nothing at all
Chicago
Male - 26 Years Old
Yea, I'm actually going to update my build in about a month. Are you building gaming/editing, or just general use?
12:23 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
SkateFirm21
on the brightside, she could choke.
It might seem intimidating to some, but its really not that hard when you get into it.
12:55 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
steve187
nah
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 23 Years Old
i've built two
02:01 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
NickIsI
I'm Only Here to Disappoint
Chesterfield, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
Or for the lazy folk

On topic though, I want to do this someday, when I actually have money to do it.

My friend built his own and spent about $1,200. It was a beautiful machine.
02:02 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
done
It's a lot easier than it sounds/looks, it might be a bit intimidating but really, all you are doing is slotting things into the right places. The only thing you might cock-up on is applying thermal paste the CPU if you've never done it before, but just read the manual or google it if you aren't too sure.

I like to do a quick build outside of the case first to make sure that everything is working OK and that nothing is DOA, before I put it all inside the case and wonder why x isn't working.
03:34 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm currently planning on making a gaming PC this year, just need to nail down the right configuration for the right price.
05:36 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
Yep, and like every like else has said, it's not that hard once you get started.

Making sure you choose the right parts/good matches for your needs, is the hardest part.
06:47 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
TX
Male - 23 Years Old

This, hahaha.
06:54 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
Regards
I am Groot
Wisconsin
Male - 26 Years Old
I haven't yet, but mainly because I don't have the money for it. From what I've read, it's really not that hard to do. reddit.com/r/buildapc has a fantastic community that helps people out with building PC's.
07:53 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
My dad built a computer a few years ago...

It's not the easiest thing in the world, but putting together a simple computer really isn't that difficult either

Motherboard, hard drive... there's not much more to it

Of course you can take it to the extreme and put tons of shit on it, making it more complicated, but I think the average person could probably build their own computer without too much trouble... I'd suggest looking around online for some manuals/troubleshooting guides

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out/pictures
07:55 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
Regards
I am Groot
Wisconsin
Male - 26 Years Old
Oh, and go to newegg.com and search for "Super Combo's". It'll bring up combo's that you can purchase that are all compatible.
08:08 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
esposimi
Genesis Does what Nintendon't
Harrisburg, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc will help a lot.

Also, I work for a company that custom builds PC's. We use all Intel parts (motherboards and processors), EVGA graphics cards, and Western Digital hard drives (Stay Away from Seagate, Samsung, or Toshiba!)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos