AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Record Sales News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Record Sales
Inside AP.net

Jack White's "Blunderbuss" Tops Vinyl Sales...

Posted by: Keagan Ilvonen (01/02/13)
Jack White's Blunderbuss is the biggest selling vinyl album of 2012 according to Nielsen Soundscan's vinyl charts with over 33,000 copies sold. Knocking The Beatles' Abbey Road off the top spot (a position it had held the previous three years), Blunderbuss sales are the highest for a new album (not a catalog album) since Soundscan began specifically tracking vinyl in 2008.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
08:57 AM on 01/02/13
theHECKLER
User Info.
Um... How?
09:11 AM on 01/02/13
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, that put some things in context. I knew vinyl sales were pretty low but I didn't know that low.
09:25 AM on 01/02/13
xtbs7645x
User Info.
Wow, that put some things in context. I knew vinyl sales were pretty low but I didn't know that low.
vinyl sales have been high that last few years.. I mean obviously nothing compared to what they used to be, but the last few years have seen an increase. http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/perm...12/121004vinyl
09:27 AM on 01/02/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I sold 480 Trophy Scars records. Where does that put me?
09:31 AM on 01/02/13
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Low? That's actually pretty high for any music charting now. I mean, Jack White probably sold 100,000+ copies digitally, but selling 33,000 copies alone can put an artist in the Billboard Top 20 these days. I'd say this is a victory for record enthusiasts...the comeback of vinyl is gradual, but noticeable now.
09:41 AM on 01/02/13
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
i wonder how limited runs factor into other records not selling as many copies. as in, might another record have topped this total if it wasn't limited to 1,000 or something. in any case, cool for jack white. i can't think of anyone who champions the medium more than he does.
09:41 AM on 01/02/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
This actually isn't very surprising. Jack's been a huge proponent for vinyl via his Third Man stuff, and he debuted at No. 1 on Billboard. He's got the perfect audience for vinyl sales.

Low? That's actually pretty high for any music charting now. I mean, Jack White probably sold 100,000+ copies digitally, but selling 33,000 copies alone can put an artist in the Billboard Top 20 these days. I'd say this is a victory for record enthusiasts...the comeback of vinyl is gradual, but noticeable now.

Well said. He debuted with 150k and a No. 1 week, so it actually could be much, much more. I wonder if he hit gold?
10:16 AM on 01/02/13
benjammin07
User Info.
yuck
10:34 AM on 01/02/13
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
10:45 AM on 01/02/13
shwaz499
User Info.
I'm shocked. I thought Kesha was dominating the vinyl market.
10:48 AM on 01/02/13
dreamoverrecord
User Info.
easily one of the best records of the year.
10:58 AM on 01/02/13
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I could have worded that better. I meant that for the best selling vinyl record of the year, I expected it to be much higher, especially with the resurgence of vinyl.
11:07 AM on 01/02/13
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Wow. Very cool
11:22 AM on 01/02/13
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
33K from a single record is a lot. Wonder how many were printed.
Vinyl is never going to be huge again. A lot of its value is due to it being limited. /opinion
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests