05:14 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1231335

http://www.forbes.com/sites/igorgree...-tax-fairness/

Well, this sucks haha. My family can barely pay its bills as is... now under the new healthcare bill, our healthcare costs have skyrocketed, and now this..

Pardon me if I'm incorrect, but wasn't Obama saying that this would only happen to the rich? Like, people making more than $400k? Or am I misunderstanding something? I'm not great at politics, but all I know is that this affects me poorly haha
12:34 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
zporter92
Navarre, FL
Male - 22 Years Old
From that first article, it seems like the majority of the increases are on people making more than 400k. That's really all that the article talked about, so that's who I'm assuming it will impact the most. I could be wrong though, I'm no expert haha
10:06 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
From that first article, it seems like the majority of the increases are on people making more than 400k. That's really all that the article talked about, so that's who I'm assuming it will impact the most. I could be wrong though, I'm no expert haha

It says that someone who makes $50k/year will have to pay $1k more a year now under the reinstatement of this payroll tax
12:13 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
zporter92
Navarre, FL
Male - 22 Years Old
I think I forgot about that because I make nowhere near 50k a year lol. I know that I'm still going to be getting a little more taken out of my paycheck this year than before. Hopefully they can start planning a new system now, instead of waiting until two weeks before the next "cliff" to decide what to do
12:14 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
canceled my cable, it'll help having to eat this increase
12:30 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
woohoo!
There's so much room for activities
Broken Arrow, OK
Male - 22 Years Old
It says that someone who makes $50k/year will have to pay $1k more a year now under the reinstatement of this payroll tax

well that's somewhat unrelated to Obama. under Bush they made a "temporary" tax cut to try to help stimulate the economy. when the time limit came to stop the tax cut, they extended it a few more years. i believe the whole extra 1k of taxes for people making 50k is just related to the end of the Bush era tax cuts
01:42 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
well that's somewhat unrelated to Obama. under Bush they made a "temporary" tax cut to try to help stimulate the economy. when the time limit came to stop the tax cut, they extended it a few more years. i believe the whole extra 1k of taxes for people making 50k is just related to the end of the Bush era tax cuts

Ahh, alright, I guess that makes sense. Still sucks ass, but I understand how in this economy, the government reallly shouldn't continue giving us "gifts" of tax breaks anymore. It's just this combined with a lot of other new taxes and costs that's really gonna be rough on my family, stuff adds up haha
03:52 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
woohoo!
Broken Arrow, OK
Male - 22 Years Old
Ahh, alright, I guess that makes sense. Still sucks ass, but I understand how in this economy, the government really shouldn't continue giving us "gifts" of tax breaks anymore. It's just this combined with a lot of other new taxes and costs that's really gonna be rough on my family, stuff adds up haha

well i wouldn't consider the government taxing us less for a few years a "gift" haha. it is money we earn right? lol. i think the government needs to balance the budget with the revenue they get from taxes. if the government was a business they would have filed for bankruptcy long ago. instead they raise taxes, which i never think is the answer. they have little incentive to be as efficient as possible like a business. if somebody of your party isn't doing a good job, chances are you won't vote for the guy of the other party and hope he does better. you will probably stick to party lines.
03:56 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
apoemtothedead
ppppppppttttttttt.
TX
Male - 26 Years Old
Not under Bush. Nice try.
03:56 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Ahh, alright, I guess that makes sense. Still sucks ass, but I understand how in this economy, the government reallly shouldn't continue giving us "gifts" of tax breaks anymore. It's just this combined with a lot of other new taxes and costs that's really gonna be rough on my family, stuff adds up haha

The only "new" tax effecting your family is the raise in the payroll tax back to what it was before 2010. Everything else is effecting incomes over 400k.

Obama is solely responsible for the payroll tax cut, BTW. It was not a part of the original Bush Tax Cuts, but something Obama insisted on as a stimulus during the 2010 negotiations to extend the Bush tax cuts for another 2 years.

What most liberals would like to see is the cap on the payroll tax (which stops taxing us after we make 113K or so) removed, so that way everyone's money is taxed for SS and, thus, pretty much ending the problem of funding SS.

As for your "healthcare costs skyrocketing" because of ObamaCare...well that would most likely depend on your personal situation and how you get health insurance, and how much of that insurance you use each year. I would be more than happy to try to explain it to you if you felt like divulging that info...but in 2011, Obamacare saved people nearly 1.5 billion dollars
03:58 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
woohoo!
Broken Arrow, OK
Male - 22 Years Old
Not under Bush. Nice try.

never mind. wasn't sure
05:10 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
The only "new" tax effecting your family is the raise in the payroll tax back to what it was before 2010. Everything else is effecting incomes over 400k.

Obama is solely responsible for the payroll tax cut, BTW. It was not a part of the original Bush Tax Cuts, but something Obama insisted on as a stimulus during the 2010 negotiations to extend the Bush tax cuts for another 2 years.

What most liberals would like to see is the cap on the payroll tax (which stops taxing us after we make 113K or so) removed, so that way everyone's money is taxed for SS and, thus, pretty much ending the problem of funding SS.

As for your "healthcare costs skyrocketing" because of ObamaCare...well that would most likely depend on your personal situation and how you get health insurance, and how much of that insurance you use each year. I would be more than happy to try to explain it to you if you felt like divulging that info...but in 2011, Obamacare saved people nearly 1.5 billion dollars

I have a PPO with Blue Cross through my father's employer, and all 5 of us in my family have chronic lyme disease and have been under long-term antibiotics and various doctors appointments for years (my sis and I were even on IVs at home for a good while at home). I'd have to ask my dad more specifically what he was referring to (he's an accountant so I just trust that he knows his shit with money), but he said we'll have to spend a hell of a lot more out of pocket than we did before, which is a bummer because its our medical bills that forced us into bankruptcy in the first place. All I know is that we use our insurance a lot, and the new healthcare plan isn't helping us haha

Probably has to do with the fact that he does make a decent salary, it's just our large bills that have been putting us into a lot of debt over the years
05:13 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
50k is pretty rich, you're basically in the 1% lol occupy RyanPm40's house
05:16 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I have a PPO with Blue Cross through my father's employer, and all 5 of us in my family have chronic lyme disease and have been under long-term antibiotics and various doctors appointments for years (my sis and I were even on IVs at home for a good while at home). I'd have to ask my dad more specifically what he was referring to, but he said we'll have to spend a hell of a lot more out of pocket than we did before, which is a bummer because its our medical bills that forced us into bankruptcy in the first place. All I know is that it isn't helping us haha

Probably has to do with the fact that he does make a decent salary, it's just our large bills that have been putting us into a lot of debt over the years

hmm...I see.

If there's one thing ObamaCare didn't do, it's address health care costs for those who are sick. It was modeled on the idea of "personal responsibility", a conservative ideal, to be a more "bipartisan effort". Unfortunately, this means that those who get insurance but don't use it get their money back, while those who actually use their insurance won't benefit from the same refunds.

This is pretty much my biggest complaint with the law, and the reason why I think a public option needed to be pushed a hell of a lot more.
05:16 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
50k is pretty rich, you're basically in the 1% lol occupy RyanPm40's house

Never said I make 50k, it's just what the article says haha but my dad does make more than that, it's just our medical bills

But.. I wouldn't consider that to be that rich (for a family of 5 anyway), 50k is around the average teacher's salary and we all know how underpaid they are haha, but for someone like me who is in college, that would be an incredible amount of money for me xD

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos