Username
Password

10:39 AM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
So, last night, I was driving home in my 1993.5 G20 (automatic). For the first maybe five minutes, I noticed my dash lights and head lights seemed a bit dim, but whatever. However, gradually, my dash lights, head lights, and RPMs ended up just flashing/revving up and down. By the time I got to the intersection before my house, my engine sounded like it was just jerking, and it looked like I was flashing my lights. All lights in my car were doing the same, but dim. My ABS light came up at this point, too.

I think by the time I got to my drive way, my power steering seemed to be gone, too. I luckily was just able to park at home, and when I took the key out of the ignition, my lights in the car went back to their normal brightness running on the battery, but the car wouldn't start back up again, just stalled a few times.

My father noticed my car was dead this morning (I accidentally left a dome light on when I got home, trying to see how much brighter my lights were with the car just on battery) and jumped it (he said it took him a really long time) but he got it working and drove around with it a bit this morning and noticed nothing wrong.

Anyone hear of something like this happening? Even though my dad said it was working fine for him, it has me a bit nervous haha. He was able to take it to an oil change and a few stores, though.
10:48 AM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
jrayrocks9191
Blah.
Male - 22 Years Old
Sounds like you need a new battery, but if I were you, I would get a professional opinion and/or a new car.
10:54 AM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Sounds like you need a new battery, but if I were you, I would get a professional opinion and/or a new car.

I think the battery is relatively new (maybe a year old), I'm wondering if it's the alternator.. yeah, I'm probably gonna get autozone to check the alt, and maybe bring it to my mechanic after the weekend. Weird that my dad was able to get it running fine today, though. It does randomly have some electrical issues, but it's always ran great. Bought it for $2k 2 years ago with 89k miles, now only have 110k, and this is my first major issue with it.
11:17 AM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
jrayrocks9191
Blah.
Male - 22 Years Old
I think the battery is relatively new (maybe a year old), I'm wondering if it's the alternator.. yeah, I'm probably gonna get autozone to check the alt, and maybe bring it to my mechanic after the weekend. Weird that my dad was able to get it running fine today, though. It does randomly have some electrical issues, but it's always ran great. Bought it for $2k 2 years ago with 89k miles, now only have 110k, and this is my first major issue with it.

Why in the hell would you buy a 20 year old car?
11:19 AM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old

It was only $2,000 dollars with only 89,000 miles with literally nothing wrong with it I've had zero issues in the 2-3 years I've owned it until this point. I only work at a supermarket, so, I mean, it's a pretty common purchase among most high schoolers haha

(and I totaled my '95 integra, and then my '01 civic, didn't have a ton of cash)

G20's have a Nissan engine that is considered to be one of the most reliable engines ever built, too, with many going into the 300k+ range in terms of mileage, so it was a very good deal at the time . The car was 17 when I bought it.
11:29 AM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
Raleigh, NC
Male - 29 Years Old

Transformers are the only Car People I know
12:15 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
zachff
is Dalton Russell
chicago
Male - 27 Years Old

Transformers are the only Car People I know
12:21 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
^ bahahaha

Going to autozone in the next hour or so to see if they can see any codes come up, but I'm not expecting anything. Usually older cars only have codes show up if they currently have a light on the dash from my experiences, and I think my ABS light went away.
12:58 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
jrayrocks9191
Blah.
Male - 22 Years Old
^ bahahaha

Going to autozone in the next hour or so to see if they can see any codes come up, but I'm not expecting anything. Usually older cars only have codes show up if they currently have a light on the dash from my experiences, and I think my ABS light went away.

I wouldn't go to a huge retailer if I were you... Go to an actual family owned type mechanic.
01:43 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
esposimi
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
Lancaster, PA
Male - 23 Years Old
Probably need an alternator, or have a loose wire somewhere. My 2003 Cavalier had an issue with the AC compressor not coming on whenever I would press the snowflake button to engage the cold air. Turned out to be a loose ground wire which was causing a short, I feared the worst!
02:01 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
tedE
No Avatar Selected
Male - 30 Years Old
A battery that is a year old isn't really new, especially if its a cheaper brand. However, if you replaced it yourself, some batteries have a guarantee. I bought a battery from Autozone and a year or so later it went bad. The battery had like a 2 or 3 year warranty. I got a replacement battery of the same grade for like $12.
02:21 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
EvilZeppelin
FUZZZZZZ
Jamestown, NY
Male - 26 Years Old
02:22 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
I wouldn't go to a huge retailer if I were you... Go to an actual family owned type mechanic.

Oh, I know, it's only 'cause it's the weekend and most mechanics are closed. I just wanted them to run a code check on my alternator- I have a mechanic in Methuen, MA at a junkyard that can pull used parts mad cheap for me.

I just got back from AutoZone, and it turns out that I will need a new alternator. I guess my voltage regulator failed. The guy said my battery is completely fine but was at an 82% charge. Oh well, I'm just pleasantly surprised that the issue was able to be found so easily, I've had issues with my older cars where I'll bring it into a mechanic and they'll have no idea what is causing a problem haha. Good thing it's a relatively cheap fix in terms of labor, should only run me about $150 to replace.

EDIT

Huh, just read online that older cars have voltage regulators separate from the alternator, usually somewhere in the engine compartment, so if that's the case with my car, it could be swapped out literally in a matter of minutes. That'd definitely be sweet.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6063073_sym...regulator.html <-- literally every single symptom my car had, so this makes a lot of sense haha

Probably need an alternator, or have a loose wire somewhere. My 2003 Cavalier had an issue with the AC compressor not coming on whenever I would press the snowflake button to engage the cold air. Turned out to be a loose ground wire which was causing a short, I feared the worst!

Oh man, that's really lucky! I'm sure that saved you a bundle of money just being a loose wire xD
07:47 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
Carolina.Alex
they sound like a swan
Welcome, NC/...
Male - 22 Years Old
I drive an 03 Infiniti g35, Nissan knows what they're doing. I was going to say you probably needed a new voltage regulator, but looks like you've already figured that out.
09:16 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
I drive an 03 Infiniti g35, Nissan knows what they're doing. I was going to say you probably needed a new voltage regulator, but looks like you've already figured that out.

I've absolutely loved this car since I've bought it haha it is the oldest, cheapest one so far and has lasted me longer and has given me far less problems than my last two. Someone broke into it and knifed the seats at the dealer ship (knocked a few hundred off the price) so I put some uuugly ass seat covers in it, but as long as it drives reliably and comfortably, I'm happy!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets