AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shane Henderson and The Future Perfect - Control Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Shane Henderson and The Future Perfect - Control

Reviewed by: Jack Appleby (01/08/13)
Shane Henderson and The Future Perfect - Control
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: January 8th, 2013

No vocalist knows how to hit us in the feels quite like Shane Henderson. He inspired in Valencia, he mourned with Promise Of Redemption, and he's movin' on through his new project, The Future Perfect. On their debut EP, Control, we hear Henderson delivering his most musically-mature tunes with a band primed for a long, healthy career.

Though not even a peep had been heard, the band's line-up announcement immediately caught eyes and ears - all knew that a trio of Henderson, Valencia touring guitarist Trevor Leonard and Fun. percussionist Will Noon would create songs as pleasing as imaginable. Soon after, "Wasting Time" came along, immediately proving our hopes true and displaying a cohesiveness reserved for the most veteran of bands. Henderson's songwriting has always been heralded, and Leonard only amplifies that talent - for every note in Shane's signature range, Trevor has a pitch-perfect harmony, as if their voices were meant to be heard together. Add Noon's tasteful drummery to the mix and you've got some real aptitude available for new sounds.

As true of his entire career, no one record from Henderson's catalog adequately describes the latest offering - think Valencia's We All Need A Reason To Believe, but bigger, refined, and more memorable on a per-song basis. Opener "Wasting Time" is the quintessential track, yet "I Can Feel A Change" will win your heart only minutes later, and only "Can We Get Away" yanks lighters into the air. The EP's flow and the affection it inspires only serve as further evidence of Henderson's songwriting, which has again matured to a new level. Though he's penned some spectacular records, The Future Perfect may own Shane's most memorable sections, especially in the title track; as the vocalist delivers "So I left you a note that said I wish you well / said it was me, so don't blame yourself," listeners will feel familiar chills - the song caps off this release as well as We All Need A Reason To Believe's "Free." And after those fantastic 16 minutes? You'll just head back for another pass at the EP to examine the quality guitarwork, the melodic intricacies, the crisp percussion, and all the other details that make Control an essential listen.

Shane's back, and he's better than ever. With two great teammates, four great songs, and an army of great fans, it'd be surprising if The Future Perfect didn't catapult right to Valencia's beloved status, especially should their band name prove true. Take Control less as a resurfacing and more as a promising introduction to a bright and perfect...future.

8.5/10

Recommended If You LikeValencia, The Dangerous Summer, Jack's Mannequin

Additional InformationTrack list:
1. Wasting Time
2. I Can Feel A Change
3. Can We Get Away
4. Control

Shane Henderson and The Future Perfect is:
Shane Henderson: Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Keys, Programming
Trevor Leonard: Vocals, Guitar, Bass
Will Noon: Drums

Produced by Will Yip, Shane Henderson

Find Shane Henderson and The Future PerfectFacebook | Bandcamp | iTunes

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
06:34 AM on 01/08/13
iseejosh
Registered Member
User Info.
Change is a flawless song. Such a great EP
06:49 AM on 01/08/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I love this EP and I've already listened to it six times this morning but I know that there is some POR stuff that was recorded that I'd really really really love to hear eventually
07:52 AM on 01/08/13
carramrod2005
User Info.
Just got it off of Amazon. This is great so far. Dude has a killer voice
10:05 AM on 01/08/13
dmcaloon
www.facebook.com/The30thOfFebruary
User Info.
Sounds great. Good review, and I'm so down to give this a shot soon.
12:18 PM on 01/08/13
Something More
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Its an amazing EP. I am very hopeful for a full length from these three in the near future. Shane killed it. I really hope he finally gets the recognition he deserves!
12:41 PM on 01/08/13
mattstairs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Shane Henderson is one of the few sure things in music right now. I was a little conflicted about this project, because I saw its potential success as a roadblock to a Valencia reunion, but after listening to the EP, I'm excited to hear more from them.

There are some great hooks in Wasting Time and the title track. For me, Control (song) was love at first listen. The lyrics are a bit dull and another song or two would have been nice, but otherwise, they knocked it out of the park with this first release. Well done, Future Perfect.
05:17 PM on 01/08/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Pretty excited to check this out right now.
06:20 AM on 01/09/13
dany182
God Of War xD
User Info.
Quote:
Recommended If You Like
Valencia, The Dangerous Summer, Jack's Mannequin

holy fuck it hits all my buttons!
08:28 AM on 01/09/13
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
Great review. Just listened to this a couple of times. It's good, like really good. I didn't know the fun. drummer was in this!
10:09 AM on 01/09/13
Jared Luttrell
VA punk pop.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is fantastic.
12:04 PM on 01/09/13
ched zeppelin
I Can Get Back Up Now.
User Info.
I love Trevor!
02:14 PM on 01/12/13
GoodIdea
Is this love or is it just pure sin
User Info.
just picked it up...soo good!
05:27 PM on 01/12/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
got my doubts about this one

but I still really like all at once.
10:56 PM on 01/12/13
Kixur413
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Need some help with the lyrics to this EP, notably Wasting Time and I Can Feel A Change but if you see something amiss with any of them, feel free to point it out!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums