Username
Password

06:31 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
I'm sorry, T!
North Jersey
Male
I could have sworn a previous thread existed regarding this case but I could not find it. But yesterday, a federal judge ruled that a Texas school district can require students to wear locator chips while being on school property. The issue was first brought up in court because of the expulsion of sophomore Andrea Hernandez, who refused the chip citing violation of religious beliefs.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-school-f...021126100.html

It's interesting to see that both liberal and conservative groups are opposed to the use of the chips.

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - A public school district in Texas can require students to wear locator chips when they are on school property, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday in a case raising technology-driven privacy concerns among liberal and conservative groups alike. U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia said the San Antonio Northside School District had the right to expel sophomore Andrea Hernandez, 15, from a magnet school at Jay High School, because she refused to wear the device, which is required of all students.
The judge refused the student's request to block the district from removing her from the school while the case works its way through the federal courts.
The American Civil Liberties Union is among the rights organizations to oppose the district's use of radio frequency identification, or RFID, technology.
"We don't want to see this kind of intrusive surveillance infrastructure gain inroads into our culture," ACLU senior policy analyst Jay Stanley said. "We should not be teaching our children to accept such an intrusive surveillance technology."
The district's RFID policy has also been criticized by conservatives, who call it an example of "big government" further monitoring individuals and eroding their liberties and privacy rights.
The Rutherford Institute, a conservative Virginia-based policy center that represented Hernandez in her federal court case, said the ruling violated the student's constitutional right to privacy, and vowed to appeal.
The school district - the fourth largest in Texas with about 100,000 students - is not attempting to track or regulate students' activities, or spy on them, district spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said. Northside is using the technology to locate students who are in the school building but not in the classroom when the morning bell rings, he said.
Texas law counts a student present for purposes of distributing state aid to education funds based on the number of pupils in the classroom at the start of the day. Northside said it was losing $1.7 million a year due to students loitering in the stairwells or chatting in the hallways.
The software works only within the walls of the school building, cannot track the movements of students, and does not allow students to be monitored by third parties, Gonzalez said.
The ruling gave Hernandez and her father, an outspoken opponent of the use of RFID technology, until the start of the spring semester later this month to decide whether to accept district policy and remain at the magnet school or return to her home campus, where RFID chips are not required.
06:53 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
There was definitely a thread about this before, but I couldn't it either
07:40 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I couldn't find it either.
07:41 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Wow, that's pretty messed up
07:53 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I found this thread, but it isn't the one we are thinking of
08:35 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Went back to 2008 and saw nothing. Got bored looking.
08:38 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
NewAgeofHorus
Great Barrier Reef
Male - 22 Years Old
I posted one in October. I think it merged with the old conspiracy thread?
08:21 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
more heart
Get Hurt
Poughkeepsie, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Why would a school district need to know the location of a student for such a small period of time in the day? It's definitely intrusive, but I could see a logical argument if these chips served a useful purpose, however, they don't.
08:23 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I posted one in October. I think it merged with the old conspiracy thread?

This may be the case.
08:36 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
TK
Abstract Thinker
Oklahoma
Male - 23 Years Old
Ridiculous.

I highly doubt anyone outside a few idiots would agree with this.
08:39 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
Nice to see something we can all get behind.
08:46 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
I'm sorry, T!
North Jersey
Male
Only in Texas where liberal darkness reigns supreme. I'm sure Governor Rick Perry (whom I am unaware of his political affiliation) probably supports this Big Brother intrusion.
08:46 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I don't really care either way.

I can see why people think ti's intrusive.

I can see why it would be a good idea to know where the students are while on school grounds at all times.
09:46 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
I like how she refused to wear the chip, not because it extremely violates privacy rights and degrades human beings to animal status, but for religious beliefs. I don't think the bible says "thou shalt not where locator chips."
09:48 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
Scotus, here we come.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music