Other 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

10:53 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I think doing a weekly discussion could be fun. I'll try and post a new one every Monday (hence the date I used in the thread title). If you have an idea for a weekly discussion topic, post it in the General Politics Forum

To get things started, Sean (CaveBear) brought this up... What is the most powerful branch of Government? When the topic was suggested: I immediately thought of this quote from Andrew Jackson regarding the case of Worcester v. Georgia

Quote:
In a popular quotation, President Andrew Jackson is supposed to have said: "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it!". This derives from Jackson's consideration on the case in a letter to John Coffee, "...the decision of the Supreme Court has fell still born, and they find that they cannot coerce Georgia to yield to its mandate," (that is, the Court's opinion was moot because it had no power to enforce its edict).

So what is it? The Legislative, Executive or Judicial? Anyone wanna argue a curveball like the mainstream media?
11:10 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Baloney and beans
Connecticut
Male
I'm not an expert on the three branches, but regarding recent examples like the ACA, it seems like the judicial branch has more power. The legislative branch passed it into law, but when it was presented before the Supreme Court last summer, it could have been struck down and repealed, but instead it was ruled as the law of the land.

Edit: but then again, if Romney was elected president, could he have the power to repeal the ACA? Again, I'm not an expert so feel free to correct me or state the legal possibilities if say Romney was elected president regarding ACA.
11:11 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm not an expert on the three branches, but regarding recent examples like the ACA, it seems like the judicial branch has more power. The legislative branch passed it into law, but when it was presented before the Supreme Court last summer, it could have been struck down and repealed, but instead it was ruled as the law of the land.

But there have been 30 some odd attempts from the Legislative to repeal the Court's decision. So if they successfully repealed it, wouldn't you be singing a different tune?
11:13 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Baloney and beans
Connecticut
Male
But there have been 30 some odd attempts from the Legislative to repeal the Court's decision. So if they successfully repealed it, wouldn't you be singing a different tune?

see my edit.
11:15 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old

All Romney could do was propose the repeal. He couldn't just do it. And it would have passed the house and not passed the Senate. So no, I don't think a President Romney could have forced a repeal.
12:16 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
6-5, still in it baby!
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
imo the judiciary

protecting the rights of the minority is a huge reason for my opinion
12:45 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
knash9
Registered Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 20 Years Old
I'm going to argue legislative, to change it up. I could quote Hamilton but I'm on mobile.

The judicial can't actively do anything. It can only restrain the other two branchs. Legislative is harder to control and that's what gives it it's power. It also faces less public scrutiny than the executive.

Should be fun discussion.
12:59 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm going to argue legislative, to change it up. I could quote Hamilton but I'm on mobile.

The judicial can't actively do anything. It can only restrain the other two branchs. Legislative is harder to control and that's what gives it it's power. It also faces less public scrutiny than the executive.

Should be fun discussion.

Those are very good points.
01:09 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
knash9
Registered Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 20 Years Old
Those are very good points.

Hamilton called the judicial branch the "least dangerous branch"
01:11 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
I'm voting executive branch because according to CNN and Biden, Obama is going to "act alone" to take away our guns.
01:14 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm voting executive branch because according to CNN and Biden, Obama is going to "act alone" to take away our guns.

There's that....and the whole Libya/Drones over Baghdad stuff.
01:37 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
Executive has the most powerful individuals, but they can only use that power if the Legislative will let them. Woo for checks and balances.
01:39 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Executive has the most powerful individuals, but they can only use that power if the Legislative will let them. Woo for checks and balances.

I ask again about Libya.
01:41 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
knash9
Registered Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 20 Years Old
Foreign policy is a really good point.
01:47 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
LGJ
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Foreign policy is a really good point.

It's not like Libya is the only example available. And that costs money and lives. That's a big deal.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos