AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Veronica Falls - Waiting For Something To... Album Cover

Veronica Falls - Waiting For Something To...

Reviewed by
Veronica Falls - Waiting For Something To Happen
Record Label: Bella Union
Release Date: February 4, 2013
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Some albums are designed to make an emotional impact on the listener, they exist to soundtrack the tears, heartache, the pain of life. They work as a comfort blanket of sorts and are there to make the cold seem that warmer. Other albums are there to evoke emotions, to send the listener back to an era that they may or may not actually know and to change your surroundings to something a lot better than it actually may be. Veronica Falls’ Waiting For Something To Happen fits in the second category. The London indie-poppers’ second album is a fun, upbeat record drenched in nostalgia and is perfect for sleepy summer afternoons busy with the air of doing nothing.

A somewhat accurate description of Veronica Falls is that they sound like what would happen if someone threw Belle & Sebastian, Real Estate and HAIM into a TARDIS and they came out in the 70s and created a supergroup. Waiting For Something To Happen is filled with poppy, head-bop inspiring songs that channel more than a bit of Real Estate’s surf-pop revival sound with soft female vocals to top it all off. No part of the album is too rapturous or too exciting and no track is in a rush. Opening track “Tell Me”, strangely enough one of the worse tracks on the release with its somewhat bland feel, starts off the album with a sleepy repetitive melody and sweet female/male vocals and it doesn’t get much more riotous from then on. Whether it’s absolutely wonderful second track, “Teenage” or title track “Waiting For Something To Happen”, every song serves the purpose of chilling the hell out and making summer last all year round.

Aside from the overall atmosphere of the album, most of the time, Veronica Falls are spot on with their songwriting. The aforementioned “Teenage” is brilliant and could easily become a staple of indie stations around the world. The male/female vocals are done perfectly, they defy the intertwining vocals usually done by bands choosing to utilize gender juxtaposition and choose instead to build up a highly effective wall of vocals, giving the track a somewhat anthemic feel. The loose jangly guitars and simple but catchy lyrics are so incredibly likable, it’s hard to not feel incredibly happy whilst listening to it. This can be said for most of the album. “Broken Toy”, “Waiting For Something To Happen” and “My Heart Beats” are all along these lines and are delightfully catchy tracks that hook the listener with their simple tales of young love and and easy air.

Where Waiting For Something To Happen falls down though, is when it is treated entirely as an album rather than a collection of songs. Although the entire album has a common theme, a common air, it’s all a bit too similar when taken in one sitting. Each track on its own has the potential to be a highlight, however if Veronica Falls diversified a little more the album would be so much better, as often tracks run into one another, and the record becomes little more than background music. This is a disservice to Veronica Falls as they are clearly a talented band with songs that speak for themselves, but in future Veronica Falls might need change things up a little bit if they want establish themselves as a mainstay of the genre. Here’s looking forward to record number three.

Recommended If You LikeReal Estate; Wild Nothing; Dum Dum Girls; being hazily happy

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Tell Me
2. Teenage
3. Broken Toy
4. Shooting Star
5. Waiting For Something To Happen
6. If You Still Want Me
7. My Heart Beats
8. Everybody's Changing
9. Buried Alive
10. Falling Out
11. So Tired
12. Daniel
13. Last Conversation

Band Members
Roxanne Clifford
James Hoare
Marion Herbain
Patrick Doyle

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
11:31 AM on 01/14/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I seriously love this album and yeah Kelly we basically like the same exact music. "Teenage" is the catchiest song of all time

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos