loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
There are 23 Executive Orders:

Quote:
Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions
Today, the President is announcing that he and the Administration will:
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities. 18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

And the 10 major items being pushed.

Quote:
* Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.
* Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system.
* Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.
* Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.
* Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.
* Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.
* End the freeze on gun violence research.
* Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.
* Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.
* Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.

You can read about the proposals in this document
09:23 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
There should not be any outrage from the right about any of those.
09:26 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
I agree with Jason. These all seem very common sense to me.
09:28 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
Connecticut
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member
Yeah, I dunno. Seems pretty safe.

Except for the assault weapons/high capacity ban, which I expect there to be an absolute uproar over.
09:30 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Yeah, I dunno. Seems pretty safe.

Except for the assault weapons/high capacity ban, which I expect there to be an absolute uproar over.

There isn't a single reason in the world why someone needs an assault weapon. Absolutely none.
09:32 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
King of Swing
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 21 Years Old
Good.
09:34 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
Connecticut
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member
There isn't a single reason in the world why someone needs an assault weapon. Absolutely none.

Oh I agree. But seeing the way that gun advocates have been gearing up, I can't imagine it going over well with them. I also expect to hear more cries of tyranny because of the executive orders.
09:37 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Here's Obama's plans...

* Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.
* Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system.
* Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.
* Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.
* Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.
* Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.
* End the freeze on gun violence research.
* Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.
* Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.
* Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.

He lost me when he didn't make any sort of training or testing a requirement to receive a permit.

My take:

* Background check includes mental health history, history of behavioral medication prescriptions.
* Permits issued based on weapon purchased. You can't have a conceal carry for a gun that exceeds a 10 round limit
* Gun safety training as a requirement for a permit
* Additional training as a requirement for a conceal carry

I believe in the 2nd amendment and think that the right to bear arms is essential to a free society. But you should have to burn a few calories in order to legally carry a weapon in public.

Of course, any regulation is moot when you consider criminals do not typically follow the law.
09:38 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male

For sport, protection.

Do cops carry assault weapons?
09:41 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
Oh I agree. But seeing the way that gun advocates have been gearing up, I can't imagine it going over well with them. I also expect to hear more cries of tyranny because of the executive orders.

There shouldn't be.

09:41 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
LLLOOOYYYDDD!!!!!!!
Hollywood
Male
For sport, protection.

I think Ryan meant private citizens owning assault weapons.
09:42 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
loveisdead
Go Peyton Go
Long Island
Male - 27 Years Old
For sport, protection.

No. You do not need an assault weapon for either of those things. What sport do you need an assault weapon for? These aren't fucking toys and I'm sick of people treating them as such. Defenders of these things sounds like whiny brats who just got grounded and had their toys taken away.
09:43 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I think Ryan meant private citizens owning assault weapons.

I know, it was a rhetorical question.
09:43 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
And I hope this is just a first step. I believe it should be as hard to get a gun as it is to get a pilot licence.
09:44 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
No. You do not need an assault weapon for either of those things. What sport do you need an assault weapon for? These aren't fucking toys and I'm sick of people treating them as such. Defenders of these things sounds like whiny brats who just got grounded and had their toys taken away.

So tell why a cop would need an assault weapon, but a private citizen does not?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets