Here's Obama's plans...
* Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.
* Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system.
* Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.
* Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.
* Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.
* Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.
* End the freeze on gun violence research.
* Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.
* Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.
* Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.
He lost me when he didn't make any sort of training or testing a requirement to receive a permit.
* Background check includes mental health history, history of behavioral medication prescriptions.
* Permits issued based on weapon purchased. You can't have a conceal carry for a gun that exceeds a 10 round limit
* Gun safety training as a requirement for a permit
* Additional training as a requirement for a conceal carry
I believe in the 2nd amendment and think that the right to bear arms is essential to a free society. But you should have to burn a few calories in order to legally carry a weapon in public.
Of course, any regulation is moot when you consider criminals do not typically follow the law.