Username
Password

02:36 PM on 01/15/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
I'm currently hunting for something temporary post grad while I decide whether or not I want to go to grad. school -- I've gone into two different agencies and have been told they'd contact me if something that felt like a fit came up. I haven't heard back..

Has anyone had good positive feedback from staffing agencies? Any other good places to look for potential jobs that aren't scams?
06:11 PM on 01/15/13 
User Info.
seventwenty3
Boca,Florida
Male - 24 Years Old
I went to a place called personnel one her in Florida. I had a call right away, but denied it due to having a job lined up already. That same place found my mom a temp to hire position. If they have place near you then do it. Otherwise I suggest looking into substitute teaching, or being a cam girl. Both are part time and decent money. (only one of those are serious, you decide.)
08:55 PM on 01/15/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
I went to a place called personnel one her in Florida. I had a call right away, but denied it due to having a job lined up already. That same place found my mom a temp to hire position. If they have place near you then do it. Otherwise I suggest looking into substitute teaching, or being a cam girl. Both are part time and decent money. (only one of those are serious, you decide.)

the shitty thing about substitute teaching in Minnesota is that they require you to have a teaching license.... why wouldn't you just be a teacher?!
06:10 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
What you should be doing is applying to a few more different agencies. I would say 1 out of 4 would actually call me back. One time was unexpectedly temporary because as soon as I went to work like a week later the company (that I was assigned to) got bought out. Another time I ended up with my assigned company for 4 years until they relocated to Seattle. The branch here still calls me to work for them doing other things.

Then I had two friends get a job at the same company through the same agency, and after about 8 months one got hired and one got released.

So, it's all over the place with how they work out. Like I said, I think the most frustrating thing is when you only apply to one agency and they never call you. Submit to a few.
07:23 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
seventwenty3
Boca,Florida
Male - 24 Years Old
the shitty thing about substitute teaching in Minnesota is that they require you to have a teaching license.... why wouldn't you just be a teacher?!

Oh, here we just have to have 30-120 credit hours in college depending on the county. That's super weird, I don't get why anyone would choose to be a sub if they could teach and have steady salary.
09:26 AM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
Palatine, IL
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm currently hunting for something temporary post grad while I decide whether or not I want to go to grad. school -- I've gone into two different agencies and have been told they'd contact me if something that felt like a fit came up. I haven't heard back..

Has anyone had good positive feedback from staffing agencies? Any other good places to look for potential jobs that aren't scams?

I have had real bad experiences with staffing agencies. I have met with 5 companies in person and none have been able to line me up with a job despite having a college degree and 4 years experience in my industry. 3 of the companies never contacted me back even though I called them and emailed them once a week for a month. I even sent them job listings that I was interested in to see if they had any relationship with those companies. One of them responded to me saying they were still looking. The final one said they would pass along my resume to two companies. After two weeks I called them up and they said both companies weren't interested. It has been almost 4 months and out of 5 companies I have had 0 interviews. Thankfully I have a full time position so I'm not fretting, just pissed at their lack of help. What I have heard from friends and read online is that many staffing agencies are just looking to get information off your resume and from your interviews for them to build up their clientele. They will contact your current employer and tell them they had an employee contact them about leaving and they could help fill the position. Really shady shit.
10:45 AM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
pinkfrosty
Does not give a fuck
DC
Male - 28 Years Old
You really gotta stay on the ball if you're trying to get work through a recruiter. Most of them are really only concerned with filling whatever requirements their client has (say, interview X amount of canidates a week). Depending on their business model, actually putting you into a good position with a compnay may not really be their priority. But if you find a good one they can be really helpful in your search. Just ask a lot of question when you talk to them, if they're not wiling to tell you anything about the job or they just ask general questions about you then they're wasting your time. Good luck with the search.
02:24 PM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
I have had real bad experiences with staffing agencies. I have met with 5 companies in person and none have been able to line me up with a job despite having a college degree and 4 years experience in my industry. 3 of the companies never contacted me back even though I called them and emailed them once a week for a month. I even sent them job listings that I was interested in to see if they had any relationship with those companies. One of them responded to me saying they were still looking. The final one said they would pass along my resume to two companies. After two weeks I called them up and they said both companies weren't interested. It has been almost 4 months and out of 5 companies I have had 0 interviews. Thankfully I have a full time position so I'm not fretting, just pissed at their lack of help. What I have heard from friends and read online is that many staffing agencies are just looking to get information off your resume and from your interviews for them to build up their clientele. They will contact your current employer and tell them they had an employee contact them about leaving and they could help fill the position. Really shady shit.

That's really stupid, but I wouldn't put it past some. Other than major national companies like Aerotek or AppleOne, there are some really ghetto agencies all over the place that would probably pull shit like that. I always steered clear.

Also, you know having a major degree is actually a bad thing for an agency. All of their positions are entry-level, you're too overqualified and it's a risk because they know you'll leave for a higher, more qualified position when you find it. That and you're worth more than they can pay you, they'd rather give it to some new person who doesn't know what they should actually be getting paid.
06:38 PM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee
Male - 24 Years Old
My sister is a regional manager at Aerotek so I can usually get a temp job if I need one. I've heard from other people that dealing with staffing companies can be a hassle though, so I couldn't really say which one to go with.
09:42 PM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
My sister is a regional manager at Aerotek so I can usually get a temp job if I need one. I've heard from other people that dealing with staffing companies can be a hassle though, so I couldn't really say which one to go with.

one of the agencies I'm going through is Aerotek... and honestly they've been really great so far. They've contacted me once a week to check in and see how things were going and if I was still looking for work... compared to the other two I've used so far they seem to be the best... I just hope they can find me something.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos