AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sweatshirt Weather - Translations EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9.17
Lyrics 8.33
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.67
Reviewer Tilt 8.92
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

Sweatshirt Weather - Translations EP

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (01/14/13)
Sweatshirt Weather - Translations EP
Record Label: None
Release Date: January 14, 2013

Sweatshirt Weather have shown extreme promise with both of their EPs: With High Hopes and Getting By. Their ability to create an infectiously simple pop-rock melody deserves every compliment. However, there is always something about a stripped down, acoustic track that really perks up my ears, which is exactly why I'd argue Translations is the band's best EP yet. Made up of two new tracks, three acoustic renditions of old songs, and a SoCo cover, this EP offers something for all fans new and old.

The lush pluck of guitar strings that begins "Sunrise" really sets the mood for the entire EP. The acoustic environment allows Chris Stewart's voice to a have a more raw, natural feel to it throughout the track, while the call-and-return efforts of Stewart and Daniel Inskeep really add to the opener even more – their singing of "She said this time around / I'll get what I deserve" alone sets this track apart from any of Sweatshirt Weather’s previous numbers.

The acoustic versions of each older song seem to entirely outshine the original cuts. "Be Someone" really shows the growing musicianship of the band, with Chad Kulaga switching from his normal position on bass to lead guitar in excellent fashion. His intricate strumming pattern and knowledge of the fret board gives the chorus the extra pop it needs. On the other hand, the stripped down "Maybe We'll Make It Summer" further highlights the skill of each vocalist, with Stewart and Inskeep each adding his own touch to the song at various points.

Now, covering a McMahon song as a pop band is like walking on thin ice, but Sweatshirt Weather do "Watch the Sky" ideal justice, nonetheless. The piano is still there, but rather than the expected buzzing palm mutes and bass line, the band employs an acoustic guitar, giving the track a different kind of emotion and poignancy. When Stewart croons, "And I will crawl / There's things that aren't worth giving up I know / But I won't let this get me / I will fight" as the guitars cut in, his passion builds and reaches its zenith, making me nod in approval of this take on the classic SoCo song.

With hopes that a proper full length is in the works for Sweatshirt Weather, this EP again proves that third time is the charm for these guys. It seems they can do no wrong. Not even a month into 2013 and Translations has already made Sweatshirt Weather a band to definitely keep an eye on for the rest of this year.

7.5/10

Recommended If You LikeSomething Corporate; Hit The Lights; acoustic renditions

Additonal InformationTrack Listing:
1. Sunrise (New)
2. Make We'll Make It Summer (from With High Hopes
3. Be Someone (from Getting By)
4. Watch the Sky (Something Corporate Cover)
5. Midwestern Love (from Getting By)
6. Sleepy Eyes (New)

Sweatshirt Weather is:
Chris Stewart – Vocals, Guitar, Keys
Daniel Inskeep – Guitar, Keys, Vocals
Nate Adams – Drums
Chad Kulaga – Bass, Guitar

Website

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
08:10 PM on 01/14/13
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
First review written from my iPad
08:50 AM on 01/15/13
Furious D
User Info.
Nice man. Really solid review. Definitely gonna have to check this out!
08:55 AM on 01/15/13
tottivillarossi
rockfreaks.net
User Info.
I bet it was a bitch with the auto-correct.
09:09 AM on 01/15/13
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
I bet it was a bitch with the auto-correct.
Pages actually works pretty well
09:14 AM on 01/15/13
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Great review. The EP is awesome.
06:43 AM on 01/19/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
I thought it was Sweater Weather and got excited Checked this out though and I'm happy again.
12:29 PM on 01/19/13
Drock88
trashthedressmusic.bandca mp.com
User Info.
Uh oh, a song called "Sleepy Eyes" huh? Real Friends better not find out about that........lol
03:24 PM on 01/20/13
luckisoverrated
So is breakfast food.
User Info.
I always like your reviews. Interested in new material from these guys - I remember With High Hopes being really good. Dude has a great voice - the HTL rec is spot on.
12:07 AM on 02/10/13
phayn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
After listening to a few songs off this album I just had to buy it. Also love the band name...favorite time of the year is hoodie weather
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests