Password

Album Review

Yo La Tengo - Fade Album Cover

Yo La Tengo - Fade

Reviewed by
Yo La Tengo - Fade
Record Label: Matador Records
Release Date: January 15, 2013
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
It’s been four long years since Yo La Tengo last blessed the listening public with the wonderful Popular Songs, twelve tracks of somewhat epic, somewhat melancholic, always experimental indie rock that boosted them head and shoulders above their peers in bands such as Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr who, in that particular year, appeared to have settled for audience pleasing rather than evolving. Yo La Tengo simply refuses to accommodate what their audience may be looking for, and despite nearing their thirtieth year as a band, they show no signs of stopping. Fade is the New Jersey band’s thirteenth album and is, yet again, another lesson in how to write an indie rock record.

Throughout the ten tracks of the release, one encounters orchestral epicness, anthemic stylings, intimate acoustics and basically, an alternative universe. Fade is the type of album that wraps the listener up in a warm blanket before guiding you into the sweetest of dreams. Whether it’s the catchy psychedelia of opener “Ohm”, the extremely intimate, quiet folk of “I’ll Be Around” or the ambient relaxation of “Two Trains”, Fade is escapist music that blocks out the world around and presents the listener with a wonderful existence.

Never does the album get boring, or overstay its welcome. Whilst intelligent indie rock is the order of the day, Yo La Tengo never shy away from a straight up pop song. "Is That Enough" is a Belle & Sebastian-esque old school pop song which has just enough sugar to make it catchy as hell but all with a mellow tint. Technically speaking, the album is excellently executed. Kaplan's vocals are just as pleasant and distinctive as ever before. The instrumentation shows perfect restraint with the band knowing exactly how much reservation and pomp is needed. Overall, this is the sound of a band at the top of their game.

Fade is an album that will delight all of Yo La Tengo’s long term fans but can also gain the band a whole new generation of listeners. The record shows that Yo La Tengo have no intentions of giving up the game and certainly have enough in them to write the best albums of their career, and from where I'm listening, Fade is certainly one of the best.

Recommended If You LikeBelle & Sebastian; Pavement; escaping

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Ohm
2. Is That Enough
3. Well You Better
4. Paddle Forward
5. Stupid Things
6. I'll Be Around
7. Cornelia And Jane
8. Two Trains
9. The Point Of It
10. Before We Run

Band Members
Georgia Hubley
Ira Kaplan
James McNew

8.7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
05:12 PM on 01/20/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Still haven't listened but must get to it soon. Pretty sure I remember a sentence in Our Band Could Be Your Life in which one of the bands played a show and Ira was the sound guy for the gig. Would have been the early-80s. These guys have been around the scene basically from the beginning and are still going strong.
09:18 AM on 01/21/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
This album is so beautiful. I could listen to "I'll Be Around" all day
05:48 PM on 01/21/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I love this album. Might be a top 20 release for me when 2013 is all said and done.
08:42 AM on 01/28/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
This is so, so good. I'm seeing them tomorrow and could not be more excited
08:44 AM on 01/28/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
I gotta take issue with this though, especially as it pertains to Dino Jr. because c'mon Farm fucking rules.

Quote:
It’s been four long years since Yo La Tengo last blessed the listening public with the wonderful Popular Songs, twelve tracks of somewhat epic, somewhat melancholic, always experimental indie rock that boosted them head and shoulders above their peers in bands such as Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr who, in that particular year, appeared to have settled for audience pleasing rather than evolving.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos