Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

The Countdown: Top 5 Tegan and Sara Music Videos

Posted by: Drew Beringer (01/27/13)
Today we are introducing a recurring new feature on the site titled "The Countdown" in which a staff member dishes out a list about anything music-related. I know that sounds kind of vague, but just stay with me. In recognition of Tegan and Sara's new album Heartthrob hitting stores tomorrow, I'm listing my 5 favorite videos from the duo. Over the last decade-plus, the Quin sisters' videos have emphasized rich color palettes and unique styles. The visual compliment is an essential ingredient to Tegan and Sara's music, often taking it to another level (also check out the evolution of their hair styles!). So, please enjoy my five favorite videos from the band. And feel free to comment on whether you agree or disagree with me while giving us your favorite T&S videos as well.

5) "On Directing"
NoteThis might be the most underrated Tegan and Sara video but it's definitely the most visually stimulating of the bunch. The video effects become more striking and fierce as the song heats up, resulting in fantastic silhouettes outlined by dazzling, vibrant colors. Pretty straightforward video, but man is it stunning.

4) "Back In Your Head"
NotePlaying in what seems to be a factory void of individuality, the balaclava-dressed crowd sways back and forth like zombies to the catchy piano keys of "Back In Your Head." There's an understated eeriness in this video and an overall theme of escape throughout the catchy video. And those color-changing balaclavas are really cool.

3) "Closer"
NoteI mean, of course this video was gonna be on the list - it's way too fun to keep off. "Closer" is the first single to be released off the band's new album Heartthrob and the overall vision of it just fits in with the lyrical content so well. Really, this is exactly the kind of party the sisters would throw on a Saturday night - karaoke, balloons, jumping on trampolines, it has it all.

2) "Call It Off"
NoteA simple video with very little to it (multiple telephone chords and Tegan and Sara dressed in all white), but oh so effective. Sometimes simplicity is the route to go with a song as emotionally heavy as "Call It Off." Again, the colors pop out in this video, as the multicolored chords tied up around the all-white wardrobe of Tegan result in a very beautiful image.

1) "Hell"
NoteUndoubtedly the strangest video from Tegan and Sara, it's also my favorite. The old hotel rooms, the musty color palette, and creepy full-body suit (is that a bonnet covering its entire face?) gives the video a weird, retro eerie vibe. The different cut-out boards Tegan and Sara use throughout is meant to project a likeness of yourself that may be inaccurate; something you'd use to attract someone who is looking for something different from the real 'you.' It has a cinematic feel to it unlike any of their other videos.

And how about one more for the road...

"Speak Slow"
NoteI had to include this as a wild card pick because it was the first Tegan and Sara video I ever saw (in an American Eagle no less) and it was what got me instantly hooked. It's not the band's best video, but hell it looks like they had a blast shooting it.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
06:45 AM on 01/28/13
jasonmeowz
Infinitycat
User Info.
closer?, really? a dumb, boring its been done before 732423874 times video.
06:46 AM on 01/28/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I will now wait all day for 732423874 examples.
06:52 AM on 01/28/13
blinkeatworld
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This feature is so Rob Fleming.
07:05 AM on 01/28/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
I was hoping you'd include "Call It Off", even though it's really simple. I know this doesn't technically count, but the video they did for the Morgan Page song "Body Work" was really great too.
07:08 AM on 01/28/13
georgedcc
User Info.
Don't really care about videos, but I remember thinking the On Directing video was nice when their two heads are juxtaposed over each other and all the colours look nice.

Old-school T & S, when they looked vaguely intimidating:

07:13 AM on 01/28/13
georgedcc
User Info.
Just watched the Hell video for the first time. Tegan's hair is ludicrous.
07:14 AM on 01/28/13
ClintMontgomery
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What is this, High Fidelity?
07:15 AM on 01/28/13
Penguin
@PenguinGengar
User Info.
Hell is my favorite too! I probably would've put "Alligator" on the list, but they have a lot of videos, so a list like that is hard to make, haha.
07:16 AM on 01/28/13
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
Don't really care about videos, but I remember thinking the On Directing video was nice when their two heads are juxtaposed over each other and all the colours look nice.

Old-school T & S, when they looked vaguely intimidating:

wow, they look different... in a bad way.
07:17 AM on 01/28/13
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
Just watched the Hell video for the first time. Tegan's hair is ludicrous.
i think she was channeling Tin-Tin in that video. haha
07:18 AM on 01/28/13
georgedcc
User Info.
wow, they look different... in a bad way.
07:19 AM on 01/28/13
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
.... i don't like it!
07:52 AM on 01/28/13
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
I was wondering why "Alligator" wasn't on this on this list. Then I watched it and remembered how ridiculous the choreography is.
08:05 AM on 01/28/13
Steviep413
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I don't even need that many examples. But lets see if you can even think of 5. Don't think to hard I don't want you hurting yourself.

Anyways call it off is one of my favorite TaS songs along with walking with a ghost. So naturally call it off is my favorite video.

Great post, also I can't wait for tomorrow :). I've been good and haven't listened to any if the songs off heartthrob yet. Can't wait
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests