David O. Russell for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

09:27 AM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
Who do you think SHOULD win Best Director at the 85th Academy Awards?
10:00 AM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
Raynham, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
Spielberg because Affleck was robbed!
12:06 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
spaghettti
spo0ky
Westfield, MA
Female - 20 Years Old
Between Spielberg and Russel, but I went Spielberg.
12:12 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
Leos Carax made the best film of this year. Miguel Gomes would be a close second.
12:19 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
It is redundant to have a Best Director category at all, however. You wouldn't have Best Book and Best Novelist or Best Painting and Best Artist.
12:21 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
Los Angeles
Male
Kathryn Bigelow ZDT
12:49 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
It is redundant to have a Best Director category at all, however. You wouldn't have Best Book and Best Novelist or Best Painting and Best Artist.
That's ridiculous. Filmmaking is entirely a collaborative process, where painting and writing are much more solo ventures.
01:48 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
That's ridiculous. Filmmaking is entirely a collaborative process, where painting and writing are much more solo ventures.

Not really. The impact of the editor, cinematographer, and writer is felt, but it is secondary to the direction. Of course, many directors write and some edit and shoot their film.

You can't say a good film has bad direction or a bad film has good direction. If it is the best film of the year, it is the director's responsibility. Same if it is bad.
04:23 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
ImTheSheriff
///
Male - 25 Years Old
none
06:34 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
Detroit, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
Not really. The impact of the editor, cinematographer, and writer is felt, but it is secondary to the direction. Of course, many directors write and some edit and shoot their film.

You can't say a good film has bad direction or a bad film has good direction. If it is the best film of the year, it is the director's responsibility. Same if it is bad.

Disagreed. The collaboration weighs more than you're implying.
06:40 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
lol those are really the choices for best director?
07:14 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
Disagreed. The collaboration weighs more than you're implying.

Then what is it, then? How about you tell me your favorite film of 2012 and who you thought was the best director, and what the difference is.
07:23 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
Detroit, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
Then what is it, then? How about you tell me your favorite film of 2012 and who you thought was the best director, and what the difference is.

My personal preferences aside, I'd offer up George Lucas and Tom Hooper as directors who have benefited from collaboration.

I see what you're saying and understand that position, but the film doesn't begin and end with the director. Look at it this way: Direction is a very large part of making a film. Cinematography, writing, acting, sound, editing, etc. are all also part of that equation. To what degree is debatable, but what isn't changed is that all of those factors together make a film. I would say the best film of the year is the one that gets the best out of all those categories together. The director who did the best job can be separate.

Tom Brady can throw for 4000 yards and 40 touchdowns in a season and be the best quarterback that year, but the Patriots might not be the best team, even if he was a hugely positive influence on the overall performance (not a perfect comparison but close to the point I'm trying to make)
07:31 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
Anaheim,California
Male - 20 Years Old
Bigelow. Robbed.
07:33 PM on 01/30/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
My personal preferences aside, I'd offer up George Lucas and Tom Hooper as directors who have benefited from collaboration.

I see what you're saying and understand that position, but the film doesn't begin and end with the director. Look at it this way: Direction is a very large part of making a film. Cinematography, writing, acting, sound, editing, etc. are all also part of that equation. To what degree is debatable, but what isn't changed is that all of those factors together make a film. I would say the best film of the year is the one that gets the best out of all those categories together. The director who did the best job can be separate.

Tom Brady can throw for 4000 yards and 40 touchdowns in a season and be the best quarterback that year, but the Patriots might not be the best team, even if he was a hugely positive influence on the overall performance (not a perfect comparison but close to the point I'm trying to make)

I would rather not watch or re-watch any film by either Lucas or Hooper, so I can't agree that collaboration made their films better. I have found them all questionable.

You used a quarterback as an example. I would use a head coach and stick with the same team. The team has dramatically overhauled its roster since Belichick has become the coach, but they consistently rank as one of the best teams in the league. I am sure you would be quick to point out that Brady has always been the constant, but even in his injured year they went 11-5, a feat few teams accomplish each year. Conversely, we have seen great players leave a coach and fail to repeat their success elsewhere. Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb looked great in Philadelphia and flamed out elsewhere, while Vick looked like a good quarterback for a few years before it all fell apart.

You can see the influences of smaller parts in films, to be sure. The dialogue of The Social Network was vastly different than what is usually in a Fincher film, thanks to a different writer. Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master was his first not to use the cinematographer Elswit and it had a different look. However, unless you are actually on the set of the shoot, there isn't a real way to say so and so film was directed better but some other film is better. Like the head coach or a CEO of a company, the director gets the credit or the blame.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos