AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Video News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Do You Prefer Listening to Music Live or Recorded?

Posted by - 04:32 PM on 01/30/13
PBS Idea Channel wonders if listening to a live performance is better than MP3/vinyl or is it the other way around? Watch it in the replies.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
04:32 PM on 01/30/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
05:18 PM on 01/30/13
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
mp3 is always better, but sometimes bands just like to improv jam during ending of songs which is always amazing. this has been a debate since the beginning of time.
05:46 PM on 01/30/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
The guy seems to really miss the point. You don't go to shows just to listen to the music. You go to shows to support the bands, sing along with other fans and experience the whole performance. But anyone who just wants to "hear the live music" can buy the dvd and get the same thing that way.

I mean like, 95% of live albums are vastly inferior to the studio versions. If you're just going to listen to music, you almost always want a studio recording. The reason people prefer live music is that it offers a better context to experience the music in, not that it actually sounds better.
05:57 PM on 01/30/13
SILYW
Canadian Mall Marriage 6000
User Info.
The guy seems to really miss the point. You don't go to shows just to listen to the music. You go to shows to support the bands, sing along with other fans and experience the whole performance. But anyone who just wants to "hear the live music" can buy the dvd and get the same thing that way.

I mean like, 95% of live albums are vastly inferior to the studio versions. If you're just going to listen to music, you almost always want a studio recording. The reason people prefer live music is that it offers a better context to experience the music in, not that it actually sounds better.

These are so true.

I'll add my bit too. I think that sometimes when you go to a live performance you may learn to appreciate songs you never particularly liked before just listening to on the studio recording.

Also depending on what type of person you are, you are going to judge whether they can actually create the atmosphere of the original recording live, and if not how they adapt it to work in a live environment.

So it all comes back to Clunky's point of the context in which you experience both live and recordings in, as altogether they are completely different.
06:22 PM on 01/30/13
bestofmoss
core
User Info.
Most live recordings are pretty cool to check out at first but have very little replay value. There are exceptions of course (see: Jesse Lacey live at the downtown, RCHP at Hyde Park, etc) but I generally prefer studio recordings.
07:25 PM on 01/30/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
Obviously, being at the show and witnessing the music being played is the best option, but I'll take a studio album over a live album any day.
07:28 PM on 01/30/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.

/thread
07:44 PM on 01/30/13
koopman
Espo
User Info.
To me music is about feeling, and by watching a live band more of your senses (visual) are being incorporated into the experience. Going to a live show has always made me appreciate the band more and feel more connected with the music. Anyone who would simply pass on a concert in favor of listening to the band on their ipod at home has probably never gone near a musical instrument before. Think about every awesome drum part you've ever heard... Don't you want to see who the fuck the dude pulls that off? I don't know about this dude, but I certainly do. I could however be biased as I am a drummer myself.
08:12 PM on 01/30/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I love seeing bands live and even watching DVDs, but I don't like listening albums.
08:21 PM on 01/30/13
jamesc7
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Gonna be hard for me to hear it with all these auto play video ads.
08:21 PM on 01/30/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Didn't watch the video, so I'm not completely sure what they talked about.

Studio versions obviously have more lasting value than Live recordings.

But, seeing an artist you love live is an overwhelming experience that you'll remember forever. Honestly the live show and the studio track are two totally different things, so they're hard to compare.
08:28 PM on 01/30/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I really hate live albums...they're so grating. If I wanted to hear live sound I'd go to a show. Otherwise, I'll just stick to recorded versions. I'll definitely watch this later.
08:41 PM on 01/30/13
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Most live albums are dubbed over in the studio anyways...
09:01 PM on 01/30/13
harveyn590
User Info.
mp3 is always better, but sometimes bands just like to improv jam during ending of songs which is always amazing. this has been a debate since the beginning of time.
wait ALWAYS better? Really?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version