Password

Album Review
This Old Ghost - Family Room Album Cover

This Old Ghost - Family Room

Reviewed by
This Old Ghost - Family Room
Release Date: January 22, 2013
Record Label: Unsigned
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
God almighty, it's so nice to be sitting here, listening to This Old Ghost sing a bunch of super sweet, super duper smart love songs. Their folksy mix of pleasant alt-rock (complete with dude/dudette harmonies!) is having, like, an effect on me. Enough of an effect that I'm writing this instead of watching Psych on netflix. So, yeah, big deal. The band's debut full-length, Family Room, comes roaring at you with youthful optimism, yes, but it's also, somewhat astoundingly, self-aware. Take opener, "26," for instance, which features lines as disparate as, "We're out of our minds and happy as sin / We're falling in love at the drop of a pin," and somehow this: "No we're not getting younger / Are you starting to wonder / If I've become jaded." So this record is real enough to realize that spending your nights looking up at the sky doesn't erase the real world you lay upon.

Maybe that's bad, sure. Maybe we like music because it can remove us from the crushing reality of whatever stupid situations we find ourselves. Breakup albums are cathartic because it doesn't matter what really happened: it's their fault. Muse albums are fun because, well, bad example. But I mean, This Old Ghost fall in love head over heels, and then spend a song trying to prove their point to an unsure lover ("Jumping Fences"). Or on closer "Emily Green," when the polar opposite worlds of carefree love and punishing heartache are smooshed together into a power-pop/90's Jimmy Eat World/fiddle-heavy opus. It's music just rickety enough to sound organic. And it's just isolated enough to be utterly enthralling.

You know that feeling you get when you read a really good autobiography? How it's so personal and so far away, and yet here you are grasping at every bit of minutiae that connects you and this stranger. Family Room has such a human quality. Perhaps it's due to how Ian McGuinness and Karri Diomede (who also plays the flute!!) mesh their voices into a sweetly high-pitched combo - when they do it right, however, like on "Dirt Road," they might as well be one person. It's how I wish every Forecast album could sound - scenesters don't have to be full of bullshit. "So tell me how you're gonna make a move / And not crawl inside yourself and play the recluse," McGuinness sings on "Hollowed Out," and it's so thoughtful you can't just sing along. You almost feel compelled to scrawl it on an old wooden desk or somewhere aptly important. God, a band that says something!

So I don't like this album. Haha, JK. Family Room is that necessary album I need at the beginning of each year that reminds me music can't let me down. Obsessed over, but not weighed down by the oh-so-tempting method of smothering its listeners, Family Room puts This Old Ghost in a position to become your go-to band for those days you're just lucid enough to accept the world as it is. Floating above can be nice, but sometimes being tethered to what's really here is the most wonderful feeling of all.

Recommended If You Like: The Forecast, River City Extension, Good Old War

Additional Info1. Twenty Six
2. Foreign Language
3. Jumping Fences
4. Faster and Faster
5. Hollowed Out
6. Bury the Hatchet
7. Shipwrecked
8. Black & White
9. Dirt Road
10. Lasso The Moon
11. Emily Green

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
11:24 PM on 01/30/13
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
This is a great band and an awesome album.
01:07 AM on 01/31/13
david_m
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
agreed,
07:40 AM on 01/31/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
This is a great band and an awesome album.
oh hey broseph!
08:47 AM on 01/31/13
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
When does this come out? I thought I read they just finished it.

Good review. Got me excited to hear it! Sometimes the slam-poetry wears me thin but it is catchy.
08:59 AM on 01/31/13
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I loved Island of Violent Lovers.. Had no idea that they had an LP coming out... Im stoked now! I thought they sounded like Good Old War, and Maps & Atlases unless their sound has changed.
09:12 AM on 01/31/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I loved Island of Violent Lovers.. Had no idea that they had an LP coming out... Im stoked now! I thought they sounded like Good Old War, and Maps & Atlases unless their sound has changed.

Good old.war is a really great comparison actually
09:13 AM on 01/31/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
When does this come out? I thought I read they just finished it.

Good review. Got me excited to hear it! Sometimes the slam-poetry wears me thin but it is catchy.

Its already out!
12:09 PM on 01/31/13
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this rules. thanks blake.
01:03 PM on 01/31/13
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Wow. Guess I was thinking of another band. I'll pick this up for sure.
01:33 PM on 01/31/13
JosephTown'send
User Info.
This is awesome.
02:51 PM on 01/31/13
OTMOP
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great album.
03:59 PM on 01/31/13
CarlFarbman
last.fm/user/CarlFarbman
User Info.
Fantastic album, going to score high on my 2013 list for sure. "Faster and Faster" is crazy good.

As others have mentioned - be sure to grab the EP they put out before this, its killer.
07:50 PM on 01/31/13
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
05:02 PM on 02/02/13
dreamagain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Glad to see this band getting a review/recognition. Super good album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos