Username
Password

04:36 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
Surprised I haven't heard much about this. Will definitely be interesting to see Reitman trying something different than dark comedy. And Tetra, please, just...don't.

Starring Josh Brolin, Kate Winslet, Tobey Maguire, James Van Der Beek, Clark Gregg.

Quote:
Depressed single mom Adele and her son Henry offer a wounded, fearsome man a ride. As police search town for the escaped convict, the mother and son gradually learn his true story as their options become increasingly limited.
04:43 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
And Tetra, please, just...don't..

Ha.

I will be seeing this, Reitman hasn't let me down yet.
04:49 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 26 Years Old
Seems like a solid, yet maybe unconventional cast.
05:55 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
joe.boy.fresh.
Registered Member
San Diego, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
VAN DER BEEK /sold
06:12 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
As long as he's not directing another Diablo Cody script, I'm in.
06:20 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
And Tetra, please, just...don't.

If I may quote from one of your favorite films, don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be.

I will assume that your trepidation about my posting is an indication to your own awareness of the poisonous nature of Jason Reitman. He smugly looks down on people who don't live in a major city or weren't born with the privileges he was (The portrayal of the the sister and her family in Up in the Air, the sneering at the hometown of the main character in Young Adult). This isn't even including the bizarre criticism of abortion in Juno and the shooting of fish in the barrel that was Thank You For Smoking.

Of course, given the poor reception of Young Adult, it seems that perhaps everyone else is seeing through him as well.
06:41 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
Whalejaw
Hi Mr. Meeseeks! I'm Mr. Meeseeks!
Dayton, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
07:04 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
jwicklun
Never forget.
San Francisco, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
Wasn't the point of Young Adult that the main character assumed a position that she was better than everyone else? I'm pretty sure the sneering was intentional.
07:17 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
And that Diablo Cody wrote it, not Jason Reitman...
07:24 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
Wasn't the point of Young Adult that the main character assumed a position that she was better than everyone else? I'm pretty sure the sneering was intentional.

Of course it was intentional. If things happened accidentally in the film, I would just accuse Reitman of being sloppy.
07:25 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
jwicklun
Never forget.
San Francisco, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
Of course it was intentional. If things happened accidentally in the film, I would just accuse Reitman of being sloppy.

But I mean the character is supposed to be disliked. I don't think Reitman was sneering down on the town, the towns people themselves were clearly better than her.
07:39 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
But I mean the character is supposed to be disliked. I don't think Reitman was sneering down on the town, the towns people themselves were clearly better than her.

There are several instances in the film where he looks down on it in comparison to Minneapolis. The girl who asks the main character to take her there, the constant allusions to chain restaurants, and so on.
07:51 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
jwicklun
Never forget.
San Francisco, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
There are several instances in the film where he looks down on it in comparison to Minneapolis. The girl who asks the main character to take her there, the constant allusions to chain restaurants, and so on.

The deal with the girl in the end is she is living in a delusion as well. She has warped view that somehow Mavis "got out" of the town, and is living a "successful" city life. She was basically the relapse to Mavis's sociopathic nature, the girl in high school that worshiped Mavis's popularity.
08:00 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
The deal with the girl in the end is she is living in a delusion as well. She has warped view that somehow Mavis "got out" of the town, and is living a "successful" city life. She was basically the relapse to Mavis's sociopathic nature, the girl in high school that worshiped Mavis's popularity.

No. The smile by the main character is an indication that she realizes that, even if she couldn't get her man back, she doesn't live in this town anymore and can go back to Minneapolis. The main character is troubled, but we are supposed to sympathize with her.
11:48 PM on 01/31/13 
User Info.
ZeoVGM
PINK WIG, THICK ASS.
Bridgewater, MA
Male - 28 Years Old
As long as he's not directing another Diablo Cody script, I'm in.

Young Adult was great though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version