Username
Password
Contest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Contest
Inside AP.net

AP.net Contest: El Jefe Poster Giveaway

Posted by: Drew Beringer (02/01/13)
I believe most of you are familiar with El Jefe Design. He's the man behind some of those classic The Gaslight Anthem poster designs, as well as other bands. Today we're giving away some of his prints and calendars. All you have to do to enter is post a design from his site that you like and explain why. Prize details are in the replies. Good luck!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 56
09:52 AM on 02/01/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Prize Details1st place (1 winner) gets the 9 "Monsters of Gaslight" posters collection, which was totally sold out on their headlining east coast run last year, a Handwritten 19x25 silk screen poster and a 2013 El Jefe Design Calendar

2nd place (2 winners) get a 2013 El Jefe Design Calendar.
09:54 AM on 02/01/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This is awesome.
10:04 AM on 02/01/13
cholly
User Info.

It's a (relatively) simple, three color design, but it perfectly conveys the mood of the band and the season.
10:15 AM on 02/01/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.

It might be the obvious choice but I really enjoy the Never Let You Down series. I've been personally affected by Sandy and this poster is a symbol for hope and rebuild. Quick story, my family and I always rented shore houses for a week every year since 1998. It was a family getaway from the usual hustle and bustle of life. We would always save up every year and think one day we would have our own shore house. In 2010, we saved up enough money to buy a run-down shack in the middle of the ocean and the bay in Ortley Beach (next town over from Seaside). The summer of 2011, we rebuilt and dropped another 30k for renovations. Last summer was the first time we could enjoy the house we rebuilt. Who knew it would've been all gone in the matter of 24 hours? We headed over there a few weeks ago to get a few things that weren't damaged. Against the police's orders, we decided to see the destruction close to the beach. The pictures and videos you see on the news DO NOT do it justice. Some people had it WAYYY worse than we did. Fast forward to last month, FEMA chose not to give us any money because our flood insurance somehow didn't cover the damage. Now my family and I have to save up again to fix up our getaway home.

If I win the 9 posters, I'd hang up all of them in my room when the house is fixed up. I'll put the Never Let You Down poster I already have right in the middle.
10:16 AM on 02/01/13
theredline
Brian Gallows
User Info.
http://xeroproject.com/elJefe/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/illo_shoe_wingtips.jpg

I like the Shoe Project since I actually sell shoes for a job...kinda cool
10:20 AM on 02/01/13
schmalz
...with the saves the day record on
User Info.

I like this image because I like Further Seems Forever and their new album Penny Black.

The girl lying dead holding the bible and the flower could mean many things.
10:29 AM on 02/01/13
jimesq
User Info.

Gaslight's music evokes blue collar, perhaps star-crossed love, and this poster captures the early feelings of lust perfectly. It's clear that neither character is perfect, nor is a car the most comfortable place for a make out session, but everything worked out to lead to that particular moment.

That, and this was the first El Jefe print I bought, so it brings back memories of an awesome tour.
10:50 AM on 02/01/13
itsbigmitch
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

After a summer travelling through Canada and the US a few years ago, I ended up at VFest in Baltimore at Pimlico Race Course. In the tiny marketplace of booths filled with craft vendors and non profit organizations, we first discovered El Jefe Designs. We got to meet and say hello, I bought 4 posters right away and became a fan for life. Since then I have ordered a couple of posters and he continues to be a huge inspiration to me both as an artist myself, and as a passionate pursuer or your dreams.

I have since decided to go for it as an artist, and have recently been right in the thick of that really shitty part, where it's seemingly impossible to make money doing what you love, and at every turn there is opposition that makes you question not only your choice to do this, but your skill and ability as a creative person. I'm slowly coming out on the other side of things, knowing that this is what I was meant to do thanks to both friends and family for their incredible support, but also people like El Jefe who are living proof that this can be done. That is truly amazing.

I love this piece, and this whole series, and I would love a new collection to hang in my studio and be constantly inspired by. It would mean the world.
10:53 AM on 02/01/13
btown4life
User Info.

This is the first (and only) El Jefe print I acquired (except in a different color.) The pictures absolutely don't do it justice. I am a big fan of song lyrics, and many of Gaslight's are among my favorites. The background image is a detailed map of the area I was born/raised in, and I can see all of my favorite places on there.

I was lucky enough to be at this small acoustic show, in a city that is near and dear to my heart. If you're unfamiliar with Asbury Park, it's a place on the Jersey Shore whose streets and bars are bustling with musical history. The Boss himself got his start at some of these places, and still makes guest appearances regularly. I thought the highlight of my life was seeing Bruce finally come on stage during a Gaslight show! Thinking about that moment still gives me chills. So when I got word from a friend of a friend that Gaslight was playing at this bar one random night in March, I jetted over there by myself because I didn't want to miss it. The room was packed to capacity, which was probably about 150 people. I didn't see anyone I knew, but I felt like I was in a room full of friends; everyone was just soaking up the music and the lyrics and the atmosphere.

There is something about hearing songs stripped down to their bones that I really enjoy. It was also great to see Brian in a more relaxed and casual setting, in a room full of people just enjoying the music. The bar no longer exists (RIP Press Room) but I will always look back on this night as the epitome of why I love music, and Asbury Park so much.
10:54 AM on 02/01/13
Farva2
Registered Member
User Info.

This was my first El jefe (1st of many) and kind of opened my eyes to both band related art and screenprinted art. I remember stumbling upon this on facebook and going mad trying to track it down and order it. Today it sits framed on my wall. Old haunts was one of my favorite tracks off of American Slang. The posters accurately represents the "Cherry Bomb" that Fallon sings of in this lyric
"oh cherry bomb, you are a mystery. exploding sparkling, quiet nights. my teenage heart pumped all my misery, baby, to fingertips that might" This image evokes beauty, loss, and hints at danger. El jefe is a gifted artist and I am proud to own this and many other pieces of his and I dont plan to stop soon either.
10:59 AM on 02/01/13
neko_courtney
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I love the colors of this poster and the vintage feel with the border. As with most of El Jefe's work, I love the romantic feel. I also love the car theme that is in a lot of El Jefe's Gaslight Anthem posters. Also, this was the first tour I saw The Gaslight Anthem on so it brings back great memories.
11:02 AM on 02/01/13
njshorefan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

It's really hard to choose a favorite El Jefe poster, but the Convention Hall perfectly captures that moment in time. It was such a special night in the little city by the sea. Hometown show in front of their hardcore fan base in a very historic venue. Little did everyone know the surprise that we were in store for when the band had a special guest that night. None other than music legend, Bruce Springsteen. I can't even come close to describing the energy that was in the building that night. So many people left with he biggest smile on their faces, including the band members themselves. I was lucky enough to have met the guys before the show and they truly showed how down to earth they really are. All of Jeffrey Everett designs are really amazing and his talent is one of a kind. This poster completes the imagery of the bands lyrics through his art. Always something special when El Jefe completes the next one and is shown to the public. Here is to many more!!
11:06 AM on 02/01/13
jlinitz
Johnny B
User Info.

I like this design because I stumbled upon it in Print Magazine. I am an aspiring Graphic Design student at Binghamton University and my intro to GD professor told me to look through the magazine and find something that I liked. I was shocked when I saw a Transit tour poster in this prestigious magazine (being that they are a relatively small band.. well not on this site but you get what I mean right?). This poster is how I discovered El Jefe Design and he is now an inspiration to me.

My favorite element in the design itself is the use of silhouetted images. I also like how the type on the billboard creates a contrast and becomes the main subject of the composition. The use of the bright orange in the Transit logo and the fireworks also brings the whole composition together.
11:06 AM on 02/01/13
btown4life
User Info.

It's really hard to choose a favorite El Jefe poster, but the Convention Hall perfectly captures that moment in time. It was such a special night in the little city by the sea. Hometown show in front of their hardcore fan base in a very historic venue. Little did everyone know the surprise that we were in store for when the band had a special guest that night. None other than music legend, Bruce Springsteen. I can't even come close to describing the energy that was in the building that night. So many people left with he biggest smile on their faces, including the band members themselves. I was lucky enough to have met the guys before the show and they truly showed how down to earth they really are. All of Jeffrey Everett designs are really amazing and his talent is one of a kind. This poster completes the imagery of the bands lyrics through his art. Always something special when El Jefe completes the next one and is shown to the public. Here is to many more!!
that show was amazing, and I always regret not buying this poster!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests