AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Recording News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Phoenix Bought "Thriller" Recording Console For New Album

Posted by - 12:37 PM on 02/07/13
Phoenix's new album, Bankrupt!, was mixed on the Harrison 4032 solid-state recording console used to make Michael Jackson's legendary Thriller.
"The most mysterious part to me was that no one else-- no nerd or music engineer or memorabilia freak-- seemed to want it," frontman Thomas Mars told The New Yorker. "There was something a little spooky about him [Rose]. He was very pushy. It seemed like a scam. " After a prolonged and skeptical online back-and-forth with Rose, Mars committed to the console for a price of $17,000 (the original asking price was $32,000) and shipped it to Paris to begin mixing Bankrupt!.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
12:49 PM on 02/07/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
Hence the album title?
12:49 PM on 02/07/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Well played my man.
01:07 PM on 02/07/13
Calvin Lauber
User Info.
That's pretty fucking cool and an incredible deal for such a legendary piece of equipment.
01:08 PM on 02/07/13
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
Very cool.
01:28 PM on 02/07/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
$17,000 for a mixing console? So you might say they're....:puts shades on:....bankrupt?

/showmethedoor
01:28 PM on 02/07/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
FUCK beat me to my bad joke
01:29 PM on 02/07/13
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
Good for them and all that jazz, but it seems like many bands these days say "oh we recorded our new album directly to tape" or "we recorded it all live", and then the album actually comes out and...it sounds like any other album mixing/production-wise. I guess I'm just one of those people who doesn't pay much attention to production/mixing (whatever the difference is), unless it sounds like shit, of course. So yeah, uh...way to go, Phoenix...?
01:32 PM on 02/07/13
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
crazy! and awesome
01:41 PM on 02/07/13
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
That's pretty sweet.

I want this album!
01:58 PM on 02/07/13
skibby15
Registered Member
User Info.
awesome!
02:00 PM on 02/07/13
theskycouldfly
Bluth Family
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
no PROFESSIONAL engineering would buy that in their right mind! i used the desk they record tons of metallica records..so what. vintage gear is a pain in the ass, tack an extra $50k a year just for maintenance.. that poor band just wasted a ton of money, suckers.
02:05 PM on 02/07/13
JWillTrick
User Info.
no PROFESSIONAL engineering would buy that in their right mind! i used the desk they record tons of metallica records..so what. vintage gear is a pain in the ass, tack an extra $50k a year just for maintenance.. that poor band just wasted a ton of money, suckers.

What are you trying to say? Are you implying that no professional engineers buy and use consoles?
02:17 PM on 02/07/13
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
i think they are either nerds, music engineers, or memorabilia freaks.
02:31 PM on 02/07/13
2's&3's
deep in thoug...
User Info.
i'll buy that desk for $23,000

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version