Username
Password
Brand New News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Brand New
Inside AP.net

Does The Secrecy Help Brand New?

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/08/13)
After the post last night that got everyone talking about Brand New, I made a quip on Twitter about this band getting a reaction unlike any I've ever seen on our website. This led to a response asking if Brand New were more open and released information more frequently to everyone -- would the same reaction occur?

I say no.

I love this band with an almost #cutforbieber mentality; however, I do think that the secrecy and general lack of information surrounding them adds to the furor. I mean, some random dude talking to Jesse and posting about it on Twitter caused a gif-tastic explosion and this happens virtually every single time the band is even hinted about. Just the idea that Shone was somehow Brand New related caused the biggest news thread of all time on the website. And the lead singer not being Jesse caused an almost equal backlash. Does this work so well for Brand New because of their two famed releases? We don't see the same kind of intense passion for other bands that are also more mysterious.

Thoughts?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 120.
10:47 AM on 02/08/13
Simonthm
User Info.
After the post last night that got everyone talking about Brand New, I made a quip on Twitter about this band getting a reaction unlike any I've ever seen on our website. This led to a response asking if Brand New were more open and released information more frequently to everyone -- would the same reaction occur?

I say no.

I love this band with an almost #cutforbieber mentality; however, I do think that the secrecy and general lack of information surrounding them adds to the furor. I mean, some random dude talking to Jesse and posting about it on Twitter caused a gif-tastic explosion and this happens virtually every single time the band is even hinted about. Just the idea that Shone was somehow Brand New related caused the biggest news thread of all time on the website. And the lead singer not being Jesse caused an almost equal backlash. Does this work so well for Brand New because of their two famed releases? We don't see the same kind of intense passion for other bands that are also more mysterious.

Thoughts?

You are on dead on with this.

I'm still scratching my head over the 3 random posters they released a while back. Caused a shitstorm too.
10:47 AM on 02/08/13
airik625
you mess with the bull...
User Info.
I've thought about this before, and I say yes. Their secrecy absolutely throws gas(oline) on the already fuming hysteria that is Brand New.
10:50 AM on 02/08/13
emoishardcore
emoishardcore
User Info.
i agree. i have always thought it odd with jesse/brand new's admiration for some foreign press but never in the states. at the same time it does add to the bands allure.

i laughed when the Devil and God was leaked, well at least the demos, and what did we see when the album was released? These short one to two word titles. Not sure if this was on purpose of not but it looked like their little way at getting back.

at the same time, I will always give them credit for doing things their way (at least as of recent) and in a day and age where we are so used to twitter/instagram/podcast updates or v-blogs about their new albums, it's nice to have a band keep things on the down low and keep you guessing.

it's like a JJ Abrams movie minus the confusing trailers.
10:50 AM on 02/08/13
EvilZeppelin
FUZZZZZZ
User Info.
I promise not to jack this thread with Kate Upton...

EDIT: fuck it.

10:51 AM on 02/08/13
airik625
you mess with the bull...
User Info.
I promise not to jack this thread with Kate Upton...
Don't make a promise no one wants you to keep.
10:53 AM on 02/08/13
theHECKLER
User Info.
I'll probably get roasted for this but...

I think Brand New is popular on this site for nostalgia reasons riding the wave from their highly well received sophomore album even though their last two albums were met with mixed reviews. And the hype is for them to make an album that is just as great and they're just as bad as Saosin in regards to being mysterious. Just my opinion.
10:54 AM on 02/08/13
cowlord
stahp
User Info.
Yeah, I think so.

Some artists release new music and demos and update everyone on their every move. And that's fine. But people take it for granted. For example, I love Say Anything, but whenever I see Max Bemis/one of his project's puts out a new song I'm just like "ehhh, I'll listen to it eventually".
10:54 AM on 02/08/13
blimpcityhero11
Registered Fraud
User Info.
I agree that it's a definite no.

It definitely seems to work for them financially. As they continue with this kind of practice, tours for them seem to get bigger (also, more expensive) because fans never seem to know if this is going to be the last time they would be able to see them live. This is where they're going to make the majority of their money these days, so it's quite a smart angle to take. As for the albums, I'm not sure it matters one way or another. Most would list Deja Entendu and The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me as two of their favorite albums of all time, so, whether it hits us out of the blue or they're screaming the news from the mountaintops, there will likely be that huge demand due to the possibility for another fantastic album.
10:56 AM on 02/08/13
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
I agree. Daisy came out of nowhere for me, I had no clue they were recording and then it leaked somewhere.
10:56 AM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

I think Brand New is popular on this site for nostalgia reasons riding the wave from their highly well received sophomore album even though their last two albums were met with mixed reviews. And the hype is for them to make an album that is just as great and they're just as bad as Saosin in regards to being mysterious. Just my opinion.
I'd say that TDAG is seen by most fans as their best album -- and is definitely the higher rated of the two when it comes to reviews (Daisy is higher than Deja from a critical review stand point).

And I've never seen 1/100th of this buzz (here or elsewhere) for Saosin.
10:59 AM on 02/08/13
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.

Devil/God was mixed?
10:59 AM on 02/08/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
I'm a Brand New fan and I'm still baffled as to why everyone on this site goes so crazy for them.
11:00 AM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yeah, I think so.

Some artists release new music and demos and update everyone on their every move. And that's fine. But people take it for granted. For example, I love Say Anything, but whenever I see Max Bemis/one of his project's puts out a new song I'm just like "ehhh, I'll listen to it eventually".

Interesting parallel. I get the same way ... if there's too much stuff (I stopped even trying to collect all of Max's projects), then almost the opposite happens. I've done that same thing too.
11:01 AM on 02/08/13
RabidNewz
User Info.
It seems like it would make it really difficult to be a casual fan of the band because someone who isn't really devoted to Brand New won't have the patience to put up with all the teases and non-news.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests