AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Jono Goes To The Movies - "Warm Bodies"

Posted by - 01:23 PM on 02/08/13
We're back with a new "Jono Goes To The Movies" column from The Swellers' drummer Jonathan Diener, where he gives his thoughts and opinions on new (and old) movies. Do you have any movies you'd like him to review? Put your suggestions in the comments. Hit the replies to read his review of Warm Bodies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
01:23 PM on 02/08/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Jono Goes To The Movies: Warm BodiesA few months ago a friend told me there was a movie being made about a zombie who becomes self-aware, falls in love and tries to change. I thought it was a hilarious concept but had absolutely no idea how they would pull it off. You could either make it an over the top comedy, a sappy love story, or a dry tongue-in-cheek film hoping people would see the subtle ridiculousness. Well, it seems the result is a combination of all three potential routes. As always, I would've enjoyed a bigger percentage of humor or seriousness, but this treaded on some strange waters where it left me second-guessing if I really liked what was going on or was just mesmerized by Hollywood's less scandalous answer to Kristen Stewart, the beautiful Teresa Palmer.

At first I thought it was strange that the star of Warm Bodies was Josh Hartnett playing himself. About 30 minutes into the film I realized it was actually an actor Nicholas Hoult playing a zombie. Close enough, I guess. At first you get annoyed with the narrative of R (the lead zombie) and the way he's limping, and the Twilight-esque makeup on his face. Over time you get used to it and start focusing a little more on the story. Like I mentioned above, the comedic elements were saved in a few spots but I don't think they were executed with the "oomph" that the writers had hoped to achieve. The zombies start talking (not a spoiler, it's in the trailer) and some even swear… wow… crazy! There's also times you start questioning things happening in the plot… until you realize zombies don't exist so there's a little bit of leg room for embelishment.

Seeing John Malkovich in the opening credits got my hopes pretty high, because anything he touches turns to gold. Unfortunately he didn't have a major role, let alone a bizarre/humorous role in this story. Rob Corddry was one of the most lovable characters as R's close zombie friend, but it seems they tried to dump all of the jokes into his mumbling zombie mouth.

It was light-hearted and nice, but when your friends ask you what you did last night, you probably won't remember. Seems they could have spent a bit more time writing and avoided the Disney overtones even though it was supposed to be an "edgy dark" comedy. I normally don't give a rating, and I can't say it "sucked" or it was "great", but I'll give it a about 70%.
01:28 PM on 02/08/13
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
User Info.
I always enjoy reading these; haha guess I'm going to skip this movie.
01:29 PM on 02/08/13
Anthony Sorendino
You are not your idea.
User Info.
Hmmm... I think I'll still and go see it. Thanks for the write-up!
01:36 PM on 02/08/13
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
A Good Day To Die Hard!!!

Can't wait to see it.
02:20 PM on 02/08/13
ChaseTx
I actually really liked it. Much in the same vein as Zombieland, though admittedly not as fast-paced or funny. Overall, it was just a cute movie.
02:49 PM on 02/08/13
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Nice review, I'm skipping cause I'm tired as hell of zombies. I don't understand how nobody ever seems to get tired of them.
02:59 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Might see.
03:05 PM on 02/08/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
this is a definitely rental for me. also going to rent FLIGHT tonight so I'm excited for that.
03:09 PM on 02/08/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Accurate.
03:10 PM on 02/08/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
this is a definitely rental for me. also going to rent FLIGHT tonight so I'm excited for that.
Try not to laugh at the hospital scene. You'll know which one I'm talking about.
03:17 PM on 02/08/13
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
I actually really liked it. Much in the same vein as Zombieland, though admittedly not as fast-paced or funny. Overall, it was just a cute movie.

Pretty much how I feel about it.
03:19 PM on 02/08/13
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
Nice review, I'm skipping cause I'm tired as hell of zombies. I don't understand how nobody ever seems to get tired of them.

But it's not your average zombie movie. I'm tired of zombie horror movies but this doesn't try to be scary at all. It's pretty much a rom-com though, so if you hate those then you might not like this too much. Overall though, I'd say it's worth seeing.
03:42 PM on 02/08/13
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.

It's not what you'd expect.
03:46 PM on 02/08/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
It's not what you'd expect.
well isn't basically a legal/court drama-thriller, I know it has very little to do with flying airplanes haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos