AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Fall Out Boy News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Show Review: The Take Over, The Break's Over

Posted by - 02:20 PM on 02/08/13
Last night I had the pleasure of seeing Fall Out Boy play at The Roxy Theater in Los Angeles. This past week has been less about a return/reunion and more about a reinvigoration of the band. In the replies you can read my review of the show and what I think 2013 holds for the band. Spoiler alert: expect 2013 to be the year of the car crash hearts.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 92
02:21 PM on 02/08/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Fall Out Boy Show ReviewI wouldn't say I had doubts about Fall Out Boy's return from hiatus. Everything the band has done leading up to and past this past Monday had been thoroughly planned and executed perfectly. The new song shot up the iTunes' charts. AbsolutePunk.net cannot stop talking about it. It was all my friends over in the Buzznet office could talk about all week. Yet, I couldn't help but feel a little nervousness minutes away from Fall Out Boy hitting the stage at the Roxy in Los Angeles for their third show this week since the announcement. A lot has changed since 2009 - my taste and interests have dramatically changed since Folie a Deux released in late 2008. So I anxiously held my breath as the lights dimmed and the Jay-Z spoken word intro began playing over the speakers. How would I react? Would nostalgia run through my veins? Or would I be that cynical dude now? Have I moved on? Welcome.....it's here...

And then the band paused, as if to look at me and say "c'mon dude, you know you're gonna love this." And during that pregnant pause my nervousness turned into anticipation as I watched Fall Out Boy ripped into "Thriller" and Pete Wentz jumped into the pit to begin one of the best sets of their career.

They kept the rowdiness up with two fan favorites from From Under The Cork Tree: the raucous "I Slept With Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me" and "A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More 'Touch Me.'" I haven't seen the band play live since the Nintendo Fusion Tour in 2005, so finally seeing songs like "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race" and "Hum Hallelujah" performed was really cool; crowd participation was a must during the former, as Stump moved back and forth like a feverish preacher. I felt 17 again as I jumped and climbed my way up the backs of the audience members in front of me during "'Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to Do Today '" and "Grand Theft Autumn (Where Is Your Boy)" - something my 27-year old body might regret tomorrow once it has to get out of bed. Regardless, I had to trick my body into thinking it was 2003 one more time during the colossal triple-knockout encore that included "Homesick at Space Camp," "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs," and the undisputed champion of FOB show closers - "Saturday."

But the thing I kept noticing throughout the night was how much better Fall Out Boy had become as performers. Now, this was my first time seeing the band in almost 8 years but other fans who saw the band live right before the hiatus were telling me after the show about how much the band has improved. It was obvious throughout, especially during the cathartic "What a Catch, Donnie" and the frantic medley that transitioned to and from songs from different eras of the band seamlessly. A fun moment occurred during "Sugar, We're Goin Down," as the group of people I was with catapulted a girl wearing a red shirt up onto the crowd to surf her way up the stage. Turns out that was Cassadee Pope, who joined the band on stage to sing the final hook of the song.

The moment I realized that this is all bigger than a comeback was a moment that once again reaffirmed my my admiration and respect for the band. Patrick Stump told the audience that they didn't want to come back for the wrong reasons; that it had to be the right time and place for the four members of the band. He acknowledged that fans have been clamoring for a Take This To Your Grave 10th anniversary tour but that the band decided against that because they didn't want to take those songs and those memories and turn them into a commodity; it'd cheapen everything that you and I feel about that album. They could have easily taken the easiest route to huge paychecks but decided to once again challenge themselves as musicians. And with that the band launched into their latest single "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)" and within the first 10 seconds it was clear that the band made the right choice. They looked like a new band with something to prove up on that stage; reinvigorated and ready to take over our stereos once again - to save rock and roll. This is a band that isn't going through the motions, rather this is a band with its best material still ahead of them. This song is an absolute monster when played live - you can't truly appreciate its massiveness until you see it like this. This upcoming new album is something that Fall Out Boy 100% believes in; something that's gonna knock us all on our asses. Throughout the night this didn't seem like a band that had just played its first shows in over 3 years, which is a testament to the hard work and preparation Camp FOB put into all this.

So yeah, that nagging nervousness I had minutes before the show was dashed quicker than you can say "Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part To Save The Scene And Stop Going To Shows)." There is no doubt in my mind that this is just the very beginning of Fall Out Boy's domination in 2013. We found a few more seats on the bandwagon, hop on before it's too late. Again.
02:23 PM on 02/08/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This comeback is more than people think it is.
02:27 PM on 02/08/13
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Great read. Got me really hyped for the new album!! Wish I could see them live again..
02:27 PM on 02/08/13
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.

I could tell immediately it's in a huge way. I already love the new single and had a feeling it was even better live. Hot damn!!
02:29 PM on 02/08/13
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
I'm not going to seek a doctor for this raging Fall Out Boner that's lasted over 4 days...
02:31 PM on 02/08/13
chcougar1
User Info.
Drew,

I think your review consists of my exact feelings and reason why I was absolutely livid when I thought that the venue and event promoters had completely screwed me out of getting tickets to see them in Seattle in June. Thankfully I wouldn't give up and was able to get tickets in the 12 minutes they were available after 10am today. So absolutely stoked to see this band again.
02:38 PM on 02/08/13
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
I'm sorry, but what the fuck does this even mean? lol I think people think it is exactly what it is...a new record in 3 months and a bunch of large tours?
02:40 PM on 02/08/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I'm sorry, but what the fuck does this even mean? lol I think people think it is exactly what it is...a new record in 3 months and a bunch of large tours?
It's more than just FOB getting back together. For a band of their size and stature, it has a lot more to do with the current state of music. There aren't really any big rock acts that can cross genres and still be the face of rock music. FOB have the chance to take back the crown with this.
02:44 PM on 02/08/13
Saint_February
User Info.
The new song sucks and sounds like a filler.
02:45 PM on 02/08/13
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
Wouldn't take all that much.
02:46 PM on 02/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Bring it on.
02:49 PM on 02/08/13
Saint_February
User Info.
It's more than just FOB getting back together. For a band of their size and stature, it has a lot more to do with the current state of music. There aren't really any big rock acts that can cross genres and still be the face of rock music. FOB have the chance to take back the crown with this.
I guess thats cool because of all the one direction & bieber fever garbage thats all over media. i see wat your sayin kinda, but seriously... you gotta at least be disappointed with the new FOB song?
02:50 PM on 02/08/13
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
Well I hope their live show has improved. I saw them on tours to support their last two records and they just weren't very into it
02:55 PM on 02/08/13
Tyler Dumont
@tylerdumont
User Info.
I guess thats cool because of all the one direction & bieber fever garbage thats all over media. i see wat your sayin kinda, but seriously... you gotta at least be disappointed with the new FOB song?
Why is it disappointing? It sounds bold and badass to me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos