AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

New Staff Feature: Introducing "My Back...

Posted by: Chris Collum (02/13/13)
We will be premiering a new staff feature entitled "My Back Pages" next Tuesday, February 19th. Jump to the replies for an explanation and a Rdio playlist related to the new feature.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 88
09:26 AM on 02/13/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Too often in this day and age, we get so caught up in the new releases of the week, in which records Pitchfork just elevated with a “Best New Music” tag, or in what’s going to score high on our year-end lists, that we forget to discuss or delve deeper into the classics that built the foundations for everything music is today. Last week, as Drew and Jason scoured the boards for a new hip-hop reviewer, for someone who could bring a much-needed voice to a genre that never gets enough credit, discussion, or exposure around these parts, conversation sprung up about where else AbsolutePunk could expand. And one of our users (big shout out to George) noted that, while our forums act as a melting pot for all sorts of genres—hip-hop included—older music is left almost entirely outside the fold.

Enter “My Back Pages,” a new collaborative feature between myself (Craig) and one of our latest staff additions (Chris, welcome) that will survey a landscape of renowned classics and unheralded gems alike...most of which no one around here ever writes a word about. The rules are simple and loose: we won’t cover anything from this millennium and we will avoid all or most AP.net favorites—though we might make an exception if something is nearing a milestone anniversary. Beyond that, anything is fair game, so if you have an album, artist, or genre you would like to see discussed in this feature, feel free to throw us a few recs. We’ll be working on shaping what we want this thing to to be in the next few weeks, and user comments, suggestions, and overall participation are absolutely pivotal to that.

So sit back and strap yourselves in as we traverse the back pages of popular music, from rock ‘n’ roll to R&B to folk and alt-country, from meticulous studio productions to raw and spontaneous live efforts, and perhaps most importantly, from our speakers to yours.

Now without further ado, we give you a Rdio playlist of songs from some of the albums we will be featuring in the future. Enjoy, and check back on next Tuesday, February 19th for the inaugural edition of "My Back Pages."

09:33 AM on 02/13/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
09:33 AM on 02/13/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
09:34 AM on 02/13/13
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Love it.
09:39 AM on 02/13/13
gonfreaks
User Info.
That's a pretty fantastic playlist and I really like the idea for the feature. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this shape up.
09:43 AM on 02/13/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Let's do it, homies.

Rdio sux tho
09:44 AM on 02/13/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Let's do it, homies.

Rdio sux tho
Gonna make a Spotify version later today
09:45 AM on 02/13/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Gonna make a Spotify version later today

I DON'T LIKE EITHER CHRIS!
09:46 AM on 02/13/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Oh man I'd Run Away by the Jayhawks is one of my favorite songs ever.
09:47 AM on 02/13/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
I DON'T LIKE EITHER CHRIS!
Haha me either man, but they're convenient for things like this

Oh man I'd Run Away by the Jayhawks is one of my favorite songs ever.
Whaaaaat that's awesome! Here I was under the impression that no one on this site besides myself and other Chris (cshadows) had ever heard of them.
09:49 AM on 02/13/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Whaaaaat that's awesome! Here I was under the impression that no one on this site besides myself and other Chris (cshadows) had ever heard of them.

Dude. Come on...I'm from Minneapolis. I've seen The Jayhawks a handful of times.

TTGG is my favorite album from them too.
09:49 AM on 02/13/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.

My mom and dad love them, and that song was on like mix tape for road trips when I was a kid. And Blue.

shoulda called this Throwback Thursdays tho
09:53 AM on 02/13/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Excited for this
09:56 AM on 02/13/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
greatness
Options