AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:04 AM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm starting this thread while at my rig in the lab constantly checking over my shoulder to see if my advisor will walk by.

Who's in it? who loves it (liar)? Who hates it? Gripes/qualms/complaints all welcome. Any stage of grad school, any type of graduate education (science, law, philo, social science, medicine, masters).

So right now my boss has had no interest in my projects for about three-four months and I'm having horrible nightmares.

Funding sucks and the NIH is pure evil.
02:06 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
a speedo model
an enthusiast
Chicago, IL
Male - 26 Years Old
I plan on it. But it feels so good to be done...
03:57 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
fishguts182
Pop Punks For Hugs Not Thugs
New Mexico
Male - 24 Years Old
currently in grad school working on getting my masters in computer engineering. Deciding whether I want to do the thesis option or non-thesis option
06:07 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
ShimmerAndSpill
Be Brave
Tallahassee
Male - 22 Years Old
Hopefully starting a Masters program for Sport Management at FSU in the Fall. Taking the GRE next month.
06:16 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
Hopefully starting a Masters program for Sport Management at FSU in the Fall. Taking the GRE next month.
the GRE is such a weird thing. For most programs it's just a formality but certain PhD programs look for specific scores. For example, my friend enrolled in an astrophys grad program at FSU and they require a perfect score on the math section for acceptance. He prepped for that thing like a beast.
06:17 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
currently in grad school working on getting my masters in computer engineering. Deciding whether I want to do the thesis option or non-thesis option
Is it often the case that getting a phd in comp sci or comp engineering is really for if you want to teach? Most of the guys who live near me are comp sci masters students looking to go straight into industry afterwards.
06:19 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
it's 9:20 right now and I'm still here. Got some weird experimental results which again causes anxiety. I need to go to target and get ramen before they close...
06:20 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
ShimmerAndSpill
Be Brave
Tallahassee
Male - 22 Years Old
the GRE is such a weird thing. For most programs it's just a formality but certain PhD programs look for specific scores. For example, my friend enrolled in an astrophys grad program at FSU and they require a perfect score on the math section for acceptance. He prepped for that thing like a beast.

That's crazy, I had no idea programs required that. Only want the best I suppose. It seems to me like you would do well on the reading and writing if you have a good vocabulary.
09:44 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
fishguts182
Pop Punks For Hugs Not Thugs
New Mexico
Male - 24 Years Old
Is it often the case that getting a phd in comp sci or comp engineering is really for if you want to teach? Most of the guys who live near me are comp sci masters students looking to go straight into industry afterwards.

yeah everyone I know getting a phd in those areas wants to be a professor/teach or wants to end up doing research the rest of their lives. I just want to get my masters and go out into industry and hopefully make some decent money
11:30 PM on 02/13/13 
User Info.
2's&3's
deep in thoug...
i have a good thing going right now. classes and health insurance paid for and a stipend for doing 20 hours a week of GRA work. however, the dissertation process is killing me right now. i would love to fast forward 2 years.
03:59 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
i have a good thing going right now. classes and health insurance paid for and a stipend for doing 20 hours a week of GRA work. however, the dissertation process is killing me right now. i would love to fast forward 2 years.
phd program?
04:00 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
yeah everyone I know getting a phd in those areas wants to be a professor/teach or wants to end up doing research the rest of their lives. I just want to get my masters and go out into industry and hopefully make some decent money
prob the better way to go. I know too many guys who went into comp sci phd, realized how shitty the funding situation is, left with the masters and now are making like 70K starter working for computational consulting firms.
04:19 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
2's&3's
deep in thoug...
Yessir. Thought about doing the MD/PhD program like yourself but then I realized I just couldn't do it. Big ups to you
04:28 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
Yessir. Thought about doing the MD/PhD program like yourself but then I realized I just couldn't do it. Big ups to you
oh nice, in what?

Ya MD/PhD isn't all it's cracked up to be haha. It's a long haul but I'm in no rush really, plus I fell in love with research while in undergrad but always wanted to do medicine.
05:01 PM on 02/14/13 
User Info.
2's&3's
deep in thoug...
I chose something that is very related to medicine--epidemiology. I'm a big fan

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT